Mcata

Jul 28, 2010
NJ
Real Name
Michael Catalfumo
Business Location
United States
Hi all,
this forum has been invaluable to me over the last few months in my research. Thank you for putting this up and maintaining it!
This is my first TM and I initially thought of a slide in (Legend GT, etc.) but ultimately decided on a truck powered unit. I have narrowed down my options between a Butler with upgraded heat and blower or a HM 4.8 CDS with Salsa. The rep for HM mentioned that the trucks exhaust is diverted to the Heat Exchanger, is this a "green" selling point? I plan on doing 50/50 residential and commercial. Does anyone have any advice, suggestions, experience here? Thank you guys, I look forward to the wisdom!

M4sT3R T3CH

Feb 1, 2009
Topeka
Real Name
Randall Blackwell
Business Location
United States
To be honest I am looking into getting a 4.8 HM CDS for my next truck. I think this one will be my winter cleaning truck. Although I havent heard much about them. I do hear that they are fairly maintnence free. Not too many break downs. Is this information correct?

Currently I am using a Prochem Peak, and IMO this machine is great. I have water temps at 220-230 consistantly while cleaning carpets. I have been very impressed with it so far. That being said I used ACS machines before this and they do ok as long as you run a little giant heater with em. Not to many break downs either, well that is if u service your machine.

ahs

Apr 3, 2011
MS
Real Name
A Palmer
Business Location
United States
You may want to make sure that the exhaust heat exchanger can be bypassed.
Flood extractions will force you to hook up a water supply hose if you can't bypass
the exhaust. Most machines discharge hot water to the recovery tank allowing cool
water into the exchanger to control excessive heat.
Your recovery tank fills quickly. Your water temp control system gets a workout.
Hot water bypass valves are expensive. Sold a machine because of this design.

AvidCare

Sep 25, 2011
Kansas
Real Name
Patrick McAnulla
Business Location
United States
I ran a HM 4.8 Salsa for 6 years and I can tell you from experience that this is an awsome machine. Low Maintenance! Make sure you get one with a water softner and keep it charged and you will love it with constant heat of 230 F. When doing flood work you just move a shut off valve and turn off the pump clutch and you are in business. If I had the money I would get another one in a heart beat, Dang divorce ruined my credit!!! If you do get one the only thing I would suggest is getting an electric fan run by remote thermastat. I put duals on mine after 4 years due to the hot Kansas weather. You can do it yourself with O'Reily Auto Parts stuff for less than 150.00 and it keeps the van within correct opperating temps on those hot days with no wind.

Tron

Aug 3, 2010
Business Location
United States
I run a Clean-co, i think its much like the unit your talking about. Its great. the exhaust HX is no problem. its just a simple deal no need for bypassing for floods on mine. low maintenance.

I like butlers too. Thats what i was originally looking at first.

Classicboss

Jul 30, 2008
Ithaca, New York
www.classiccarpetcareservice.com
Real Name
Dan Langendoerfer
Business Location
United States
New hydra master 4.8 with salsa I purchased it @ 6months ago I love it so far, I can keep the doors closed on cold winter days and also when its raining or snowing, You will want to get the extended van you will love the extra room! The hydra cradle is cool too. Keep in mind that your fuel consumption may be more than a slide in...Even though they tell you it's 1.5 gallons per hour usage I don't believe it, I still need to track that. No problem producing good heat.

CptCleanup

Aug 31, 2010
CT
Real Name
Calvin Yoran
Business Location
United States
We run both the HM 4.8 salsa and the upgraded Butler unit. The HM has amazing heat and does nto require a fresh water hose for water extraction. The Butler is a great machine however it takes up a lot of sapce and even with the space modifications we have done it doesnt leave much room. The HM however provides a very small footprint which is invaluable IMO.

Gymee

Banned
Apr 4, 2007
Mn
Real Name
Jesus
Business Location
United States
I run a cleanco and it's very similar in operation.

But if I were you I would pick the machine that offers local support.

If you have a local supplier or one nearby that sells the machine THAT is the one to buy.

As far as I know I'm the only one running a cleanco in my area.

And there have been a few times where I've had to call the main office in canada to talk to Jeff the mechanic.

I'm fortunate enough that I have a local interlink and they work on various makes too.

Butler would be right in the same boat as me as far as support goes..........you have to call them to help you diagnose a problem.

Where if you bought a HD CDS local ......you drive up....and they fix it.