How do I attract, interview and hire the right people for the job? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

How do I attract, interview and hire the right people for the job?

Pinosan

Premium VIP
Nov 22, 2011
California
allpointscarpetcare.com
Real Name
Martin Sanchez
Business Location
United States
Can I have those questions in Multiple Choice Please..?
I almost forgot the multiple choice crap here in the States. back in my times in bean land when taking a test our back packs where to be left out of the classroom you where allowed your pencil eraser and three to five white papers nothing else the teacher would walk around the classroom and if one were caught looking at the next kid answers, One would be pulled out of the classroom by the ear or hair, given a F and not allowed in the classroom or school until the teacher talked to the parents.

You do that here, just scratch taking kids out by the hair or ear that was insane even then. Just have a teacher discipline a child now a days. just to take him out of the classroom could be grounds for a law suit. "denying the child the right to be educated"
If They are sent to the principles office, a few years back, at least they made them read a book while they where there, Now the only thing the do is text the homies and show the middle finger to the principle nothing they can do; if the principle gets strict, "verbal abuse claims pop up like Mexicans at the border"

All this youngsters grow with the idea that they have no rights but privileges and the power they once had over a teacher or instructor or even their parents in some cases, attempt to translate it against their bosses and show the same irresponsible behavior it's become a life style that has to be accepted by all members of society or pay the consequences. A few years back late 90's the boss had still the chance to get rid of them and hire the next one. Not anymore, now, the boss has to feed them for full year when he fires them if they so choose to sit on their ass for that long which they do in most cases, Don't forget the drunk useless ones. the boss has to pay for the rehab expenses which in most cases never works, the drunk attends just enough sessions to get out of the situation and later goes back to the bottle or finds a way to get compensated for whatever other excuse.

It all starts at childhood.

aloha one

Scrub a DUB DUB!
Feb 17, 2009
California
Real Name
Dave Moonan
Business Location
United States
I almost forgot the multiple choice crap here in the States. back in my times in bean land when taking a test our back packs where to be left out of the classroom you where allowed your pencil eraser and three to five white papers nothing else the teacher would walk around the classroom and if one were caught looking at the next kid answers, One would be pulled out of the classroom by the ear or hair, given a F and not allowed in the classroom or school until the teacher talked to the parents.

You do that here, just scratch taking kids out by the hair or ear that was insane even then. Just have a teacher discipline a child now a days. just to take him out of the classroom could be grounds for a law suit. "denying the child the right to be educated"
If They are sent to the principles office, a few years back, at least they made them read a book while they where there, Now the only thing the do is text the homies and show the middle finger to the principle nothing they can do; if the principle gets strict, "verbal abuse claims pop up like Mexicans at the border"

All this youngsters grow with the idea that they have no rights but privileges and the power they once had over a teacher or instructor or even their parents in some cases, attempt to translate it against their bosses and show the same irresponsible behavior it's become a life style that has to be accepted by all members of society or pay the consequences. A few years back late 90's the boss had still the chance to get rid of them and hire the next one. Not anymore, now, the boss has to feed them for full year when he fires them if they so choose to sit on their ass for that long which they do in most cases, Don't forget the drunk useless ones. the boss has to pay for the rehab expenses which in most cases never works, the drunk attends just enough sessions to get out of the situation and later goes back to the bottle or finds a way to get compensated for whatever other excuse.

So Very True Martin...In my childhood...the teacher could & Did Whack your AZZ when out of line
And all I was worried about was the AZZ Kicken when I got Home for being a DIK to my teacher..Hell was to be paid by the BELT! Didn't take Much of said BELT to GET IT!

aloha one

Scrub a DUB DUB!
Feb 17, 2009
California
Real Name
Dave Moonan
Business Location
United States

Please Tell Me Amigo..How do I catch a "POP UP" Female Bean at the Border? Is it the Bait,Hook or Wealth?

Pinosan

Premium VIP
Nov 22, 2011
California
allpointscarpetcare.com
Real Name
Martin Sanchez
Business Location
United States
Please Tell Me Amigo..How do I catch a "POP UP" Female Bean at the Border? Is it the Bait,Hook or Wealth?
does not take much bro, just the sincere genuine promise to a better life with no husband beatings and the opportunity to become a successful woman. and last but no least, a nice looking kitchen and the promise to let her cook everyday.

aloha one

Scrub a DUB DUB!
Feb 17, 2009
California
Real Name
Dave Moonan
Business Location
United States
does not take much bro, just the sincere genuine promise to a better life with no husband beatings and the opportunity to become a successful woman. and last but no least, a nice looking kitchen and the promise to let her cook everyday.
FUK IT! I'm getting Divorced and Heading Straight for da Border! Lucky Seven..I'm on my Way Honey!

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
steal them from companies like UPS or similar.

They are usually hard working, understand efficiency, drug free, etc but they are paid shit and treated like shit

but they do get good benefits so that could be hard to match
I thought those guys and gals made top dollar?

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
I can see the difference in people I interview now with my different approach to attracting different potential new hires.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Barrett, if you don't mind me asking what do you do to keep them, anything special?

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
I don't know how you are set up but have tried filling in the possitions and have one or two guys covering days off only.

If you are paying by contract is a little more complicated, but if you are paying by the hr, I would keep them at 30 to 35 in case one quits, you can ask some others to work more hrs. etc
Paid by the hour. It kills me, but I have 1 guy around just to overlap. What kills me is the overlap guy complains the most and does the easiest stuff. And then there's Uncle Sam who doesn't do a damn thing, but I have to pay him like he's on my staff.

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
nope! I have a family member who owns a fedex company. the shift begins at 5:45 AM and ends at 7:00 PM or later
he pays $100 a day. Drivers
C'mon that's it? I'm totally doing something wrong then. I'm gonna head out to Home Depot and purchase the biggest mirror I can find.

Common janitor

Apr 5, 2014
Real Name
Ed Feil
No kidding it's true. the discipline they demand surpasses that of the Army.
Very true . Read a story about UPS and it's strict what they demand of their people . Not unreasonable mind you , just very regimented . Of course, that company is union where Fed Ex is not . My understanding is that UPS does pay more .
All the Best, Ed

Sierra Clean Care

Feb 22, 2015
Real Name
Jeff T.
Seriously for that work & loyalty..Hispanic is the only way I would hire. AS most know..in my Food Service Career..that's all I would hire. Good Honest Reliable employees..just beware of the occasional alcoholic.
Typical Hispanics are more than willing to refer a friend or family member when you need additional help they will cover their own shifts if for some reason they cannot make it to work. Viva La Mexico! Critical to have reliable help. Plus they bring food from home which I steal.
In your area its Hispanics..... Where I am it's Philipino...... Damn hard workers...... My kids nanny is philpino...... GREAT with the kids, GREAT with the house..... If I was hiring outside of family( current situation), it would be someone she knows/ related to.....
Jeff @ SCC

aloha one

Scrub a DUB DUB!
Feb 17, 2009
California
Real Name
Dave Moonan
Business Location
United States
In your area its Hispanics..... Where I am it's Philipino...... Damn hard workers...... My kids nanny is philpino...... GREAT with the kids, GREAT with the house..... If I was hiring outside of family( current situation), it would be someone she knows/ related to.....
Jeff @ SCC
Hear Ya Jeff...Of my 63+ Years on this Planet...Was there a Question? Careful Hiring Friends Of Friends ...Butt You Will..& We ALL Do...Maybe a New Hire should Read this Thread...?

Cleaning Concierge

Jul 13, 2011
New Orleans, LA
Real Name
Barrett Wiley
Business Location
United States
Barrett, if you don't mind me asking what do you do to keep them, anything special?
Nothing special at the moment.

But I am looking into ways to invest in them as people. Help them grow. I am constantly learning, growing and evolving. I starting to demand that from my people.

I will start a book club in the next 2 months where they will read/listen to a books/audio books on personal development, leadership, team work and giving, etc.

Will start doing small things...birthday cards, team oriented goals with prizes, individual recognition for doing the "right work", helping train others, willingness to do extra.

Start to change the culture to one of team work and the greater good (us/team focused)...not just $$$ and hours worked (me focused).

aloha one

Scrub a DUB DUB!
Feb 17, 2009
California
Real Name
Dave Moonan
Business Location
United States
Nothing special at the moment.

But I am looking into ways to invest in them as people. Help them grow. I am constantly learning, growing and evolving. I starting to demand that from my people.

I will start a book club in the next 2 months where they will read/listen to a books/audio books on personal development, leadership, team work and giving, etc.

Will start doing small things...birthday cards, team oriented goals with prizes, individual recognition for doing the "right work", helping train others, willingness to do extra.

Start to change the culture to one of team work and the greater good (us/team focused)...not just $$$ and hours worked (me focused).

With a Carpet Cleaning Company.....? SCIENTOLOGY will NEVER work with Broke Dik Employees! Who the Hell are you Planning on to EMPLOY? Read Books..? Get REAL Bro..."DEMAND" from Yer Peoples? Get a GRIP Boner...You ARE out of Your MIND if you Think for a Second that Will WORK..IT WONT!