How did you come up with your business name? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

How did you come up with your business name?

Jim08087

Nov 4, 2014
Real Name
James most
Originally, we were namd Tile Doctor. No one had it in PA. , but some cry baby down south had that name too for a totally different type of business. (and we had it first too ;) ) He made a threat to take me to court over the name. We (and my lawyer) decided it was not worth the fight so it was changed to FloorCareMD to keep the medical theme to match our product names and service.
This time it is Trademarked..
PS we also expanded into commercial carpet cleaning so being forced to drop the Tile Doctor name was a positive thing.
So if I named my business "Jim's Carpet Cleaning" some bonehead can sue me for already having that name? WTF

FloorCareMD

Apr 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
Real Name
Mike Craig
Business Location
United States
anyone can sue for anything. Don't mean they will win the suit. You can register your fictitious name with your county, state, but if it is not trademarked, then yes they can sue. Registering means squat.
We would have won the case* had we chosen to spend the time and money to travel down to his state and go to court but it was not really worth it.
* not competing for same type of customers/business; was registered in our state legally; was used by us for several years prior.

BrainStorm

Sep 20, 2014
Real Name
Michael Judd
You guys are all much more analytical than me. Around 40 years ago my buddy and I were sitting around our (rented) house on Vilano Beach in St. Augustine, FL trying to think of a name for our crummy little janitorial service we wanted to start to pay the rent.

After a few adult beverages we thought, "Why not consider names of mountain ranges?" So we foggily kicked around "Cascade" (too much like a dishwasher detergent" and then (working our way south) lighted on the name "Sierra"! And so we became Sierra Cleaning! (I eventually added "& Reservation Services")

Steve

PS Ironically, it was only after we moved to the Dominican Republic to do volunteer work and learned Spanish that I found out what "Sierra" actually meant! :)
What part of the D.R. do you visit? My wife is Dominican and we also do volunteer work there. She's from Santo Domingo but we mostly stay in Samana.

BrainStorm

Sep 20, 2014
Real Name
Michael Judd
When I started, I was doing cleaning part-time in a small town where many folks knew me. I had many 1 column inch ads in the local weekly paper that each had the format

Scott Cleans
Carpet
967-2806

The middle line might say "Upholstery" or "Shag" etc.

This was never intended to be a name. But people started calling me Scott Cleans. I even got much of my mail with that name. So, I did not fight it. When I became a full-time company, employees, lettered van and so forth, it was Scott Cleans.
The best names always grow organically. Neat story.

Reactions: Scott W

BrainStorm

Sep 20, 2014
Real Name
Michael Judd
ServiceLab is the name of my building maintenance business. The idea is to consolidate their needs into one invoice; janitorial, VCT, carpet, windows, supplies, etc. We consult with them, define their needs and go back to our lab and create the perfect service for them.

My carpet cleaning business is called REALCLEAN. That one is self explanatory.

Jose Holguin

Premium VIP
Oct 20, 2012
Vail, CO
Real Name
Jose Holguin
Business Location
United States
ServiceLab is the name of my building maintenance business. The idea is to consolidate their needs into one invoice; janitorial, VCT, carpet, windows, supplies, etc. We consult with them, define their needs and go back to our lab and create the perfect service for them.

My carpet cleaning business is called REALCLEAN. That one is self explanatory.
ServiceLab, bad ass name.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
anyone can sue for anything. Don't mean they will win the suit. You can register your fictitious name with your county, state, but if it is not trademarked, then yes they can sue. Registering means squat.
We would have won the case* had we chosen to spend the time and money to travel down to his state and go to court but it was not really worth it.
* not competing for same type of customers/business; was registered in our state legally; was used by us for several years prior.
That's F'd up that someone would pull shit like that. After reading your post I started looking into getting trademark. I see a few companies in different states are using the name I chose.

Lars

Apr 8, 2011
CA
manhattanbeachcarpetcleaners.net
Real Name
Lars Crampton
Business Location
United States
JC'S Carpet Cleaning was named after my father Jim Crampton. His friends would always call him JC so he just went with it. A lot of people think we are big bible thumpers, but we did sell one of our old vans to a guy out in the Bible Belt and he kept the van logos on and is crushing it with that name out their!
I kept the name to honor my dad and the family business

FloorCareMD

Apr 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
Real Name
Mike Craig
Business Location
United States
That's F'd up that someone would pull shit like that. After reading your post I started looking into getting trademark. I see a few companies in different states are using the name I chose.
Check if it is trademarked. If not, beat them to it is my suggestion.

BrainStorm

Sep 20, 2014
Real Name
Michael Judd
A buddy of mine named his business Keep it Clean. He started in 1981. First "steam" cleaner in the Knoxville area.

Hoss4x4

Sep 25, 2011
Real Name
Dennis Graham
Business Location
United States
We tried 100 names and didn't like any. The only one we liked was used. I finally said, picking a name needs to be Priority One Damit! I just meant we needed to figure it our right away. My wife said.............I love it! So we are now Priority One Property Services.

Reactions: Spooney and johnp94

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
A buddy of mine named his business Keep it Clean. He started in 1981. First "steam" cleaner in the Knoxville area.
I chose "keep it clean" for the forum before I met anyone here. At first didn't want to use my real name on a forum. then I quickly realized that this is not just a regular forum. People here really know each other and help one another. Other forums I've been on i past. They would more or less bash eachother instead of help.
Keep it Clean is a great name for a cleaner. Very easy for customers to remember.:)

Reactions: rob allen

johnp94

May 11, 2010
San Diego
Real Name
john
Business Location
United States
Driving down the highway I saw a billboard sign that said reward. That word just caught my attention , now thinking of a word to catch someone's attention. Came up with Award. Catches someone's attention, links with someone thinking their getting something, and started with an A.

Reactions: Spooney and Scott W

bcates2011

Feb 12, 2012
mo
Real Name
buddy cates
Business Location
United States
Mine was Dyna-Clean when I started in 1985. I read the verse in the Good Book that said the creator is dynamic in power. After selling my first 5 truck company in 1993 I restarted the year after my non-compete ended. I went with Drynclean for 2 reasons. One is had same ring as my first Company. Second,I focused on getting carpets dry and clean before I left. How about you?
I am starting my first trailer mount do you have any tips?

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States

Dirty dog paws

Jun 12, 2014
melbourne
Real Name
justin bolster
Dirty dog paws tile and carpet cleaning. The name evolved through having two pets and three teenagers in the house hold. I was in need of professional equipment and products to keep up..one thing lead to another and got very involved in the process/business of cleaning. I am not sold on the name , for commercial work it has tobe abbreviated to DDp Tile and carpet cleaning.Quality of work delivered and professional relationship that evolve are essential ,