Hotsy 555ss, need help modding this bad boy to be a carpet cleaner.

donaldsodav290

Mar 15, 2010
Real Name
Mark Donaldson
Business Location
Canada
I recently purchased a hotsy 555ss for a good price ...

I am wondering what I need to get this thing running as a carpet cleaner. My first evaluations would be a pressure regulator and gauge plumbed before the diesel heater. That way I can adjust the psi to whatever is required. Second I would think I would need to outfit the exit port of the heater with a 1/4" quick connect fitting for easy hose usage.

I was thinking I could also just plumb an existing portable 500psi with auto fill/dump directly into the heater and save myself fuel costs by using the cuties hot water through the porty then heater.

Anything else or is my evaluation incorrect?

Last edited by a moderator:

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I have looked at those for a long time. I think it is a neat concept. Keep us posted as you make progress.

bbraman

Oct 7, 2009
ElDorado Hills, CA
Real Name
Robert Braman
Business Location
United States
I recently bought a used Landa Hot water pressure washer for $200, the pump was shot, the guy just wanted to get ride of it! I dismantled it and removed the diesel heater and am in the process of putting it into my trailer with a Avenger 210 TM that I rebuilt last year, heat exchangers were shot I bought the whole trailer, hoses, TM, shelves, SX-12, hose reels for $3000. If you go to Northern tool web site, pull up the Northstar Hot water pressure washers, go to the spec page for the unit that is just a heater. It will show all parts and components that make up the unit.This is the same unit in the new Dragon TM There is a number to purchase parts on the sheet. If you call them you can order parts from them to modify your unit. I added a thermostat and a flow switch that worked with less flow then the original unit. I plumbed it after my pressure regulator and straight out to my quick disconnect on the front of the truck mount. The original Landa unit operated on a generator attached to the gas engine. I could not modify the Avenger 210 to make it fit, so I ran through a GFI cord (Northern Tool) and am pluging it into a standard 110 I have a Honda 2000 on my trailer for doing forecloure jobs when power is off. I fired it up today for the first time, I am averageing around 220-230 degrees that is when the thermostat shuts it down. This is at the machine, so I am hoping to get at least 210 at the wand. I am into this whole heater project for around $400 plus my labor I had to weld up a stand to set it on next to the TM, but I used the metal from the Landa unit, I plasma cut the stand it was originally on and made legs for it, bolted it to the floor like the TM. It does kick out some smoke at first, but once you adjust the air bands on the burner unit it works fine. Most of the parts for these things can be had on line just pull up Hot water pressure washers. I have some pictures of it if needed. Hope this helps they are prety simple to hook up.

Chiquillo

Sep 6, 2008
South Baja / Mexico
Real Name
Osvaldo Trasvina
Business Location
Mexico
THAT'S WHAT I'M TRYING TO DO ALSO / I'M FROM SOUTH BAJA / MEXICO. HERE THERE ARE NO SHOP'S / THAT I CAN GO TO, AND MAKE ORIGINAL MODIFICATIONS.
EVERY TIME I GO TO SOUTH BAY / L.A
THAT'S WHEN I GET EXTRA PART'S & PURCHASE WHAT I NEED THE MOST. I ADVISE YOU, DON USE A Q-CONECTOR AT THE HEATER OUTPUT. IT IS WAY TO DANGEROUS / THOSE MACHINE ARE MEAN / I HAD A COUPLE OF BAD EXPERIENCE AND THE MOST YOU BE CAREFUL IS BETTER.

MINE IS 200PSI / 200F TOP
I USE A 50FT STEAM HOSE FOR BETTER HEAT HANDLELING UP TO 325F & I HAVE AN EXTRA 100FT / WITH 250F
THE MAIN HOSE / I CONNECTED TO THE MACHINE WITH OUT ANY Q-CONECTOR. FOR MORE SAFETY

THE PROBLEM WITH THIS TYPE OF HOSE / IS THAT WILL BURN MOST OF THE CARPETS. IF IT IS A REALLY TUFF COMMERCIAL ONE PROBABLY NOT

I TRY ALREADY TO USE THE MAIN HOSE OF MY HOTSY / CONNECTED TO MY WAND / I MADE AN SPECIAL ADAPTER. IT WORK FOR A FEW SECONDS. I NEED TO GET ME A MORE STRONG VALVE
BUT THE PROBLEM IS / THE HOSE BURNING THE CARPET

YOU WILL HAVE NICE HEAT FOR SURE / AS A TRUCK MOUNT I WILL SAY. THAT'S WHAT I'M TRYING TO ACHIVE. HERE IN SOUTH BAJA / TO DIFICULT TO BUY A TRUCKMOUNT. HERE I HAVE WORK WITH PORTABLES ALL THE TIME

BE CAREFUL WITH YOUR HOTSY / THEY ARE REALLY NICE. BUT REALLY DANGEROUS!!!.

kelly m

Nov 30, 2009
Utah
Real Name
Kelly McCloy
Business Location
United States
when i madee the first conversion...the only thing i forgot about was the thrmal limiting switch which i actually left active....so i advise ...that you rewire the unit to accomodate the carpet cleaning machines wiring..and typical installation of parts for a carpet cleaning machine...of course ...lol...scince then ive done a few other types of deisel heaters...lmao....im not sure i would use the pump that comes with the pressure washer for carpet cleaning...you will also find that there are some problems associated with the conversion....plumbing being one...but hey...if you dont try...youll never know how it works now will ya

Chiquillo

Sep 6, 2008
South Baja / Mexico
Real Name
Osvaldo Trasvina
Business Location
Mexico
Do you have already the type of hose you are gonna use / so it can used in your wand

I still have the original one / bought another 75ft more for bigger jobs. I use for know my hotsy for Semi Industrial Cleaning Only / not for carpet cleaning.
On my next trip to L.A / I want to get the accesories that I need to make it work for carpet cleaning also.

Send Pict. of your Hotsy & Modifications!!! peace

Blind Dr

Oct 15, 2008
Central Illinois
www.adamsproclean.com
Real Name
Gary
Business Location
United States
I have one of these units I use around the farm. It is VERy hot and does a great job. Now according to the local sales rep, the company can set it up so you can dial down the pressure with another regulator. I was looking at less pressure for mine. One point he did make is that with less pressure and less flow the water temps will rise a little bit, but with a temperature sensor for lower temps it may work. I am going to talk to the shop about this as well. I originally wanted one to dial in the water temp. We have the bigger unit mounted in one of our buildings. We use it to clean farrowing crates, walls, floors etc. We can dial it up or down both pressure and water temp. So I don't see why it could not be converted.

Reactions: Calgary Hog

Chiquillo

Sep 6, 2008
South Baja / Mexico
Real Name
Osvaldo Trasvina
Business Location
Mexico
I Have the smaller version I guess? cause it is the 200psi / 200F
but sure it does the job!!
On my next trip to L.A / I will stop by San Diego Hotsy Co. to get the best way to make my Hotsy, be able to work for Carpet Cleaning.

Put Pictures from your Modifications!!!

Calgary Hog

Aug 4, 2018
Real Name
Tinnam
All
THAT'S WHAT I'M TRYING TO DO ALSO / I'M FROM SOUTH BAJA / MEXICO. HERE THERE ARE NO SHOP'S / THAT I CAN GO TO, AND MAKE ORIGINAL MODIFICATIONS.
EVERY TIME I GO TO SOUTH BAY / L.A
THAT'S WHEN I GET EXTRA PART'S & PURCHASE WHAT I NEED THE MOST. I ADVISE YOU, DON USE A Q-CONECTOR AT THE HEATER OUTPUT. IT IS WAY TO DANGEROUS / THOSE MACHINE ARE MEAN / I HAD A COUPLE OF BAD EXPERIENCE AND THE MOST YOU BE CAREFUL IS BETTER.

MINE IS 200PSI / 200F TOP
I USE A 50FT STEAM HOSE FOR BETTER HEAT HANDLELING UP TO 325F & I HAVE AN EXTRA 100FT / WITH 250F
THE MAIN HOSE / I CONNECTED TO THE MACHINE WITH OUT ANY Q-CONECTOR. FOR MORE SAFETY

THE PROBLEM WITH THIS TYPE OF HOSE / IS THAT WILL BURN MOST OF THE CARPETS. IF IT IS A REALLY TUFF COMMERCIAL ONE PROBABLY NOT

I TRY ALREADY TO USE THE MAIN HOSE OF MY HOTSY / CONNECTED TO MY WAND / I MADE AN SPECIAL ADAPTER. IT WORK FOR A FEW SECONDS. I NEED TO GET ME A MORE STRONG VALVE
BUT THE PROBLEM IS / THE HOSE BURNING THE CARPET

YOU WILL HAVE NICE HEAT FOR SURE / AS A TRUCK MOUNT I WILL SAY. THAT'S WHAT I'M TRYING TO ACHIVE. HERE IN SOUTH BAJA / TO DIFICULT TO BUY A TRUCKMOUNT. HERE I HAVE WORK WITH PORTABLES ALL THE TIME

BE CAREFUL WITH YOUR HOTSY / THEY ARE REALLY NICE. BUT REALLY DANGEROUS!!!.
All you need is 190 F to clean carpets and change Pressure switch to flow ST06.
These units don't do well on generator if you are running low pressure as me 350 psi. You. An get away by ,115 volt.
Thanks

Ara Klujian

Moderator & TMF Repair Expert
Premium VIP
Jun 19, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.peterklujiancarpet.com
Real Name
ARA KLUJIAN
Business Location
United States
All
All you need is 190 F to clean carpets and change Pressure switch to flow ST06.
These units don't do well on generator if you are running low pressure as me 350 psi. You. An get away by ,115 volt.
Thanks
The st6 is a good flow switch. Even as technology advances it is still a proven winner.

Reactions: Calgary Hog