How did you start your business?

Paul Reidenouer

Apr 14, 2013
Buffalo, NY
Real Name
Paul Reidenouer
I would like to hear how you all started your business from scratch. It would help me with some ideas and encouragement. I have been in the janitorial business for 10 years but I have made alot of mistakes. I really enjoy doing carpet, floors and want to get into windows and I would like to make the transition. I currently have a portable and that is what I will be using for a while.

I am looking forward to reading what you all have done to start your business from the ground up. Thank you

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
I started working for my father's window cleaning company. Many clients would ask if we could also clean - tile floors, carpets and so forth. Window company was only window cleaning. So, when I was old enough to have a driver's license, I started accepted the other work offers on my own. Carpet cleaning was at first a sideline while I was in school and continued to be a side line part-time business until I encountered a situation where I was forced to quit my full-time job at University of Tennessee Space Institute.

Cleaned with rented equipment for a while. There were few carpet cleaning supply companies around Tennessee in 1968. (I think the closest was in Fresno, CA.) Got an add in the mail about Argo and purchased a few cases along with BAM machine and a rotary. One of my customers moved down from Chicago and told me about truck mounted equipment that had been used at his home in Chicago (1974). I started researching truckmounts and ended up with a used Judson 2 years later.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
Scott I had thought about doing some window cleaning also but I don't know the "s curve" technique ( I think that is what it is called). Does that matter?
Depends upon business of residential versus commercial and window height. You should learn the "S" for any commercial windows you can reach by hand from the ground. Taller commercial work is often pole work. You won't need to do the S on residential.

Check with Steve Andrews (SAA on here) and Lance Golden. I think they both do a lot of window cleaning. It has been many years since I was really active in windows.

Window cleaning is a good way to set yourself apart. Promote the window cleaning work and while you are their take the carpet, tile floors and so forth.

Steve Toburen

Strategies for Success
Jul 15, 2008
Santiago, Dominican Republic
www.StrategiesForSuccess.com
Real Name
Steve Toburen
Business Location
Dominican Republic
Window cleaning is a good way to set yourself apart. Promote the window cleaning work and while you are their take the carpet, tile floors and so forth.
I agree with Scott. Few areas of our industry have the ROI of window washing and especially for a personable owner-operator this well open the door for a lot of other residential services.

Steve Toburen
www.SFS.https://shop.truckmountforums.com.com

PS Paul, I actually have a 12 page checklist of my Top Ten "strategies for start-up success" in carpet cleaning. Just write me at [email protected] and put the phrase "Top 10 Strategies" and I'll send you (or anyone else) a free copy.

Steve Toburen

Strategies for Success
Jul 15, 2008
Santiago, Dominican Republic
www.StrategiesForSuccess.com
Real Name
Steve Toburen
Business Location
Dominican Republic
Are you making that up Scott? A space institute in Tennessee?:)

Scott "makes up" a lot of things, Jay.

Steve

PS Of course, I find myself "inadvertently" doing the same. I blame it on advancing age. Scott doesn't have that excuse.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
Steve Toburen - My bosses will be glad to know I my comments are being used to promote Jon-Don. There goes this years raise.

jaymark1 - Google it University of Tennessee Space Institute along with Arnold Engineering Development Center is the largest wind tunnel test facility for aircraft and space craft in the world. I taught micro-processor design classes just after I got out of high school; later worked in laser velocimitery and then magnetohydrodynamics. Unless a person has worked in those fields, he probably doesn't even know those words.

I would like to hear how you all started your business from scratch. It would help me with some ideas and encouragement. I have been in the janitorial business for 10 years but I have made alot of mistakes. I really enjoy doing carpet, floors and want to get into windows and I would like to make the transition. I currently have a portable and that is what I will be using for a while.

I am looking forward to reading what you all have done to start your business from the ground up. Thank you
Get experience through cleaning friend and family carpet, this experience and more will allow you to become confident in your abilities, then you can start selling and providing quality service. You should maybe start networking , sometimes it's not what you but who you know. Quality service will get referrals. It won't happen overnight but when it does it's super gratifying. Best of luck.
http://www.wilmingtoncarpetcare.com