How best to clean CGD Carpet Squares with water rings and marks from a leaking roof all year? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

How best to clean CGD Carpet Squares with water rings and marks from a leaking roof all year?

TillertheJohn

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
I don't think I ever cleaned something like this.

The roof seems to have been leaking when it rains this whole year. There appears to be water marks throughout the whole store. The roof has been fixed.

Trying to see how I could possibly approach the cleaning of this and if a positive result is possible.

Any input would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Video of what it looks like:
I think if you start the video at 1:00 from then on you would get a good idea of everything.

And a few pictures if you'd rather are attached.

Thank you again guys I appreciate any and all input from your experience.

Attachments

• Water Stained Carpet.jpg
    Water Stained Carpet.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 93
  • water stained carpet 1.jpg
    water stained carpet 1.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 92
  • water stained carpet 2.jpg
    water stained carpet 2.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 90
  • water stained carpet 3.jpg
    water stained carpet 3.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 89

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
I would likely not take on the job if the roof wasn't fixed, it's just going to happen again and I won't own someone else's problem.

If I did take on that job after it was 100% fixed, for some reason I love trainwrecks everyone else has turned down. I would clean it with a flex ice prespray with heavy percarbonate and a flex ice rinse, attack the worst stains first, put down fans and then wand my way out over the easy stuff. I would factor my cleaning time OTJ and 1 follow up call into my price (not disclosed to customer) and I would charge handsomely.

Roof leaks can be permanent stains, no way to guarantee removal and that would be on the quote. Looking at the roof type (guessing rolled rubber) and everything else the water passed through before it hit the carpet might change my chemistry some, but not too much I don't think.

I would confidently bid this one like I didn't want it, super high.

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
Easy job. Acid Rinse well, don't pre spray too much..

Post encap.

Most of the time water marks come out really easy you just want to make sure they won't wick back

TillertheJohn

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
I would likely not take on the job if the roof wasn't fixed, it's just going to happen again and I won't own someone else's problem.

If I did take on that job after it was 100% fixed, for some reason I love trainwrecks everyone else has turned down. I would clean it with a flex ice prespray with heavy percarbonate and a flex ice rinse, attack the worst stains first, put down fans and then wand my way out over the easy stuff. I would factor my cleaning time OTJ and 1 follow up call into my price (not disclosed to customer) and I would charge handsomely.

Roof leaks can be permanent stains, no way to guarantee removal and that would be on the quote. Looking at the roof type (guessing rolled rubber) and everything else the water passed through before it hit the carpet might change my chemistry some, but not too much I don't think.

I would confidently bid this one like I didn't want it, super high.
I appreciate your input Jim. Thank you.

I am hearing that acid side chemistries what does it for this one.

But, except for percarbonate. To me that is my 02 and what I have is from TMF and a pH11.

My acid emulsifier/rinse is a pH4-5.

Am I close, Jim?

===================================================

Also, I didn't look at the roof at all. Didn't even cross my mind but it should have. Thats the path the matter took to soil the carpet after all. Lesson.

Also, it looks like some of the water stains might have been attempted treatment by someone. Those spots remind me of seeing spots in residential where the customer used resolve or an oxicleaner or something. So, maybe that would be color loss as well in commercial I'm thinking.

Attachments

• 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 79
  • acid rinse.jpg
    acid rinse.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 78

TillertheJohn

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
Easy job. Acid Rinse well, don't pre spray too much..

Post encap.

Most of the time water marks come out really easy you just want to make sure they won't wick back
Good to hear.

I do have the capability to CRB in some encap post HWE for wickback insurance on the water stains.

I kind of was wondering if pad capping with an OP could be the solution on these.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
I appreciate your input Jim. Thank you.

I am hearing that acid side chemistries what does it for this one.

But, except for percarbonate. To me that is my 02 and what I have is from TMF and a pH11.

My acid emulsifier/rinse is a pH4-5.

Am I close, Jim?

===================================================

Also, I didn't look at the roof at all. Didn't even cross my mind but it should have. Thats the path the matter took to soil the carpet after all. Lesson.

Also, it looks like some of the water stains might have been attempted treatment by someone. Those spots remind me of seeing spots in residential where the customer used resolve or an oxicleaner or something. So, maybe that would be color loss as well in commercial I'm thinking.

You are thinking ahead! Expect foam too, seed the hose with defoamer and not the floor on this one.

The small amount of percarbonate will be lost pH wise in your acid side prespray. If you want to lower the prespray pH further use 50 volume peroxide which is natively acidic.

Assumption is the mother of all screw ups, but my best guess is those are rubber back tiles and if they are nylon, once the black is gone you may have colored stains from what the water passed through to end up there. Laying down an acid side prespray loaded with oxygen above 160° is boss, colors run and urine stains vaporize immediately in front of your eyes on nylons. Blasting remaining colors immediately with a reducer while the fiber is still hot can be the bomb too, think rocket fuel. I don't have a problem shocking the fiber like that initially, especially if it has picked up color passing through fiberglass insulation on its way to the floor (water damage restorers are very familiar with this).

Forewarned is forearmed, and attacking one spot only at first allows you to change tactics/chemistry for the balance of the job after you open that can of worms.

Approaching jobs like a detective helps things go smoother... how the type of soil got there and the type of fiber it's on, determines chemistry and method.

I gave you the long answer filled with what to look out for, because I have been wrecked on these before. I have a roof leak on nylon cgd I'm slowly removing the stains from 5 years on and it's still barely visible and it drives me bananas. I went to a wedding rehearsal there 2 weeks ago and worked on it and padcapped the surrounding area on my dime because it just bothers me.

TillertheJohn

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
You are thinking ahead! Expect foam too, seed the hose with defoamer and not the floor on this one.

The small amount of percarbonate will be lost pH wise in your acid side prespray. If you want to lower the prespray pH further use 50 volume peroxide which is natively acidic.

Assumption is the mother of all screw ups, but my best guess is those are rubber back tiles and if they are nylon, once the black is gone you may have colored stains from what the water passed through to end up there. Laying down an acid side prespray loaded with oxygen above 160° is boss, colors run and urine stains vaporize immediately in front of your eyes on nylons. Blasting remaining colors immediately with a reducer while the fiber is still hot can be the bomb too, think rocket fuel. I don't have a problem shocking the fiber like that initially, especially if it has picked up color passing through fiberglass insulation on its way to the floor (water damage restorers are very familiar with this).

Forewarned is forearmed, and attacking one spot only at first allows you to change tactics/chemistry for the balance of the job after you open that can of worms.

Approaching jobs like a detective helps things go smoother... how the type of soil got there and the type of fiber it's on, determines chemistry and method.

I gave you the long answer filled with what to look out for, because I have been wrecked on these before. I have a roof leak on nylon cgd I'm slowly removing the stains from 5 years on and it's still barely visible and it drives me bananas. I went to a wedding rehearsal there 2 weeks ago and worked on it and padcapped the surrounding area on my dime because it just bothers me.
Do you guys re-read answers to your posts many times? Because I did that on this one and ACP's a couple times too for sure.

A lot of good stuff to think about.

But in that middle (3rd) paragraph there whew boy that one took a bunch to start to wrap my head around what you are saying there.

That's deep carpet cleaning knowledge. Thanks for priming my brain on that one.

But - If I had to guess why your padcappin jobs on your dime??

Is it because you have studied your craft and understand how that craft is supposed to work. And so when it doesn't work out the way it should, then do you suddenly go on a quest to figure it out what's going on? That'd be my guess.

It would be fun to see the water stains go away and get that one under my belt. Always something new.

Reactions: Jim Davisson

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
The leak was a metal roof, through yellow fiberglass onto light grey nylon cgd. It has just a light yellow hue now that I have slowly improved over time. Padded the area with rocket and treated the spot with stain1.

When I clean it, I apply stain1 and using 2 gear ties for a flash light stand allow my blacklight to work on it while I do the rest of the job. I do the same process for permanent rubber tire stains on nylon after blasting them with the heavy oxy acid side prespray mentioned above. I just put Terry towels around the spots to protect the unstained areas from the uv light treatment. Some stains suck, and improvement is the only option if patching is off the table.

Hunterman1987

Jul 1, 2020
Real Name
Adam Hunter
I don't think I have ever cleaned something like this. The roof seems to have been leaking when it rains this whole year. There appear to watermark throughout the whole store. The roof should be fixed. I can suggest you appeal to city2surfroofing.com.au, they are the best in this domain and they can make your roof of the best quality and fast. I took their service and I was satisfied with their work. They made an inspection of the house's roof and repaired where were necessary. And they didn't take so much as I thought.

AussieCarpetBloke

Premium VIP
May 15, 2016
Real Name
Corey
I don't think I have ever cleaned something like this. The roof seems to have been leaking when it rains this whole year. There appear to watermark throughout the whole store. The roof should be fixed. I can suggest you appeal to city2surfroofing.com.au, they are the best in this domain and they can make your roof of the best quality and fast. I took their service and I was satisfied with their work. They made an inspection of the house's roof and repaired where were necessary. And they didn't take so much as I thought.

city2surfroofing.com.au,
city2surfroofing.com.au/
Are Irish scammers and have ripped off many people in Sydney it was on both 60minutes ans A Current Affair