How and how much to pay employee? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

How and how much to pay employee?

davidg01234

Jul 19, 2014
Real Name
David Galvan
So I'm thinking of hiring my first employee as it is getting hard to balance out doing the actual work and getting jobs (replying to emails constantly, making calls when leads are sent to me, sending mass emails to customers,etc.) My question is what are most of your employees getting paid? Are they paid hourly? Or are they paid a certain percentage of each job total?

RENEWCARPET

Nov 9, 2013
Real Name
Brian Ellis
I pay minimum wage + 10%, I used to pay only % but I had issues with employees thinking they aren't getting paid for such things as cleaning van, accasional bid if they were out in the area etc., in twelve years of business , employees is one of the hardest things , but it is the only way to grow, good luck to you, better get some good headache medicine.

Sent from my SM-N920T using TMF Forums mobile app

Reactions: Mike Krall

davidg01234

Jul 19, 2014
Real Name
David Galvan
I pay minimum wage + 10%, I used to pay only % but I had issues with employees thinking they aren't getting paid for such things as cleaning van, accasional bid if they were out in the area etc., in twelve years of business , employees is one of the hardest things , but it is the only way to grow, good luck to you, better get some good headache medicine.

Sent from my SM-N920T using TMF Forums mobile app
So you're paying hourly plus 10%? I dont think I'll have that issue just yet. This guy has been my best friend since 6th grade. Sticking to percentage only is good with him. I may have to do differently with my next employee though. Thanks for the input!

Reactions: RENEWCARPET

davidg01234

Jul 19, 2014
Real Name
David Galvan
Do you 1099 commission only employees?
Was this a question towards me? If so, i have no idea. But from the research ive gathered, 1099 will be cheaper but its not legal because they would not be considered an independent contractor. W2 is the way to go from what i am seeing

Sterling

Aug 19, 2013
York Region
www.sterlingcnr.com
Real Name
Ryan Sterling
Business Location
Canada
If you find a good worker pay them well. $150 plus incentives. Make sure they are hungry for money. They will become selling machines. If you go the cheap route your business will suffer.

You may have to pay a larger percent depending on your pricing.