Houston, we have a problem! (ehm, need advice actually)

gasmaster5000

Jun 26, 2010
TX
Real Name
Eric O'Bryan
Business Location
United States
Just looking at all that used equipment should make anyone think twice...that could be you in a couple of years.
It's a tough, competitive business but you can make it work if you're willing to do whatever it takes.
One thing is for certain, if you’re looking for used equipment, 90% of the stuff out there is Prochem or Hydramaster.

Gregory Stiel

May 20, 2017
Real Name
Gregory Stiel
bro

good to have zeal and enthusiasm

Dont know all the details of your background and if you have had experience and a customer base....

Hate to disagree...but telling someone to spend 64k on equipment wo experience and customer base is the worse advice you can get on this board!!!!!

its like buying a NEW house or a NEW car wo a job.....

I have been owner operator for 19 years and barely spent 60k on 3 vans and 3 truckmounts......
and 2 of the 3 would have equal or better specs than the hydramster titan!!!!

FOCUS ON YOUR TARGET CUSTOMERS:
these are the hardest to get:
- -HOMES(will take 3-5 years to build)
- water damage....tile

these are easier to get:
- apts. rentals
- hotels
- returants
- commercial...night or day work

get advice on all these.....
then get a van and machine that fits your customer base.....
plenty of good TM with similiar specs for 10-20k..$$

Before you pull that trigger shoot A BEAR make sure you have enough bullets to finish it off!!!!

Great advice! Everybody thinks they have to have the greatest and the baddest machines yet they are doing regular residential and commercial work. In 45 years I have had the biggest most powerful but I had jobs that demanded them.(Football Fields) When I stopped doing fields I got rid of those hogs. My best money making machine was a Prochem tm with a heat exchanger Light cheap and made me money.

More than 500psi is a waste Scorching heat ads very little to cleaning.
Proper chemical usage is the key. Desolve the dirt-rinse the dirt.
If your regularly doing 100,000sq every month then you may need a big machine. Start out cheep and make some bank. then go out and get what you think you need.
To start out 70K in the hole is suicide. You have to do 100k a year right from the getgo. to keep your head above water.

Just my 2cents worth but with 45 years of experience

Reactions: Fanatic

longkenn

May 7, 2011
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
www.sunbreezeclean.com
Real Name
Kenneth Long
Business Location
United States
I started with a Rotovac CFX and wand. I quickly saw that I needed a truckmount and bought a Chemtex Black Stallion. Basic tools. Practiced a lot. Read TMF 18 hours a day for tips and tricks. Put together a business plan that included a marketing plan. Spent $8300 total. Traded work for a piece of junk van. Shined that turd of a van up, and couldn't find a customer. I joined BNI (Business Networking International) and that was the single best investment that I made. I spent the last of my start-up cash to join BNI. I got one referral to a property manager. Did jobs for him and made enough money to invest in better equipment which included the truckmount. I still use that Black Stallion daily. My plan is to use it until it dies and then replace. I probably still will not go plunk down $30K for a truckmount. It just does not make good business sense. Scott W is dead on with his advice.

Keep it simple. Knowledge is more important than machines. A cheap truckmount in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing is more valuable than a whizz-bang truckmount in the hands of someone who is not educated.

There are two ways to get educated. The hard way. Just jump in and do it. You will spend a ton of money on mistakes. Or, you can take time to educate yourself by reading TMF like your life depended on it or paying for classes. Either way, you will pay. If you go the hard route your going to pay more.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Feel free to call our 800 number and leave a request for me to call you back. In meantime watch this video;

Aug 28, 2018
Real Name
Bruce wayne
If it was me I would Use the van that you originally wanted to use! It’s the same thing

I also would buy a cheaper unit maybe slightly used under 1000 hours or a refurbished unit for 1/3 to 1/2 the price

I have purchased 4 used or refurbished truckmounts with no issues

I have a reliable source for used truckmounts
If your near Vegas The Cleaning Depot is a great resource

I also would rather have less debt and pressure for my first couple years till you get cash flow and repeat customers

Good luck if you have any questions just ask.

awratchford

Jun 9, 2014
$60k machine.....$1k+ payment, average job being $175 that means the first SEVEN jobs you do every month are for free. Screw that noise. The sooner you start looking at your business as the number of free jobs you have to do every month, the sooner you tell equipment manufacturers and chemical peddlers to go kick rocks

longkenn

May 7, 2011
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
www.sunbreezeclean.com
Real Name
Kenneth Long
Business Location
United States
all us carpet cleaners are filthy rich. Do whatever and buy whatever your dealer says 70 grand rig payment is only a couple jobs a week.
And if you believe that, I have a truckmount I will sell you. It only has 50 hours on it (never mind the rust, the hours meter that quit working, the gauges that are pegged, the leaking heat exchanger, seized up blower, pressure pump only running on one cylinder (It does have a busted housing), and the fact that I left it out in the cold of Montana for a few years.) I only want $30,000 for it. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

smartcarpetcare

Mar 17, 2011
on canada
Real Name
mike rawn
Business Location
Canada
Hello all,

I'm new and overconfident... Which means that I'm at risk for making costly mistakes.

Looking to pick up a new truck and visit my local https://shop.truckmountforums.com to have the install everything from A-Z.

I was very close to picking up new leftover Chevy Express 2500, however after some sound advice from my local https://shop.truckmountforums.com just in time before I took the plunge, and after thoroughly sitting down and explaining my goals of growth and success, I was directed to purchase a new Chevy Express 3500 extended Cargo truck fully equipped with V8 engine. I was also advice the main machine and mount on the truck which would be most worthwhile would be the: ea Titan 575 W/70gal Recovery Tank. The mount plus install, labor, parts, thorough training would cost about $30-31k and the new truck would cost about $33k. And then I would spend on wrapping the truck, creating my website, and then get after the marketing and advertising material.

Am I doing this all wrong? What can I do better? I know I should have patience, but I need to get to work with a very solid investment which I can get excited about such as this one perhaps. Please help - I would sincerely appreciate your words of wisdom. I have subscribed to this thread and will try to keep an eye on it as try to pull the trigger very soon.

Admins / Moderators, please feel free to relocate this thread in a better and more appropriate / responsive are a if need be.

WELCOME!! Get ready for 60 hour weeks.

gasmaster5000

Jun 26, 2010
TX
Real Name
Eric O'Bryan
Business Location
United States
hows your new tcs TM machine
I just got it back. All I have at the moment are a few pics of when we were laying everything out. I have video of the testing, but it won't let me upload. Anyway, I'm going to post a full review when I've used the machine several hours. Very happy with Will and the whole TCS crew so far and will post more details of my experience soon.

Attachments

• IMG_20190129_113148.jpg
    IMG_20190129_113148.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_20190129_103739.jpg
    IMG_20190129_103739.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_20190129_103750.jpg
    IMG_20190129_103750.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_20190129_113238.jpg
    IMG_20190129_113238.jpg