Hot Water Extraction Using Portables | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Hot Water Extraction Using Portables

BRTrk

Jun 20, 2020
Real Name
Brenda Reed
A particular portable carpet cleaning unit has my interest for it's lightweight and high lift vacuum suction. It will work in conjunction with a rotary rx20 nextgen. The portable uses a sink for hot water (Rotovac CSX15). Will that hot water be hot enough vs. larger portable extraction units with water heating units?

CCWorks

Premium VIP
Jan 3, 2010
Michigan
Real Name
Greg
Business Location
United States
what are you talking about?

(larger portable extraction units with water heating units?)

Last edited:
Reactions: BRTrk

CCWorks

Premium VIP
Jan 3, 2010
Michigan
Real Name
Greg
Business Location
United States
Can or should I guess?

(A particular portable carpet cleaning unit has my interest for it's lightweight and high lift vacuum suction.)

what you talking about...

It will work in conjunction with a rotary rx20 nextgen.

BRTrk

Jun 20, 2020
Real Name
Brenda Reed
what are you talking about?

(larger portable extraction units with water heating units?)
Hydramaster PEX 500 is a HWE Portable, 500 psi. I found out the 40 lb portable by Rotovac, hooks up to sink, not good, since sink water is hottest at 120 degrees. And many homeowners have lower hot water temperature.

John Rockwood

Oct 18, 2012
Oregon
Real Name
John Rockwood
I think we're talking about hot tap water for water pressure & heat vs a portable with traditional water pump and heating system. Not sure but I would be concerned about water pressure being not consistent at every job. My area has different pressures depending where you are. I think if you restricted jet size you could have a sufficient amount of hot water from customers water heater. In a perfect world it might work.

John Rockwood

Oct 18, 2012
Oregon
Real Name
John Rockwood
Hydramaster PEX 500 is a HWE Portable, 500 psi. I found out the 40 lb portable by Rotovac, hooks up to sink, not good, since sink water is hottest at 120 degrees. And many homeowners have lower hot water temperature.
If you turn on the faucet with the hot water side selected and you can't keep your hand under it because it's to hot then you should have water that's hot enough.
The problem is being able to maintain it at that level.

BRTrk

Jun 20, 2020
Real Name
Brenda Reed
If you turn on the faucet with the hot water side selected and you can't keep your hand under it because it's to hot then you should have water that's hot enough.
The problem is being able to maintain it at that level.
And there are many times you wait too long for hot water, or homeowner temperature setting too low. This portable Rotovac CSX 15, it has a 200 lift vacuum, 39 lbs, one hose in the toilet for disposal water, and the other hose hooks on a hot water sink faucet with modified adapters. I can appreciate the weight convenience of it, and will fit in a car.

Odin

Mar 26, 2014
Real Name
terje brevik
59446ef6-c2f5-4bed-ab8b-7c6e5b789700.jpg
if your going to have to hook up to a sink the steamon deamon is your best choice unbelievable rate of high flow

CCWorks

Premium VIP
Jan 3, 2010
Michigan
Real Name
Greg
Business Location
United States
Just look at all the portables you can get. See Link Below
Look and compare and then come back and ask questions.

Good portables for carpet cleaning have, 2, 15 amp cords, good water lift (HG) and air flow, (CFM), and no electric water heater.
Portables for business use, fast production, have auto dump and auto fill. you use toilet and home tap water supply, most homes have hot tap water, some go up to 140 temp.
Pumps that have over 1.5 gallons per minute work OK with rotaries and carpet cleaning wands.

A basic carpet cleaning Truck Mount pump has 3 plus gallons per minute water flow, up to 2000 psi, and 14 HG with 200 plus CFMs.

Last edited:

BRTrk

Jun 20, 2020
Real Name
Brenda Reed
Just look at all the portables you can get. See Link Below
Look and compare and then come back and ask questions.

Good portables for carpet cleaning have, 2, 15 amp cords, good water lift (HG) and air flow, (CFM), and no electric water heater.
Portables for business use, fast production, have auto dump and auto fill. you use toilet and home tap water supply, most homes have hot tap water, some go up to 140 temp.
Pumps that have over 1.5 gallons per minute work OK with rotaries and carpet cleaning wands.

A basic carpet cleaning Truck Mount pump has 3 plus gallons per minute water flow, up to 2000 psi, and 14 HG with 200 plus CFMs.

I appreciate your feedback. Perhaps it is newer engineering in portables, and portables known for not having hot water systems built in. Actually, Hydramaster's PEX 500 does have an in built heating system that offers hot water up to 212 degrees.

CCWorks

Premium VIP
Jan 3, 2010
Michigan
Real Name
Greg
Business Location
United States
I appreciate your feedback. Perhaps it is newer engineering in portables, and portables known for not having hot water systems built in. Actually, Hydramaster's PEX 500 does have an in built heating system that offers hot water up to 212 degrees.
There are no 12 amp electric heating elements that can heat one gallon of water at 60 degrees to 212 degrees in one minute.

Maybe there are, I just never seen one. I have tried 2 bucket, brand new, top of the line, 12 amp electric heating elements, put in 4 / 5 gallons of cool water and it took over 30 minute to get really hot, not boiling hot.

Water · Boiling point
212°F (100°C)

Last edited:

John Rockwood

Oct 18, 2012
Oregon
Real Name
John Rockwood
Just borrow or demo one, turn it on pull the trigger and see how long it takes to go cold. I think you are looking through the eyes of a newbie instead of being realistic in your expectations.

BRTrk

Jun 20, 2020
Real Name
Brenda Reed
There are no 12 amp electric heating elements that can heat one gallon of water at 60 degrees to 212 degrees in one minute.

Maybe there are, I just never seen one. I have tried 2 bucket, brand new, top of the line, 12 amp electric heating elements, put in 4 / 5 gallons of cool water and it took over 30 minute to get really hot, not boiling hot.

Water · Boiling point
212°F (100°C)
John ...it's not 12 amp. It does say it uses 15 amp.

BRTrk

Jun 20, 2020
Real Name
Brenda Reed
Hi CC Works.
I certainly don't want to find myself with a $4,000.00 HWE portable that will take too long to heat to boiling point. I appreciate seeing this volume water heating calculator. I will print out this units specifications to see how long it will take at full volume fill. Man, if it takes it one hour, then that will not help me.
View attachment 92609if your going to have to hook up to a sink the steamon deamon is your best choice unbelievable rate of high flow
That looks like an awesome machine wand. Who makes that Steam Demon.?

BRTrk

Jun 20, 2020
Real Name
Brenda Reed
Can or should I guess?

(A particular portable carpet cleaning unit has my interest for it's lightweight and high lift vacuum suction.)

what you talking about...

It will work in conjunction with a rotary rx20 nextgen.
Sorry, don't mean to confuse, but statment came from the demonstrator. He compared it with large portables, and showed on his meter it had a 200 lift. But it won't serve well for heat since dependent on consumers hot water, since pressure and temperature are going to vary.

CCWorks

Premium VIP
Jan 3, 2010
Michigan
Real Name
Greg
Business Location
United States
Hi CC Works.
I certainly don't want to find myself with a $4,000.00 HWE portable that will take too long to heat to boiling point. I appreciate seeing this volume water heating calculator. I will print out this units specifications to see how long it will take at full volume fill. Man, if it takes it one hour, then that will not help me.

That looks like an awesome machine wand. Who makes that Steam Demon.?
Remember, carpet mills that make residetal carpet recommend hot water to be no more then 160 degrees for best maintenance.

CCWorks

Premium VIP
Jan 3, 2010
Michigan
Real Name
Greg
Business Location
United States
There is a lot of misleading information on products.
Yepa, even in the carpet cleaning business.

BRTrk

Jun 20, 2020
Real Name
Brenda Reed
Just borrow or demo one, turn it on pull the trigger and see how long it takes to go cold. I think you are looking through the eyes of a newbie instead of being realistic in your expectations.
Oh no. I sure hope it doesn't cold up on me. I'm waiting on certification iirc, so I have time to learn about these portables. That would really suck, but you've been around long enough to know. U betcha I'm going to do just that.

Reactions: John Rockwood