How can i get started with a pressure washer business

aragundi81

May 23, 2013
Hi my name is Darwin from florida, i would like on getting into the pressure washing business but i dont have any experience, im thinking on renting a machine and pressure washing my moms house to she if this is something i really want to do. i have about $5000 to start and i own a envoy GMC 2003, im wondering if i can get started with that. my wife and i also have like about 80 customer we clean there house but like 30 of them are snow birds, i had mention them about the pressure cleaning gig i want to open and they are interested in using my services in the near future. please help me figure this one out. thanks for your help.

Ken Raddon

Jul 22, 2010
UT
Real Name
Ken Raddon
Business Location
United States
I agree there are a lot better places for power washing info than this place.

I would also go to local power washing suppliers and get what info they can offer.

johnp94

May 11, 2010
San Diego
Real Name
john
Business Location
United States
This is a great place for pressure washing info. Since you already have a tow vehicle you are off to a good start. $5,000 is a good amount to start off with. Get a website built, get magneting business cards, network with pool cleaners and landscapers so they can refer you to their customers. I just purchased a 5x10 trailer with a 20 hp 5 1/2 gallon per minute pressure washer, two ladders, two hose reels, two water tanks, small pump for roof cleaning, one surface cleaner, spray guns and hoses also. I paid $4,700 for it. I priced it at $4,300 but I did not want to spend more time searching for a rig. I will start November first in Palm Beach Florida. You can come on some jobs with me if you want. It is dirty work and it is brutally hot on the roofs during summer time but there is a demand for the service in Florida. Pressure washing the house is not the biggest demand. The roofs, driveways, side walks and pool patios will need cleaning. If you were referring to those then you were on the right track. You will need to get a surface cleaner to hook up to the pressure washer. If you clean with just the wand it will take 20 times longer and you might take a toe off. A 13 horse power pressure washer will work great and is strong enough to spin the surface cleaner. Look for a 18 inch or 20 inch surface cleaner to use with a 13 HP pressure washer.

Reactions: tri-state

aragundi81

May 23, 2013
Hi john thanks for the advice, so are you from palm beach. i would love to get my hands on before buying any equipment. i will be very thanks full if get to go with you to some jobs. were you bought your trailer?

johnp94

May 11, 2010
San Diego
Real Name
john
Business Location
United States
I'm in New York for the summer. I return to Florida November 1st. The setup I purchased is around $9,000 new. I paid much less because everything is used. The seller was stuck on $5,200. It all added up to $4,300 but I paid the extra. Line up some work then go to a pressure washing place. Blast off on military trail or J&N on congress ave. Rent a pressure washer and surface cleaner for the day. Blast off"s number is 561-964-6199. Stick to cleaning concrete first. To clean roofs you need a spray pump, surflo will do the job. Use around 40% pool chlorine and 60% water. Add dish detergent to help it stick to the roof, let it dwell then rinse with a garden hose. You also have to rinse down all the shrubbery so you do not kill it with the chlorine. You can get a decent trailer for $400 - $500. put a used 13 Horse power pressure washer on it. You hook up to the customers outdoor water spikot and your in business. used pressure washer will be $700 - $800. a used surface cleaner will be $300.00. New hose will be $100.00 for 50 feet. You can put a 200 gallon water tank on it and a 50 gallon tank to hold the chlorine. I recommend 200 feet of pressure washing hose, 200 feet for chemical spray hose and 100 feet of garden hose. You will need a ladder. Also degreaser for the oil stains on driveways.

aragundi81

May 23, 2013
hey john how about insurance is it expensive here in florida. and how about a license for pressure cleaning , from what i heard we dont need any here in florida?

johnp94

May 11, 2010
San Diego
Real Name
john
Business Location
United States
Thanks for the reminder on the insurance. I have insurance for carpet cleaning that cost $67 per month. I need to check for insurance for pressure washing. It will be around $60 per month but I believe it will be more if you are cleaning roofs. The last time I had insurance for pressure washing I had it to cover one story if you go higher they charge more. Yes you will need a license for pressure washing. Figure out your business name then go to www.sunbiz.org to register your ficticious name and choose sole proprietor for your doing business as. Then go to your town to pay for your license. They will sign off on the zoning approval. Then take that to your county tax collector and pay for your county license. Then take that copy back to your town and they will give you an official copy of your license. Line up some driveways to clean then rent the pressure washer for the day. I know a guy who does auto detailing and pressure washing of ground surfaces only ( no roofs ). I'm not a big fan of that because you will be bringing dirt into your vehicle that has your car wash cleaning supplies. Dirt and auto detailing don't mix. Five months left and I will return to Florida. Winter is busier because all the snow birds return and spend money.

Reactions: aragundi81

aragundi81

May 23, 2013
hey john you have any friends here in florida that does pressure cleaning, im really interested in learning how to use a pressure washer and anything that has to do with it. i can work for free until i learn everything i need to learn. in the next 2 or 3 weeks im goin to buy my system but before that happen. i would love to learn everything i need to learn. please if anyone interested call me 561-667-1688.....

johnp94

May 11, 2010
San Diego
Real Name
john
Business Location
United States
I don't have any ones number. Go to Blast off and they will show you a little. They have full trailer setups at all times. They also have free auto detailing classes the first Saturday of each month 9 am and that is a great time to look around to see the equipment and ask questions.

aragundi81

May 23, 2013
yes the other day i went to blast off and it was pretty exciting, the only problem was that the guy that was helping me was rushing me with my question because they were very busy. he offert this trailer the only problem is that it is a cold water pressure washer machine. $3895.00

Attachments

johnp94

May 11, 2010
San Diego
Real Name
john
Business Location
United States
You do not need heat. I never had heat and my unit I just purchased does not have it. Heat would be beneficial to clean gas stations. You do not need it for residential. Keep it simple at the start then you can upgrade. You will always have a use for a 13 hp pressure washer. If you get a trailer be sure it has room to fit a 50 gallon tank for roof cleaning. If your buying with cash it would be better to buy everything used. The seller would even train you. You can get that set up for $2,000 used.

aragundi81

May 23, 2013
HI OK JOHN AND MR. PRESIDENTIAL CLEANING, YOU GUYS CONVIENCED ME ON GETTING THE COLD PRESSURE CLEANER AND THEN LATER I CAN UP GRADE. BUT NOW I DONT WANT TO GET A USED ONE BECAUSE I DONT WANT TO DEAL WITH THE MACHINE BREAKING DOWN, I HONESTLY DONT HAVE ANY MECHANIC EXPERIENCE. I WOULD NOT MINE SPENDING SOME EXTRA MONEY ON A NEW PRESSURE WASHER TRAILER. I REALLY WANTED TO GET THE COMPLETE PACKAGE WITH THE VACCUM RECOVERY SYSTEM BUT I GUESS THAT COULD WAIT. THANKS GUYS FOR THE HELP I WILL BE NEEDING YOUR HELP VERY SOON, HOPE I CAN COUNT ON YOU 2 AND THE REST OF THE FORUM TOO. THANKS