Luke S.

Sep 12, 2013
Minneapolis
www.lsmain.com
Real Name
Luke Stead
Business Location
United States
Does anyone here do any hood cleaning for restaurants ? I ve heard its extremely difficult and I'm wandering if it really is as hard as I've heard to take on this kind of work.

mary

Feb 17, 2012
Real Name
Mary jonson
Business Location
United States
When it comes to overall hood, duct and fan cleaning services, restaurants are not recommended to do it themselves unless they have someone trained and certified to do it. As it's a very comprehensive process, a very dirty process and it produces a lot of byproduct that has to be removed, it is always recommended to hire professional services.

Presidential Cleaning

Nov 13, 2008
The White House
www.presidentialcleaningtn.com
Real Name
Zac
Business Location
United States
We do over 30 accounts

Here's a post I made:

Hood cleaning is at night, it's dirty and you will need a lot of stuff to get started. I have a 6x12 enclosed trailer with a hot water pressure washer setup mounted in it along with various tools and equipment. This trailer is for hoods and pressure washing jobs. I also have a small electric pressure washer my guys use on smaller or easier jobs.

Since we do a ton of restaurants I always ask if they need any other services. Hood cleaning was a very common one. Mostly because these large companies will get a ton of national accounts and just sub out the work to the smaller companies and pay them pennies...resulting in poor work. I knew I could get my guys to do a better job and started looking for a school that would certify me. It's a law, you must be NFPA 96 certified to clean hoods. Schools in my area wouldn't certify me due to competition, so you may run into those problems. No worries, someone will certify you that's not too far away.

A hot water pressure washer is a must. Don't worry about psi cause the most you will use is around 2000. This is where gpm comes in handy. We use pressure washer with 4gpm capabilities and it does the job and haven't had an issue. You can go higher gpm but the cost of the pressure washer will increase greatly. I would highly suggest 2 guys per job. This is standard for us because I like faster production times but mainly for security. Your initial startup cost will depend on the equipment you go with. I spent roughly 10k on hot water pw'er, trailer, tools, equipment, etc. I can give u a list of most of what you will need to do the job. Wrapping the hoods with plastic is probably the most time consuming at first. The better you wrap the hood the easier the job is and it also makes cleanup much easier! My guys wear full rain suits to keep from getting wet and dirty and they also wear 2 way radios so they can communicate when one is on the roof and other is on the line cleaning.

Typically hood prices vary. I won't touch a hood for less than $300. That's a single hood at a small location like sonic. Bigger restaurants like Applebee's, TGI Fridays, etc will get charged 550-650 depending on how frequent they want it cleaned. Asian restaurants we charge an extra $100 because the grease is a little harder to remove....I guess that's what happens when you cook cats.

falcans

Feb 26, 2012
Canada
Real Name
Ricardo bials
Business Location
Canada
We do over 30 accounts

Here's a post I made:

Hood cleaning is at night, it's dirty and you will need a lot of stuff to get started. I have a 6x12 enclosed trailer with a hot water pressure washer setup mounted in it along with various tools and equipment. This trailer is for hoods and pressure washing jobs. I also have a small electric pressure washer my guys use on smaller or easier jobs.

Since we do a ton of restaurants I always ask if they need any other services. Hood cleaning was a very common one. Mostly because these large companies will get a ton of national accounts and just sub out the work to the smaller companies and pay them pennies...resulting in poor work. I knew I could get my guys to do a better job and started looking for a school that would certify me. It's a law, you must be NFPA 96 certified to clean hoods. Schools in my area wouldn't certify me due to competition, so you may run into those problems. No worries, someone will certify you that's not too far away.

A hot water pressure washer is a must. Don't worry about psi cause the most you will use is around 2000. This is where gpm comes in handy. We use pressure washer with 4gpm capabilities and it does the job and haven't had an issue. You can go higher gpm but the cost of the pressure washer will increase greatly. I would highly suggest 2 guys per job. This is standard for us because I like faster production times but mainly for security. Your initial startup cost will depend on the equipment you go with. I spent roughly 10k on hot water pw'er, trailer, tools, equipment, etc. I can give u a list of most of what you will need to do the job. Wrapping the hoods with plastic is probably the most time consuming at first. The better you wrap the hood the easier the job is and it also makes cleanup much easier! My guys wear full rain suits to keep from getting wet and dirty and they also wear 2 way radios so they can communicate when one is on the roof and other is on the line cleaning.

Typically hood prices vary. I won't touch a hood for less than $300. That's a single hood at a small location like sonic. Bigger restaurants like Applebee's, TGI Fridays, etc will get charged 550-650 depending on how frequent they want it cleaned. Asian restaurants we charge an extra $100 because the grease is a little harder to remove....I guess that's what happens when you cook cats.
@Presidential Cleaning
im thinking of doing this the current hood cleaner charges 750.00 per place every 3 months the owner of the restaurant him and his partner has 13 places if i can work on a price for volume i can snag all this work! i have a 6x12 trailer its getting customized atm, how much does the cost of doing the courses cost, and what about insurance?

falcans

Feb 26, 2012
Canada
Real Name
Ricardo bials
Business Location
Canada
for more information look at this..
http://www.chdca.com/Default.aspx?pageId=1204263

Option 2: Experienced Hood Cleaner Written Exam

For those folks that are experienced (at least 500 hours of recent on the job experience), and are good at self Study, have in the past 12 months documented experience of currently cleaning grease exhaust systems, 10 sets of before/after pictures, and proof of insurance, then Option 2 is for you. You can choose a 1 year, 2 year or 3 year membership.

The 140 question exam is based off of the NFPA 96 (70%) and prior experience with cleaning kitchen exhaust systems (30%). The exam consists of multiple choice, fill in the blank, all the above/none of the above/ some of the above, re-sequencing and is designed to measure the overall general knowledge required to be a professional kitchen grease exhaust cleaner in today's demanding marketplace.

Reactions: mary

Presidential Cleaning

Nov 13, 2008
The White House
www.presidentialcleaningtn.com
Real Name
Zac
Business Location
United States
Even if they give you all 13 locations don't drop your price too much. If they are paying $750 every quarter, then the lowest id do is $650 for each location.

Your gonna need at least 1 person as a helper. Especially until you get it all down. As for the cost of the class, it's been a little while but I think it was around $2200...maybe cheaper. I'll have to get back to you about the insurance, my office admin does all that. I do know its not cheap to be properly insured though.

Entretien SG

Jan 27, 2014
Mont-Joli, QC
www.entretien-sg.com
Real Name
Stephane Gamelin
Business Location
Canada
for more information look at this..
http://www.chdca.com/Default.aspx?pageId=1204263

Option 2: Experienced Hood Cleaner Written Exam

For those folks that are experienced (at least 500 hours of recent on the job experience), and are good at self Study, have in the past 12 months documented experience of currently cleaning grease exhaust systems, 10 sets of before/after pictures, and proof of insurance, then Option 2 is for you. You can choose a 1 year, 2 year or 3 year membership.

The 140 question exam is based off of the NFPA 96 (70%) and prior experience with cleaning kitchen exhaust systems (30%). The exam consists of multiple choice, fill in the blank, all the above/none of the above/ some of the above, re-sequencing and is designed to measure the overall general knowledge required to be a professional kitchen grease exhaust cleaner in today's demanding marketplace.

I would recommend Phil Ackland training as it is simply the better KEC training available as we speak...

Entretien SG

Jan 27, 2014
Mont-Joli, QC
www.entretien-sg.com
Real Name
Stephane Gamelin
Business Location
Canada
@Presidential Cleaning
im thinking of doing this the current hood cleaner charges 750.00 per place every 3 months the owner of the restaurant him and his partner has 13 places if i can work on a price for volume i can snag all this work! i have a 6x12 trailer its getting customized atm, how much does the cost of doing the courses cost, and what about insurance?

I don't know where you're located but it's not everywhere in Canada that you need to absolutly be certified in order to do KEC.

Feb 15, 2012
California
Real Name
Johnny Smith
Business Location
United States
When it comes to overall hood, duct and fan cleaning services, restaurants are not recommended to do it themselves. Many restaurant hood cleaning companies offer a filter cleaning and replacement service as part of their comprehensive hood cleaning and repair services.

bob_rugratz

Premium VIP
Sep 30, 2009
Real Name
bob middleton
Business Location
United States
Some places with multiple accounts will require a certificate of insurance for each location. friend of mine does it. And he just ran into this. Cost for operating went up at that point.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using TMF Forums mobile app

CCS Canopy Cleaning

Dec 7, 2020
canopycleaningservices.com.au
Real Name
Sandy Singh
Yes, we do. You can check out our website to see some of the hood cleaning demonstration we did for our client, and you'll see it does take a lot of effort. You have to do things such as filter cleaning, duct cleaning, and equipment cleaning along with hood cleaning as well mostly.