Home made hose vacuum hose reel | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Home made hose vacuum hose reel

jlittlesol

Jan 31, 2013
Real Name
joe solarino
I got tired of winding my vacuum hoses up by hand so I made a hose reel. I know it's a monster but I used what I had. The sides are 3/4 plywood, the take up is a 50 gallon drum, I made a different one with a 30 gallon drum but didn't like it so I changed the design and all I had was a 50. It spins on 2 bar stool plates which are 2 plates sandwiched together with bearings in between which work great and are only $16 each. The handles that I grab to spin it go around the entire drum on both sides and are made of 3/4 PVC pipe. That was only $18. The handles ( 3/4 PVC pipe) had to be heated with a torch and bent around another drum I had to get the shape but when they cooled I couldn't get them perfect but nothing is on this reel. I also made a 110 gallon recovery tank out of two 55 Gallon drums. I connected them at the base with 1 1/2 PVC so they both fill evenly (in theory) and I also put 2 drains at bottom of both drums that I hook a hose too. It seems to work great. If I did carpets all day every day I would buy the manufactured hose reels and recovery tanks but for the amount I do this works great.
20190803_134613.jpg
20190803_134629.jpg

jlittlesol

Jan 31, 2013
Real Name
joe solarino
Thanks for the compliment. I also appreciate the offer on the hose reel and if I didn't put so much time in this one I would take you up on that offer but I'll try this one out for a while.

jlittlesol

Jan 31, 2013
Real Name
joe solarino
Great job man!!!!
We used to build hose reels out of plywood but that was 20 years ago. Your ingenuity will keep you going
I actually tried to make it so I could wind it up with a crank handle. I put a wheelbarrow tire up against it with a bolt going through plywood to a handle but it didn't work so good. I was thinking a flywheel mounted on barrel with a smaller one next to it connected with a chain and a handle to crank but I don't want to take it apart right now.

clh_10

Jul 16, 2019
Real Name
Carson
Business Location
United States
Where are you located?
I have 3 vac hose reels if you want one, free for the taking if you pay shopping. But your home built real looks nice, good job..
I'm in the market for one I'm in Scottsdale, willing to pay shipping.