How are you applying deodorizer?

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
I usually recommend (for simple cleaning, to offer a nice finishing touch) a light deodorizer in a separate sprayer, applied gently and judiciously so it's not overpowering. Not everyone likes florals, or citrus, or Fabuloso, and it's usually best to ask the customer if they even want it before assuming they do.

Instead of putting it all down on the carpet (who crawls around on their hands and knees snorting tufts all day?), I suggest a light overspray on the carpeting, followed by a shot at head-height or so at each doorjamb or corner. This way the customer "walks into" a web of scent, just like walking into a spiderweb, and they literally carry scent particles around on their cheeks so they continue smelling that good fresh deodorizer as they go from room to room.

Keep in mind, deodorizers and odor counteractants do different things. A deodorizer is JUST a good smell - if there's urine or smoke left behind, the deodorizer will eventually give way to it. A counteractant (like Hydrocide) doesn't just mask the malodor, it changes it chemically so it doesn't stink. To do that, the counteractant must contact the source of the odor. So spraying the walls of a room where the urine is in the carpet won't do much good. Counteractants therefore must be targeted - deodorizers do not.

emeraldclean

Premium VIP
Feb 20, 2012
Beausejour Manitoba Canada
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada
I use it straight up on my pits.
Use more Moon Dawg... not cutting it!
Hugs and Kisses from the North
Seriously though applying deodorizer to give the custy that clean feeling is something I never do.
Most times when I prespray they say "Oh that smells nice "
I will apply direct for actual odor problems. Lately I really like Bridgepoint Hydrocide.
Don't add it to Hydroforce. Mix up in a pump up and hit concerns direct with dwell time.

WizCleanPdx

May 25, 2015
Portland, OR
www.wizardcleaning-pdx.com
Real Name
Jack Starr
Business Location
United States
So basically, if you are just trying to make it smell nice then you are using air fresheners. Seems hacky. Why not just use a can a Glade?

I get the odor counteracting. That is legit. You are removing a source of odor.

Most normal odors are removable because they are attached to the soil in the carpets. So if you clean the carpet properly you will freshen the air.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
A can of Glade is something your custy likely has under the kitchen sink. Why would she pay you to use it, lol? But if you can pull out your jug of handy dandy secret good-smell sauce and give it a professional application, then you have offered a service.

Amazing how perception works, innit?

Reactions: UTRClean

alex027

Feb 29, 2016
Real Name
alex alex
Do you just add it to your cleaner ? or do you apply after with a hydro force or a pump up sprayer? and do you really feel like your are truly deodorizing or just leaving a nice smell after cleaning
i typically use ultrapac and mix it with the cherry deodorizer from bridgepoint. i have tried post spray but i seem to get better results mixing it with my prespray. it also helps with odors in your waste tank when you extract

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
I clean mostly homes and never know who has sensitivities to smell so I don't normally add anything and rinse with water so any odor that my cleaning agent has is removed during the rinse process.

That being said, if there is an odor that I want to offset, I will add Odorcide Fresh Scent to my prespray. I also have a spray bottle of Fresh Scent if I feel that it would help any lingering odor and apply it before I groom.

Dafloorman

Jul 30, 2008
Deerfield Beach, FL
Real Name
Gerald Simmons
I love ProChem's Floral Scent, I just use a small spray bottle and hit it in sections when I am backing out. I always ask and spay a little on hands so customer can smell. Most always says yes, it's not an overwhelming smell, just a fresh and clean smell. Just think of us as salon professionals for carpets! Lol

chad9229

Jul 25, 2014
I am waking this thread back up again. I have received mix advice regarding deodorizer. I was told by my supplier that we really shouldn't be adding an oil based Deodorizer to Prespray. Those need to be gently misted in the room after you clean. I have a customer who loves the cherry Fragrance that I'm cleaning for soon. What are your thoughts? What is the proper and best way to apply deodorizer(topical)? How do I make sure that the customers can smell the fragrance after I leave? Should I use my fogger?

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
I am waking this thread back up again. I have received mix advice regarding deodorizer. I was told by my supplier that we really shouldn't be adding an oil based Deodorizer to Prespray. Those need to be gently misted in the room after you clean. I have a customer who loves the cherry Fragrance that I'm cleaning for soon. What are your thoughts? What is the proper and best way to apply deodorizer(topical)? How do I make sure that the customers can smell the fragrance after I leave? Should I use my fogger?

• I always like to be cautious with applying deodorizers or any fragrance. What smells wonderful to one person can be obnoxious to another. So, I check with the client first.
  • Any deodorizer or fragrance is going to have some oil in it. The fragrance comes from what is called essential oils. It takes very little percentage of oil to produce that fragrance but it is there.
  • When deodorizer is added to the prespray it gets into the air during the spraying process. This makes the scent more noticed. It also gets mostly rinsed away in the rinse step. But there will always be some trace amount left If nothing was left ebhind there would be no odor. This small amount of oil will attract some soil, probably very little, but some soil. For this reason some cleaners don't want to apply deodorizer as part of carpet cleaning.
  • If deodorizer is applied during the rinse step, there will be even more oils left behind than when used in the prespray. So, if I was going to apply deodorizer as part of the cleaning process, I would do so in the prespray.
  • Another option is to use deodorizer after cleaning. It can be applied in places where it will never get on the carpet and attracting soil will not be an issue. Spray into any absorbent surface near nose level or above. I liekd to spray into wooden door fram or acoutical ceiling tile or mist the curtains (depending upon the material). Then the frgarance is in the room, lingers a while and is not on the carpet. But it does add one more step to the cleaning process.

aloha one

Scrub a DUB DUB!
Feb 17, 2009
California
Real Name
Dave Moonan
Business Location
United States
  • I always like to be cautious with applying deodorizers or any fragrance. What smells wonderful to one person can be obnoxious to another. So, I check with the client first.
  • Any deodorizer or fragrance is going to have some oil in it. The fragrance comes from what is called essential oils. It takes very little percentage of oil to produce that fragrance but it is there.
  • When deodorizer is added to the prespray it gets into the air during the spraying process. This makes the scent more noticed. It also gets mostly rinsed away in the rinse step. But there will always be some trace amount left If nothing was left ebhind there would be no odor. This small amount of oil will attract some soil, probably very little, but some soil. For this reason some cleaners don't want to apply deodorizer as part of carpet cleaning.
  • If deodorizer is applied during the rinse step, there will be even more oils left behind than when used in the prespray. So, if I was going to apply deodorizer as part of the cleaning process, I would do so in the prespray.
  • Another option is to use deodorizer after cleaning. It can be applied in places where it will never get on the carpet and attracting soil will not be an issue. Spray into any absorbent surface near nose level or above. I liekd to spray into wooden door fram or acoutical ceiling tile or mist the curtains (depending upon the material). Then the frgarance is in the room, lingers a while and is not on the carpet. But it does add one more step to the cleaning process.
Perfect description Scott. Interesting that you too sprayed the popcorn ceilings (back when) For 20 years all I cleaned was vacants/empties and would always douche right above the entry door so when PM's showed the unit it would hit them right off the bat, nothing at all on the carpet!