Home Advisor | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Home Advisor

Discussion in 'General Carpet Cleaning & Upholstery Discussion' started by Robert86, Aug 11, 2017.

CONNECTING CLEANERS WORLDWIDE

1. Robert86

Robert86 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2016
    Male
    Missoula, MT
    Ratings:
    +1,057 / 1 / -0
    I was contacted by them the other day. Has anyone worked with them?

My understanding is you pay them for a phone number basically and then you call the customer who is looking for work to be done. So I would have to upsell my business still, its not a guaranteed contract but they would help me get in touch with potential customers. I'm struggling in this new location so maybe it would be a good thing to get started with. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on them.

They seem to have a good mix of commercial and residential jobs and I cover a range of cleaning services not just carpet (I mostly do hard surface).

2. PistolPete

PistolPete Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    Male
    Ratings:
    +440 / 0 / -0
    Problem I found is when you sign up there isn't a specific classification for Tile cleaning.
    All I was getting was Tile or flooring replacement calls, and most of those were looky loos just wanting free estimates.

• Like Like x 2
  3. brian3180

brian3180 Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2010
    Owner/Operator
    Texas
    Ratings:
    +411 / 3 / -0
    They make it sound like a no-brainer decision but it's a scam. They lie about "the one time, non-refundable fee", which is not a one time fee but a yearly fee and they lie about the price of the lead. Most of the leads are terrible and a joke.

• Like Like x 3
  4. keep it clean

Premium VIP

Dec 3, 2012
    Male
    carpet cleaning/installation
    Ratings:
    +5,514 / 2 / -0
    Dont even talk to them. Just give them 2 simple words and hang up. 2 simple words starts with F and ends with U. They are THE worst people to talk to. And they have absolutely no problem with wasting your time on the phone. Like while your on a job. In fact they will make it seem as if your wasting their time. Even though you are potentially their customer.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Six Figure Solo Cleaner

Premium VIP

Nov 24, 2012
    Male
    Ratings:
    +3,578 / 63 / -0
  6. Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
    Male
    Missoula, MT
    Ratings:
    +1,057 / 1 / -0
    The guy I talked to said the fee was yearly. But I have wondered about the quality of the leads. Am I just paying $15 to talk to a price shopper?

7. Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
    Male
    Missoula, MT
    Ratings:
    +1,057 / 1 / -0
    Yep, they guy called me and I was standing in the middle of a room (about 800 sq ft) covered in stripper. Told him I was in the middle of stripping a floor and couldn't talk and he asked if I could find a good stopping point to talk to him for 10 minutes. Told him I have 60 seconds to reschedule his call and then I'm hanging up. He'll call me again Monday. Eh, he's a salesman, I expect them to be a little pushy about it.

8. keep it clean

Premium VIP

Dec 3, 2012
    Male
    carpet cleaning/installation
    Ratings:
    +5,514 / 2 / -0
    Oh the calls will get more frequent. And if you tell him no. He'll not only hassle not hustle. But hassle you more... he'll want an explanation as to why you dont want the service. Its almost like breaking up with a crazy chic best way to explain them.

Find a good stopping point lol. Tell him to give you his personal cell # and you will call him around 11:30 at night when its most convenient for you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Travis Teague

Travis Teague Active Member

Oct 5, 2016
    Male
    Ratings:
    +305 / 0 / -0
    I use them , it is like 250 to get set up them like 30 bucks per lead . They sell the lead to 4 other cleaners and you have to call and sell your stuff . I get about 4 leads per month. Half are price shoppers wanting the cheapest deal. The other half are decent leads but I found they are usally high maintenance people. I was warned on this fourm to not use this service but I did not listen. I should have listened. So far I have broken even. My advice is companies selling leads are not working or worth the cost.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Mrs.SpeedySteamer

Mrs.SpeedySteamer Moderator ~ And Most Awesome Member
    Staff Member Moderator

Apr 26, 2012
    Female
    Business Branding
    Somewhere over the Rainbow
    Ratings:
    +4,093 / 4 / -0
    If you want to test the waters with HomeAdvisor I recommend you try and negotiate a deal with them. Don't sign up for a year. Get the fee waived and ask for a $100 credit to test the quality of leads they are sending your way. They want your business, or they wouldn't be calling. Tell them you're on the fence and looking at lead quality between them, Yelp, and Thumbtack. Ask them what type of resources do they provide their vendors with? Ask them how many leads are sent to a single prospective client and if it is somewhere in writing to confirm? Learn how to tango with the best of them...

Now with that said... I wouldn't recommend going with them if you can't receive a free trial period... WHY?!? Google carpet cleaning in your area.... They don't appear on the first page... It is Yelp, that is pushing hard in your area...

The struggle is real...

- Pound pavement - knock on doors and handout business cards...

Some are fortunate to open their doors and have a line of people waiting for their service... Others have to get up, step away from the computer, put on a nice outfit and go get clients... Do this... Easier said than done, I know...

Good Luck!
    ~Tiffany

• Like Like x 3
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
    Male
    Missoula, MT
    Ratings:
    +1,057 / 1 / -0
    MUCH easier said than done. I've been getting nowhere pounding pavement so far and that why when they called I decided to give it some consideration. I'm glad I asked on here though.

I like your approach, when I talk to him Monday I think that'll be the approach I take. On the fence, looking at other services... A free trial period is a good idea, I like it.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Busy Bee Floor Care

Busy Bee Floor Care Active Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Male
    Ratings:
    +179 / 0 / -0
    Been with home advisor for over 5 years now. Have about an 85 percent close rate. Work great for me.

13. Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
    Male
    Missoula, MT
    Ratings:
    +1,057 / 1 / -0
    Thats awesome! I'm wondering if people experience might depend a bit on the area they are in, the amount of competition in their area. Less competition, fewer people using home advisor, better experience for the contractor as they'll likely close more deals.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Busy Bee Floor Care

Busy Bee Floor Care Active Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Male
    Ratings:
    +179 / 0 / -0
    My son moved to Kansas and opened up his own carpet cleaning business. He immediately started with home advisor and he stays busy 5 days a week. They were a big part of his start up.

• Like Like x 1
  15. AndyT

AndyT New Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Male
    Michigan
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    With Home Advisor you still need to be able to sell yourself. If you are finding it difficult being face to face, selling to price shoppers over the phone is tougher. They are giving your number along with two competitors you need to outsell the other two for you to be productive with it.
    I have used them for two years and at best it was a break even proposition. They also set up phony carpet cleaning companies that compete with you on the web. Type in carpet cleaning and your city, look for any carpet cleaning company that you do not recognize as being local. If it has a toll free number call it see if it takes you to HA. My area it is Convenient Carpet Cleaning.

16. Travis Teague

Travis Teague Active Member

Oct 5, 2016
    Male
    Ratings:
    +305 / 0 / -0
    Andy, then what happens does home advisor then dispatch this out to a real company. Why set up a phony company?

17. longkenn

longkenn Well-Known Member

May 7, 2011
    Floor Care
    Winston-Salem, North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +4,249 / 7 / -0
    I have to disagree, Tiffany! Home Advisor is great at sucking money from your wallet and not much else. You will be doing good to break even. Spend your money where it will work for you. A great website and work your referrals like crazy.

18. Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
    Male
    Missoula, MT
    Ratings:
    +1,057 / 1 / -0
    Thats awesome! I had a very small marketing budget where I was. Only a couple hundred a year. Smaller town, most my work was found through word of mouth, couple friends that are contractors and flooring installers in that area, they were always happy to recommend me. I don't do a lot of residential, mostly commercial, it wasn't hard to pick up business around there just walking in and introducing myself. Whole other story in this new town. A lot bigger, lots more competition. What worked before doesn't now so I think getting with a company like this might be good, if just to help start getting my name around.

@Mrs.SpeedySteamer I googled carpet cleaners and Yelp was the 5th result, Thumbtack was 7th, but both on page one. Home Advisor was 2nd to last on page 4. With that I think if I were to invest my money I'd want to go for Yelp or Thumbtack. Thanks for bringing that up, its definitely going to influence my decision here.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Mrs.SpeedySteamer

Mrs.SpeedySteamer Moderator ~ And Most Awesome Member
    Staff Member Moderator

Apr 26, 2012
    Female
    Business Branding
    Somewhere over the Rainbow
    Ratings:
    +4,093 / 4 / -0
    This is why I said free trial period... Don't pay right away, and see how it works for your business. For us, HomeAdvisor was horrible. But We had our sign up waived and was given a $50 credit. Used our credit and walked away. We had better results with Thumbtack, before they raised their prices on credit purchases.

In general, the pay for leads is a pretty expensive investment. For some, it works great and for others, it can be a money pit.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  20. Jeff Marek

Jeff Marek Active Member

Aug 24, 2012
    Male
    Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    The as$?!ole I talked to said "if you don't use us, you'll be out of business real quick"!
    I would NEVER use any company that allows there people to hard sell that way!!

• Like Like x 2