Hotel Cleaning Careful what you wish for

bob_rugratz

Premium VIP
Sep 30, 2009
Real Name
bob middleton
Business Location
United States
I thought I would throw a bit of info out there on Hotels. I been getting several pm's and phone calls on the subject. Basically this may help someone realize what they are getting into. And once the job is set maybe help first day go a little smoother with less trial and error. There is plenty more to deal with but this is basic stuff.

Firstly I suggest minimum #4 blower. Lower usage blower's may not have the cfm's to run 3-400 feet of vac line at the rate you need it to for hotel cleaning production. You could do it, but you will want more if you get several hotels.

A machine for encap. This is for that room they throw in there that's on the other side of the hotel. No need to worry about explaining encap process. Go clean the room and shut door. Beats the hell outta dragging hoses over to another section. My point is , I have never been ask how I cleaned a room after I start account. Its done, it looks great, its on bill. And a porty is nice if you are doing a bunch of furniture and carpet same day. but also requires extra man to run it. its odd but it happens. usually we just use TM for everything. with the odd encap.Some guys are using cimex on halls with great success. I actually suggest starting with HWE the first trip then do what you want. When we start one , the carpets are always horrid and not like cdg. A good rinse is in order.

Some of these points I make will also help in marketing GM's. Its what they want to hear and see. .

If they do " in house". Carpet will be loaded with soap and dirt. Charge more if you can. Because they most likely will only use you when they absolutely have to. And carpet will be rank. OK to let them know. Once monthly cleanings are started price can be adjusted. I have no problem making them hire me back to get a better price. DO what you feel you need though. I am a little leery of promises to use me and "keep me busy" comments at first. But if they say I want a monthly visit then go ahead and price it like that. The really good accounts are twice a month or more. I am talking a full day of work each visit.

One thing to really think about is working solo or not . Solo, may work for a while but. There's lots of equipment to deal with. Hose runs are always long. Just back and forth to the TM takes up precious time. And Time is limited by guest check in and out. I don't like to be there when too many people are walking around. Count on 11 a.m. to 4 pm and on the hotels that do not block rooms for you. You have to get the rooms done by 2 or 3 pm and then finish up working on halls. I prefer they block them but some are just to busy and they need those rooms later that night. If they block the rooms then you can work longer. I do it all the time. These are much easier to deal with. Last thing you want is a complaint about damp carpet by a guest.

Fans are big help and they really like to see you using them.. I put a phoenix axle fan in hall on one end, and leapfrog 3 fans in doorways in the rooms as we clean.

Luggage racks are your very best friend. We load everything, but fans including hoses first trip (200- 250 feet is a common load) . I go back down . He opens room doors and puts out door stops and treats coffee stains. Some places have a window on the end you can drop hoses from. But you will have to have tool to open them because they have a stopper. So then I run hoses from the truck to connect to what we carried up on luggage rack. Hook up water and start TM. He pre-sprays and I wait to idle up and check the gauge's with wand down so I see everything is operating properly. Important because you cant even hear the TM up there. and its a long way to check. Everything's going and I head back up to make money.

Hose pulling is very important as well. Wand will be moving in and out of rooms and hall way is narrow so he comes back pretty fast. You don't want him walking his own hose back too much. So keep them off of him. You will loose hours and be wasted with no hose puller. Keep the wand on the carpet.

Standard items list for me , all in one bag - Coffee remover, red remover, all solve, a fairly strong peroxide spotter (for post treatments) , crap load of door stops in a coffee can, B&D steamer, a couple rags, 4 bottled waters to go in room fridge, Extra powder prespray in a small cup for HF fill up's. That is about all you need for several hours work.

Some questions to ask
Ask if rooms will be blocked till next day after cleaning?
If they have a problem with grouping rooms together for you?
If you will be able to clean hallway while cleaning rooms?.
if they pick up or vacuum prior?
What are the slowest days of the week? This is important. Everybody wants Sunday or Monday. But I have too many to just clean those 2 days. So I have be quick if cleaning on a busy day. And get carpet dry in rooms for those that need to rent them that night
Although it sucks, Sunday is prolly the best day for money scooping at hotels. I have a couple that let me hit ANY vacant rooms along the way so Sundays can be huge.

Remember hacks don't take time to remove stains in carpet very well. The cheap guy they were using most likely left stains everywhere and made them deal with it. This will elevate your status with a GM more than you can imagine. Get every stain out possible. Coffee is the big one. Reds happen too but coffee and tea will be a everyday thing. Treat them when opening doors.

I am always looking for ways to make cleaning hotels easier. If anyone has a idea. I'd like to hear it.
Anybody needing any advice. I'd be glad to help. I'm not a guru on marketing other than I know how to get referrals by taking care of the accounts I have. I am now at a point were operational side is really important. Smoothing any rough edges in my process.

Recently added a portable live solution hose reel. Sits right on the luggage rack. And slack can be rolled up while cleaning. We sit it at the top of the stairs or by a window. Holds 200'. From there I just drop a line down to TM. REALLY want to make a portable vac reel with castors that will fit on a elevator and lock back down in trailer for transport. This is extreme . but you have to be extreme to clean several hotels and bank good money while not killing yourself in the process.
Rolling up hoses off the hose reel on the ground then unrolling for cleaning and rolling back up for elevator then back on the hose reel EVERY TRIP!!! . 2 to 3 times a week. You see my point.

Cimex is a game changer for hotels, and I will be incorporating one as soon as possible. But I don't think you can get away with using it 100% .I don't see that anyways. I am thinking 50% would be fantastic and more realistic. But still very good option to have.

Last edited:

Prosteam-sonomacounty

Premium VIP
Apr 23, 2013
Windsor, California
Real Name
Mike Camacho
I thought I would throw a bit of info out there on Hotels. I been getting several pm's and phone calls on the subject. Basically this may help someone realize what they are getting into. And once the job is set maybe help first day go a little smoother with less trial and error. There is plenty more to deal with but this is basic stuff.
Firstly I suggest minimum #4 blower. Lower usage blower's may not have the cfm's to run 3-400 feet of vac line at the rate you need it to for hotel cleaning production. You could do it, but you will want more if you get several hotels.
Keep a machine for encap. This is for that room they throw in there that's on the other side of the hotel. No need to worry about explaining encap process. Go clean the room and shut door. Beats the hell outta dragging hoses over to another section. My point is , I have never been ask how I cleaned a room after I start account. Its done, it looks great, its on bill. And a porty is nice if you are doing a bunch of furniture and carpet same day. but also requires extra man to run it. its odd but it happens. usually we just use TM for everything. with the odd encap.Some guys are using cimex on halls with great success. I actually suggest starting with HWE the first trip then do what you want. When we start one , the carpets are always horrid and not like cdg. A good rinse is in order.

Some of these points I make will also help in marketing GM's. Its what they want to hear and see. .

If they do " in house". Carpet will be loaded with soap and dirt. Charge more if you can. Because they most likely will only use you when they absolutely have to. And carpet will be rank. OK to let them know. Once monthly cleanings are started price can be adjusted. I have no problem making them hire me back to get a better price. DO what you feel you need though. I am a little leery of promises to use me and "keep me busy" comments at first. But if they say I want a monthly visit then go ahead and price it like that. The really good accounts are twice a month or more. I am talking a full day of work each visit.

One thing to really think about is working solo or not . Solo, may work for a while but. There's lots of equipment to deal with. Hose runs are always long. Just back and forth to the TM takes up precious time. And Time is limited by guest check in and out. I don't like to be there when too many people are walking around. Count on 11 a.m. to 4 pm and on the hotels that do not block rooms for you. You have to get the rooms done by 2 or 3 pm and then finish up working on halls. I prefer they block them but some are just to busy and they need those rooms later that night. If they block the rooms then you can work longer. I do it all the time. These are much easier to deal with. Last thing you want is a complaint about damp carpet by a guest.
Fans are big help and they really like to see you using them.. I put a phoenix axle fan in hall on one end, and leapfrog 3 fans in doorways in the rooms as we clean.
Luggage racks are your very best friend. We load everything, but fans including hoses first trip (200- 250 feet is a common load) . I go back down . He opens room doors and puts out door stops and treats coffee stains. Some places have a window on the end you can drop hoses from. But you will have to have tool to open them because they have a stopper. So then I run hoses from the truck to connect to what we carried up on luggage rack. Hook up water and start TM. He pre-sprays and I wait to idle up and check the gauge's with wand down so I see everything is operating properly. Important because you cant even hear the TM up there. and its a long way to check. Everything's going and I head back up to make money.
Hose pulling is very important as well. Wand will be moving in and out of rooms and hall way is narrow so he comes back pretty fast. You don't want him walking his own hose back too much. So keep them off of him. You will loose hours and be wasted with no hose puller. Keep the wand on the carpet.

Standard items list for me , all in one bag - Coffee remover, red remover, all solve, a fairly strong peroxide spotter (for post treatments) , crap load of door stops in a coffee can, B&D steamer, a couple rags, 4 bottled waters to go in room fridge, Extra powder prespray in a small cup for HF fill up's. That is about all you need for several hours work.

Some questions to ask
What are the slowest days of the week? This is important. Everybody wants Sunday or Monday. But I have too many to just clean those 2 days. So I have be quick if cleaning on a busy day. And get carpet dry in rooms for those that need to rent them that night
Although it sucks, Sunday is prolly the best day for money scooping at hotels. I have a couple that let me hit ANY vacant rooms along the way so Sundays can be huge.

Remember hacks don't take time to remove stains in carpet very well. The cheap guy they were using most likely left stains everywhere and made them deal with it. This will elevate your status with a GM more than you can imagine. Get every stain out possible. Coffee is the big one. Reds happen too but coffee and tea will be a everyday thing. Treat them when opening doors.

I am always looking for ways to make cleaning hotels easier. If anyone has a idea. I'd like to hear it.
Anybody needing any advice. I'd be glad to help. I'm not a guru on marketing other than I know how to get referrals by taking care of the accounts I have. I am now at a point were operational side is really important. Smoothing any rough edges in my process.

Recently added a portable live solution hose reel. Sits right on the luggage rack. And slack can be rolled up while cleaning. We sit it at the top of the stairs or by a window. Holds 200'. From there I just drop a line down to TM. REALLY want to make a portable vac reel with castors that will fit on a elevator and lock back down in trailer for transport. This is extreme . but you have to be extreme to clean several hotels and bank good money while not killing yourself in the process.
Rolling up hoses off the hose reel on the ground then unrolling for cleaning and rolling back up for elevator then back on the hose reel EVERY TRIP!!! . 2 to 3 times a week. You see my point.

Cimex is a game changer for hotels, and I will be incorporating one as soon as possible. But I don't think you can get away with using it 100% .I don't see that anyways. I am thinking 50% would be fantastic and more realistic. But still very good option to have.
Good god! 'East of Eden' was a faster read....;)

SixShooter

Feb 22, 2014
Real Name
Bill Sabia

A machine for encap. This is for that room they throw in there that's on the other side of the hotel. No need to worry about explaining encap process. Go clean the room and shut door. Beats the hell outta dragging hoses over to another section. My point is , I have never been ask how I cleaned a room after I start account. Its done, it looks great, its on bill. And a porty is nice if you are doing a bunch of furniture and carpet same day. but also requires extra man to run it. its odd but it happens. usually we just use TM for everything. with the odd encap.Some guys are using cimex on halls with great success. I actually suggest starting with HWE the first trip then do what you want. When we start one , the carpets are always horrid and not like cdg. A good rinse is in order.

Some questions to ask

Good god! 'East of Eden' was a faster read....;)

Some questions to ask

bob_rugratz

Premium VIP
Sep 30, 2009
Real Name
bob middleton
Business Location
United States
Today's load. 6th floor on down. One chair in every room. 300 total. But we are getting about 25 each floor. All that's vacant. Just using dm2 upholstery wand. Stair wand was just in case. But to much trouble changing. Getting about 25 and hour. Little more after we got going good. Have to come back next week as well. That's a 2x4 holding those vac hoses. Lol

Attachments

• 1440974563105.jpg
    1440974563105.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 324
  • 1440974574318.jpg
    1440974574318.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 293
Reactions: Jimmy Hitt

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
Today's load. 6th floor on down. One chair in every room. 300 total. But we are getting about 25 each floor. All that's vacant. Just using dm2 upholstery wand. Stair wand was just in case. But to much trouble changing. Getting about 25 and hour. Little more after we got going good. Have to come back next week as well. That's a 2x4 holding those vac hoses. Lol
When you go that high in a building, do you drop the hose over a railing, or do you run it down the stairs?

And if you drop it over a railing, what do you use to hold it, and support it so weight won't make it pinch?

Mardie

Oct 31, 2013
Real Name
Mardie VanBree

Some questions to ask

Sorry Bob but that hwe thing you got going on with hotels sound like a fricking night mare. But i gotta say you sure do sound like a hard core dedicated hwe guy .

Jimmy Hitt

Feb 9, 2014
Ashland City
Real Name
Jimmy Htt
Business Location
United States
Excellent post Bob, kinda crazy it only has a handful of replies, just proves drama prevails on here. Let's talk this week when ya get time, I'd love to hear more if ya don't mind. Hotels have been one industry I can't crack, and we have ALOT

Reactions: rob allen

Steve Toburen

Strategies for Success
Jul 15, 2008
Santiago, Dominican Republic
www.StrategiesForSuccess.com
Real Name
Steve Toburen
Business Location
Dominican Republic
Really good suggestions, Bob! One thing we hammered on was blocking the side-by-side rooms the night before. (I could deal with getting'em dry for the night after the cleaning.) Last minute "stay overs" will kill production!

Steve

PS HERE is some more hotel advice I sent a carpet cleaner.

Reactions: Jimmy Hitt

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Great stuff Bob!

bob_rugratz

Premium VIP
Sep 30, 2009
Real Name
bob middleton
Business Location
United States
When you go that high in a building, do you drop the hose over a railing, or do you run it down the stairs?

And if you drop it over a railing, what do you use to hold it, and support it so weight won't make it pinch?
Both , It is planned out for each hotel. I walk the place. Some hall windows do not open. So stairs is only option. Stair hook works fine. I have had hoses pinch, but its only the really old ones. A good hose holds up fine with stair hook. If its really high we add a cord to it

bob_rugratz

Premium VIP
Sep 30, 2009
Real Name
bob middleton
Business Location
United States
Sorry Bob but that hwe thing you got going on with hotels sound like a fricking night mare. But i gotta say you sure do sound like a hard core dedicated hwe guy .
I do wanna add more encap, But hotels get really trashed. hose runs takes some work but I cant imagine getting a trash juice line out of carpet with encap. And all those coffee stains. just left in carpet . They don't even try to clean it up. Has to be flushed. It is one of the main reason I get referred and get more work. One time I had another hotel gm come over and look at my work and how they are kept at one of my accounts. I got the new account because the halls looked like new. Hard to change method with results I am getting already. Not against it 100% but I personally am doing what my customer really like.

bob_rugratz

Premium VIP
Sep 30, 2009
Real Name
bob middleton
Business Location
United States
Really good suggestions, Bob! One thing we hammered on was blocking the side-by-side rooms the night before. (I could deal with getting'em dry for the night after the cleaning.) Last minute "stay overs" will kill production!

Steve

PS HERE is some more hotel advice I sent a carpet cleaner.
blocked rooms are best way to go. They block them night after or night before not both of course I have one that blocks night after. If they are stay over we just drop from list. We don't wait on it. Unless they leave while i'm still in area. its only a few here and there. I get monthly list and then updated list for that day when I arrive. It hasn't been a problem. If it is I would ask them to switch like you say. Block night before.

bob_rugratz

Premium VIP
Sep 30, 2009
Real Name
bob middleton
Business Location
United States
Excellent post Bob, kinda crazy it only has a handful of replies, just proves drama prevails on here. Let's talk this week when ya get time, I'd love to hear more if ya don't mind. Hotels have been one industry I can't crack, and we have ALOT
Thanks Jimmie, and that is true. I don't go for immediate replies necessarily. I know no one will read that much unless they are seriously considering hotels. I figure this is there for anyone down the road to read.

Anytime in the evening is is fine.