Houston, we have a problem! (ehm, need advice actually)

gasmaster5000

Jun 26, 2010
TX
Real Name
Eric O'Bryan
Business Location
United States
I still have a lot to do to finish out the inside and will start a thread on this first chance I get.

Fanatic

Jan 3, 2019
Real Name
Nawaaz Ismail
Important Question:

What are your guys take on carpet cleaning vs water damage restoration?

I hear that the income is significantly higher in water damage restoration.

Would it be wise for me to skip and forego this carpet cleaning venture and head straight into water damage restoration?

I was scheduled to take both the classes for carpet and upholstery cleaning, however, I was also setting my mind to taking on the water damage and restoration course in close time proximity.

I feel that if I can benefit with much more significant income for my time and effort in water damage/restoration, then perhaps that is the wise way to go with a full out box truck instead.

What is your honest opinion and take on this thought process, please?

Last edited:

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
I still have a lot to do to finish out the inside and will start a thread on this first chance I get.
bro that looks great...i believe that pressure pro heater is gonna work really well i have a friend who has a tcs setup for about 8 years.....
should also be easy to work on.....

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
Important Question:

What are your guys take on carpet cleaning vs water damage restoration?

I hear that the income is significantly higher in water damage restoration.

Would it be wise for me to skip and forego this carpet cleaning venture and head straight into water damage restoration?

I was scheduled to take both the classes for carpet and upholstery cleaning, however, I was also setting my mind to taking on the water damage and restoration course in close time proximity.

I feel that if I can benefit with much more significant income for my time and effort in water damage/restoration, then perhaps that is the wise way to go with a full out box truck instead.

What is your honest opinion and take on this thought process, please?
when i restarted my carpet cleaning business for the 2nd time ...i took water damage class.....subbed for a restoration company and then ...branched out into water damage on my own.......

back then you could put an add in the yellow pages and if they called you.....you could run out extract, put down your drying equipment before they called their insurance agent......
especially during off hours....and get the job

kinda like hooking a fish.......

pay was great but you gotta know your stuff and understand the system with insurance...recommending the big companies..

there is about a 3-5 year burnout on water damage....
less if you do both.......
as it is difficult to do both water damage and carpet cleaning.

would almost be impossible to start out with water damage on your own........

my advice
start with carpet cleaning.....take the low hanging fruit.....
apartments, rentals, hotels, resturants, commercial......
homes will take 5 years to build........

then add a water damage as bonus 1-2 a year......

longkenn

May 7, 2011
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
www.sunbreezeclean.com
Real Name
Kenneth Long
Business Location
United States
There is much more to learn about water damage than just the technical parts of how to dry stuff. You would have a difficult time getting jobs if you don't have experience. The industry has changed a lot and the insurance companies want to work with a few people who know the technical and the requirements of the various insurance companies. Some of the insurance companies you would want to stay away from as they are a pain in the neck. Others are much easier to work with. It takes time to learn all that.

Start with carpet cleaning and then add water damage.

Reactions: Fanatic