Houston Cleaner? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Houston Cleaner?

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
tough to start over a new carpet cleaning business after you have a reputation in a community.....

no area is perfect but if you have established name and account that is a plus.....

I dont make much in my area....in fact most people would not clean for the price I clean.....
however I have learned to almost cut my commercial jobs in half time and keep the same prices......

1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Staff member
Premium VIP
Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
tough to start over a new carpet cleaning business after you have a reputation in a community.....

no area is perfect but if you have established name and account that is a plus.....

I dont make much in my area....in fact most people would not clean for the price I clean.....
however I have learned to almost cut my commercial jobs in half time and keep the same prices......
I know it won't be easy but it is the same state which I think will make some legal things easier. Right now we are just exploring options but I feel it should take less than 2 years to get to where we currently are. I see a lot more opportunities to succeed there, right now doing the homework.

Spazznout

Premium VIP
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Real Name
Matt
Business Location
United States
Jason

The Grass is NOT greener in another city.
In fact, the bigger the city, the more 10 and 15 dollars a room guys there are.

Grab your cell phone with the company phone number on it.
How many total calls came in today?
Yesterday?
How many jobs did you book?
How many calls were you unable to answer or missed?

Who answered those calls? You/3rd party service/family?

Who is doing your marketing?
Do you have a monthly budget that you spend every dollar of every month to acquire new customers?
Do you send email and reminder cards to your previous customers? With 180 reviews you should have the repeats and their referrals beating your door down?\

You have to deliver a better experience than the other guys. Thats what customers are willing to pay for and tell their friends about as well. Its the experience of having you in their home. You already hit the nail on the head when you commented how low customer expectation were. Customers dont care about a 99 step process.They really dont want to talk to us about it either. They are busy and dont have time and most dont really care about the process either......................Now their pets and or kids. Ohhh they lover to talk about those 2 things the most. Next is the home improvements they have made and dream of making...cuz home makeover tv shows. Just prime the conversation and shut up and get to work.

Smell good, nice uniform shaved, always have an assistant as the customer wants you in and out of the house ASAP. People live busy lives and we are well....just the cleaner.

But you won't even consider what I have written.
I write this in all the hope you can find your way Jason.
You are a good guy.
You deserve it.

And I am not really expecting you to answer the questions above.....just trying to get you to think.

But seriously.
The grass is not greener in another city.

mrg.mrg.

Oct 15, 2014
Real Name
zamir mejia
I'm in Houston and I can tell you that there is a lot of work here for everyone that's willing to do it. That being said, there is a lot of guys that charge very little and that's exactly the type or work they do..cheap. Even if they have a company they don't last because they don't make enough. There are others who overcharge or maybe I should say charge higher but their work is not necessarily that good..franchises. They'll always be around. Some are one dimensional..only do cleaning...or only do water extractions. I work for 5 different companies as sub contractor and also have my own customers that pay me directly. I do different things ...tile cleaning..strip and wax...duct cleaning...odor removal...water extractions...mold clean up and restoration..any and all repairs...even dye carpets if needed and can do subfloor repairs. So what I'm trying to say is if you can offer different services you should do fine. Of course that might not be for everyone but there's options. Also I don't know how much equipment you got...truckmount and all the other stuff. It's always good to know a few other people in same line of work that can help you with jobs in case your equipment is down for whatever reason. Whichever way you decide to go... Good luck.

Reactions: NPKen and rob allen

mrg.mrg.

Oct 15, 2014
Real Name
zamir mejia
Oh and I'm not worried about you being a hack or how many there are here. I know how good I am at what I do so the only way I lose work is if they lower prices not because they're better...and who really loses there? Not me. If you do decide to move here and start your business maybe we can even share jobs or work together on bigger ones. As long as it makes money I'm up for it.

1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Staff member
Premium VIP
Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
Jason

Yesterday?

Do you have a monthly budget that you spend every dollar of every month to acquire new customers?
Do you send email and reminder cards to your previous customers? With 180 reviews you should have the repeats and their referrals beating your door down?\

You have to deliver a better experience than the other guys. Thats what customers are willing to pay for and tell their friends about as well. Its the experience of having you in their home. You already hit the nail on the head when you commented how low customer expectation were. Customers dont care about a 99 step process.They really dont want to talk to us about it either. They are busy and dont have time and most dont really care about the process either......................Now their pets and or kids. Ohhh they lover to talk about those 2 things the most. Next is the home improvements they have made and dream of making...cuz home makeover tv shows. Just prime the conversation and shut up and get to work.

Smell good, nice uniform shaved, always have an assistant as the customer wants you in and out of the house ASAP. People live busy lives and we are well....just the cleaner.

You are a good guy.
You deserve it.

And I am not really expecting you to answer the questions above.....just trying to get you to think.

But seriously.
Honestly I can live and work anywhere but the fact is neither my wife or myself are from El Paso and we ended up here due to circumstances. I was born and raised in Ohio in the Toledo area and my wife is from Mexico and when I moved here it was meant to be temporarily but as time went on I started my business. Our plan was never to stay but we ended up staying because of the business but we both know this was never the plan and don't really feel like this is "home".

Yes I know we can continue to make it here but are we really happy and is this where we want to be...

My phone isn't blowing up with calls but I have built up something decent but at the same time I feel like I am mostly spinning my wheels here. We have gone out of town to many places and the thought is always in my mind of how would the business be like here. I also know my wife isn't happy here as she mentions at least once a week and always compares other place to El Paso. Right now I am looking to see if a move would make sense and could be better or if staying in the hot dry desert (suppose to be 105 today) is what we decide.

1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Staff member
Premium VIP
Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
I'm in Houston and I can tell you that there is a lot of work here for everyone that's willing to do it. That being said, there is a lot of guys that charge very little and that's exactly the type or work they do..cheap. Even if they have a company they don't last because they don't make enough. There are others who overcharge or maybe I should say charge higher but their work is not necessarily that good..franchises. They'll always be around. Some are one dimensional..only do cleaning...or only do water extractions. I work for 5 different companies as sub contractor and also have my own customers that pay me directly. I do different things ...tile cleaning..strip and wax...duct cleaning...odor removal...water extractions...mold clean up and restoration..any and all repairs...even dye carpets if needed and can do subfloor repairs. So what I'm trying to say is if you can offer different services you should do fine. Of course that might not be for everyone but there's options. Also I don't know how much equipment you got...truckmount and all the other stuff. It's always good to know a few other people in same line of work that can help you with jobs in case your equipment is down for whatever reason. Whichever way you decide to go... Good luck.
We do much of the same services as you minus a few but a few others also. We do carpet cleaning, upholstery, tile and grout, stone, air ducts, dryer vents, water extraction and dry outs, strip and wax and a little janitorial.

Reactions: rob allen

mrg.mrg.

Oct 15, 2014
Real Name
zamir mejia
We do much of the same services as you minus a few but a few others also. We do carpet cleaning, upholstery, tile and grout, stone, air ducts, dryer vents, water extraction and dry outs, strip and wax and a little janitorial.
Oh ok I do upholstery, dryer vents and dry outs too. Havent gotten into stone but I want to learn. I think there's enough work here for everybody and if you already know how to go and acquire customers and all the advertisements stuff then you should be fine. Youre not going to get away from the heat though..might feel worse here than El Paso...but I never been there.

Reactions: 1ST CHOICE CLEANING

john gerding

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2012
Real Name
Deadpool
Business Location
United States
If you wanna make real money, you need to land somewhere with middle to high income... You dont wanna work in the ghetto in H-town... Trashed carpets and tight wallets is all you will find there... You wanna be somewhere like Kingwood, Katy or The Woodlands, Avoid the South Side, Southwest Side, East Side like the plague... Pick a spot and service locally within 30 minutes, otherwise you will be suffering in endless traffic all day instead of working...

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
Jason,
Houston is full of money, I charge in the 40-60 a room rate depending on the house and cheapness of the customer, I would not respond to the 20 bucks a room call. Stay away from the home advisor and stuff like that because that's where the cheap shit is, all 4 trucks are slammed with work .
I say come on in Houston needs more quality people.

I would say half my referral jobs price is not even mentioned before we get to the house.

Houston is awesome ! it has anything and everything you will ever want , forests to hunt it , lakes and bays to fish in,, the Carpet cleaning supplys suck ass though !
I sold out in dallas went to los angeles area made great money in LA before relocating to Houston.. I will never leave houston,

40% of our work is for minoritys , use alot of citrus in your cleaning for the orange smell and they will refer you to the ends of the earth.. Last week i did a job for a black lady she loved the smell (@Mama Fen can hook you up with it ) she called everyone she knew i believe because i had 5 jobs booked from her before i left and it keeps on going from there...

Your biggest referral or business card is the job you do for each customer ! let your customers keep you busy !

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Jason

Yesterday?

You are a good guy.
You deserve it.

But seriously.
A great post that everyone should pay attention to!

Reactions: rob allen

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
If you wanna make real money, you need to land somewhere with middle to high income... You dont wanna work in the ghetto in H-town... Trashed carpets and tight wallets is all you will find there... You wanna be somewhere like Kingwood, Katy or The Woodlands, Avoid the South Side, Southwest Side, East Side like the plague... Pick a spot and service locally within 30 minutes, otherwise you will be suffering in endless traffic all day instead of working...
Isn’t Howard Partridge in Katy Texas? He’s at 50-70 cents sq ft. And John, my sincerest condolences about your son. I did not know.

Dafloorman

Jul 30, 2008
Deerfield Beach, FL
Real Name
Gerald Simmons
Pray about it Jason! That’s what we did when we considered moving to Atlanta! I have family there, cost of living and homes are less than expensive South Florida. And me and my wife did like 5-6 months of research! Looking up suppliers, firms for my wife, and everything else in between. We said God if it’s meant for us to be there open every door, if not close every door! We landed there looking for homes and to get things going, not one thing worked to our favor. And hindsight I am so glad we did not move!

john gerding

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2012
Real Name
Deadpool
Business Location
United States
Isn’t Howard Partridge in Katy Texas? He’s at 50-70 cents sq ft. And John, my sincerest condolences about your son. I did not know.
Howard is located centrally, I believe his shop is on the southwest side but they service citywide... You can do that with a 10 van fleet or however many he has... Not really smart for an owner operator to run citywide though, you can literally drive all day in houston, everything is an hour away... I just picked my corner of the city and stuck to it, I didnt even get on a freeway for about 2 years...lol... I would definitely not drive an hour for a 3 room job in houston... the chance of an accident here is very high with the level of traffic and bad drivers we have... I just cant afford to get smashed by a kid who is in a hurry to get to starbucks or whatever... So my little corner has been my world and I planned it that way...