Home Depot and Dry-Ez flood jobs direct? Video... | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Home Depot and Dry-Ez flood jobs direct? Video...

Discussion in 'Water Damage, Fire & Mold Restoration' started by rob allen, Jun 18, 2017.

CONNECTING CLEANERS WORLDWIDE

1. rob allen

rob allen Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator Top Poster of Month

Sep 5, 2007
    Male
    President
    Va.
    Ratings:
    +27,687 / 87 / -0
    Home Depot and Dry-Ez move into the professional water damage market?? Thats the question. Here is a video of a job I was called out to. Seems we maybe bypassed as pros. What do you think?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. CleanSteps LLC

CleanSteps LLC Active Member

Jan 15, 2014
    Male
    Ratings:
    +179 / 0 / -0
    I'm sure it's just the beginning. I can guess they aren't certified properly therefore when things go south after a customer screws the pooch from bad advice their insurance providers are probably not going to cover the damages caused.

• Like Like x 1
  3. igare

igare Active Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Male
    Carpet cleaner
    Chicago
    Ratings:
    +65 / 1 / -0
    Rob, homedepot sold chem-dry about 5 or 6 years ago; they no longer own Chem-dry .

The new deal about renting equipment its going to be a disaster for the customer .

• Like Like x 1
  4. rob allen

rob allen Administrator

Sep 5, 2007
    Male
    President
    Va.
    Ratings:
    +27,687 / 87 / -0
    Yes that water damage migrated through the kitchen and bathrooms. You can bet those cabinets and walls will or already mildewing.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Robert86

Robert86 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2016
    Male
    Missoula, MT
    Ratings:
    +1,172 / 1 / -0
    I've never gotten wholly accurate advice from home depot on simple things. I've often gotten wrong advice from home depot. I've watched them screw up plenty of installations (never let them install anything that involves cutting a hole in anything). And now I'm thinking about all the training people go through to be qualified to do this sort of work and some guy at the counter wearing an orange apron is going to advise someone on how to do it themselves... Well, more money for us when they need to have us fix it I guess.

• Like Like x 1
  6. CleanSteps LLC

Jan 15, 2014
    Male
    Ratings:
    +179 / 0 / -0
    I can't see a person who is wrt and asd certified working at Home Depot for 10-12 an hr

• Like Like x 3
  7. Robert86

Robert86 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2016
    Male
    Missoula, MT
    Ratings:
    +1,172 / 1 / -0
    Don't be stupid. They'd make $13.25 an hour!

• Like Like x 1
  8. keep it clean

Premium VIP

Dec 3, 2012
    Male
    carpet cleaning/installation
    Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2 / -0
    A very small few know what they are doing at homers. But they only work in electrical & plumbing mon - fri till noon. These are the guys if you ask how to run a circuit. Or how to run a gas line. They will tell you "higher a professional!" Everyone else there is just a body. An empty shell trying to get you out on your way.

• Like Like x 2
  9. CleanSteps LLC

Jan 15, 2014
    Male
    Ratings:
    +179 / 0 / -0
    #9 CleanSteps LLC, Jun 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
    Only if their willing to work second shift and have their forklift certs. Lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. tres

tres Active Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Male
    Ratings:
    +221 / 1 / -0
    They have been renting equipment for a long time at the larger ones that have the tool rental department

That's nothing new

They also just signed a new deal with b-air and will be selling restoration equipment as well

This is a good thing for us. More competition creates better prices and more do it yourself people creates more screw ups to fix

11. Kyle8

Kyle8 Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2016
    Ratings:
    +701 / 12 / -0
    I always thought i might rent equipment from them.

12. tres

tres Active Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Male
    Ratings:
    +221 / 1 / -0
    We have rented equipment in a pinch and also bought air movers in a pinch

Interlink and Jon don are great but if you get tapped out and need something on sat or sun....Home Depot is there

13. rob allen

rob allen Administrator

Sep 5, 2007
    Male
    President
    Va.
    Ratings:
    +27,687 / 87 / -0
    True but only in last year or so have they been ramping it up. They want market share.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mama Fen

Mama Fen Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2012
    Female
    Supply/distribution
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +2,713 / 0 / -0
    I ran an orange box for quite some time (including those overnight freight crews, lol, and yes I am a forklift, reach truck, OP, and slipsheet machine operator). We had two Master plumbers and THREE Master electricians working for us, mostly because the building market was soft and they needed the extra income. They were always happy to go over simple things with DIY customers and quite often could be found repairing small projects for the customer right there in the aisle.

With that in mind, much as I love HD's "PK" program (short for product knowledge), they simply don't have the budget to keep a bunch of true pros on hand anymore and the chances of finding a plumber, electrician, GC, or other well-seasoned pro in an orange apron are decidedly slim nowadays.

By extension, the chance that a homeowner will receive proper help and instruction in trying to "save money" and handle their own water loss is not great. There are laymen out there who will do the research, understand the concepts, and get the job done properly solo, but they are going to be the exception rather than the rule...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. justlife

justlife Active Member

Mar 1, 2014
    Male
    Ratings:
    +71 / 3 / -0
    When ever there is water damage on carpet the padding needs to be pulled out immediately failure to do so can cause mold and mildew. Pull padding, use blower to dry carpet once carpet has fully dried lay new padding sanitize back of carpet put back together sanitize top of carpet and then steam clean

16. CleanSteps LLC

Jan 15, 2014
    Male
    Ratings:
    +179 / 0 / -0
    I stopped in my local HD and they don't offer that service yet. They said it's coming though.

17. OldCarpetVet

OldCarpetVet Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2014
    Male
    F.A.R.T. = Fabric Analyst & Restoration Technician
    Florida
    Ratings:
    +4,558 / 7 / -0
    I wouldn't let Home Cheapo install a light bulb for me.

Now that that's out of the way......Rob, I personally wouldn't concern myself with it. They're going to do what ever it is they want to do anyway and we can't stop them.
    But what Home Cheapo is doing is a drop in the bucket compared to what ServPro has done to the industry AND to their own franchisees.

As you know, Rob I made my bread and butter from insurance claim work (not including my first profession as a LEO) and it is a far cry from what it once was. 30 years ago if you went to the water damage restoration section of the yellow pages, you'd be lucky to find one company that did it. Super lucky if you found a ServiceMaster. Back then ServiceMaster was #1 and Servpro was a waaaaaaaaaaay distant second as far as franchise companies go.

Today it is Servpro who is #1 and ServiceMaster is a very, VERY distant 2nd. Now, I am friends with a LOT of insurance adjusters and other restoration company owners and we all know what Servpro did. Can't prove it (yet) but we know nonetheless. And forget about what they do to their own franchise owners. Everyone waits for the day when that really, REALLY big job comes in, as they should. But if it does and you're a Servpro franchise owner....fuggitaboudit! The Servpro big wigs in Tennessee will take that job from you and make you beg for little piece of it. And I know this to be factual.

So now all of the other restoration franchises like Rainbow, Paul Davis and independent companies are fighting for the crumbs. That's the main reason why I decided to hang it up. I've seen enough. And enough to know exactly where that part of the industry is going.....And I wanted no more do to with it.

As far as people being liable for giving information. I doubt that anything will ever come of it unless someone dies. All one has to do is go on youtube and there you (Harry Home Owner) will find more than enough information to get by with. And they will. Of course I could be wrong here.

Just like when the sky was falling back in the mid 1990's when Vertical Integration was taking place in this industry, this too will possibly pass. The only advice I can give is this......Adapt.

18. rob allen

rob allen Administrator

Sep 5, 2007
    Male
    President
    Va.
    Ratings:
    +27,687 / 87 / -0
    Great reply

19. rob allen

rob allen Administrator

Sep 5, 2007
    Male
    President
    Va.
    Ratings:
    +27,687 / 87 / -0
    Another great reply

• Like Like x 1
  20. rob allen

rob allen Administrator

Sep 5, 2007
    Male
    President
    Va.
    Ratings:
    +27,687 / 87 / -0
    Ouch and yep