Hiring a new employee | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Hiring a new employee

Frank House

Feb 1, 2016
Real Name
Frank H
I looked at other threads dealing with the same issue. Here is my problem.
Where to you go about getting a new employee?
I have tried many avenues with no results.
I have applicants come in, than never show up to there interview.
We pay well and have benefits and uniforms.
what gives?
What would you do to get the work out that your hiring?

Yes i do understand that the new workers done work as well as we would like to. Cell phones Facebook and just lazy. I just need applicants to start there first day.

Thanks to who try to help with this.

The question again
What do you do to get new employees?

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
The big online job services - Indeed, Monster, etc - are very popular around here. We also have one large and several small colleges in town, so they are very easy to target for seasonal or PT help.

Some of my guys still use the newspaper classifieds... because a fellow reading the classifieds is less likely to be into instant gratification and is more of a long-term old-school kind of guy.

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
Friends, other employees, craigslist, employment sites.

You're now competing with the government and their hand outs and soon to be $15 minimum wage.

Frank House

Feb 1, 2016
Real Name
Frank H
Friends, other employees, craigslist, employment sites.

You're now competing with the government and their hand outs and soon to be $15 minimum wage.
I was actually told that by many people. I've also had some people come in and fill out and application and stated they don't want a job. That by showing there looking and filling out an application it makes the governments benefits last longer.

Frank House

Feb 1, 2016
Real Name
Frank H
currently using
indeed
monster
local papers
flyers at schools

not using
craigs list as you pay to post jobs now

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
I was actually told that by many people. I've also had some people come in and fill out and application and stated they don't want a job. That by showing there looking and filling out an application it makes the governments benefits last longer.
Yes it's how they get to stay on unemployment 'benefits'. They need to show proof that they are looking for a job. You also have to guard yourself with new hires wanting to get 2 quarters of work in so they can get fired and go back on the dole.

Interviewing should be used to turn over many stones before hiring.

I don't know how much you're paying, but it's pretty sicking people can stay home and make more money doing nothing then what they could earning a honest living. I believe it's going to get worse when the government starts mandating $15/hour.

Anyway, keep your head up and persevere. There's good people out there that want to work.

A Cleaner Approach

Jun 21, 2014
Northwest Arkansas
www.acleanerapproach.com
Real Name
Tim McCullough
Business Location
United States
It's a tough process hiring new people. I have had the same struggles with hiring as my business grows. I have actually done pretty good with Craigslist. I have posted on Facebook (we have several "job search" pages in the area). The Facebook pages seem to be loaded with the worst of the worst people though. Young kids full of questions as if they are interviewing me instead of the other way around. To anyone who shows interest, I have them give me their email address. I then send them about 10 statements about the job (ex: pay rate, hours, etc..) and also some "pre-interview" questions. This way they send me some information back before I ever let them come to fill out an actual application or interview. Still I have people not show up. Or worse yet they show up and go take their drug screen & background check only to fail. At $60 I hate that worst of all.

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
I looked at other threads dealing with the same issue. Here is my problem.
Where to you go about getting a new employee?
I have tried many avenues with no results.
I have applicants come in, than never show up to there interview.
We pay well and have benefits and uniforms.
what gives?
What would you do to get the work out that your hiring?

Yes i do understand that the new workers done work as well as we would like to. Cell phones Facebook and just lazy. I just need applicants to start there first day.

Thanks to who try to help with this.

The question again
What do you do to get new employees?
go to your local fire department and see if a few guys want to fill up your schedule for the week each week,,,, I have a group of firemen that we use to fill in on Fridays and weekend jobs that we cant get too and they always show up and they get the job done...

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
go to your local fire department and see if a few guys want to fill up your schedule for the week each week,,,, I have a group of firemen that we use to fill in on Fridays and weekend jobs that we cant get too and they always show up and they get the job done...
That's a good idea

Frank House

Feb 1, 2016
Real Name
Frank H
How does indeed work for you? I was just told to try that myself.
Well it was easy to set up and use. Just keep clicking free and don't pay for the posting.
But on indeed I have 38 people showed interest and only two came in to fill out application. Both of those people never showed for the interview. This is where i was told that even showing interest on indeed counts as "looking" Thus benefits extended. I'm willing to pay 16 an hour for no experience. I think that's more than fair. With experience the rate would vary.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
I had only 5 or 6 full-time employees but as many as 35 part-time employees when there were larger fire or flood projects. Most of the fo0lks I hired co0uld choose their own schedule or where on call when needed for floods, fire, and such.

Where I found employees, moastly before social media -
  • Relatives
  • Friends and acquaintenances, especially those who attended same religious services and I knew something about their character
  • Fire department which had a 48 hour on and 48 hour off schedule
  • Local college bulletin board
  • Most importantly, especially for full-time, always looking. If I got good service at a restaurant or other business, I would hand employee a card and tell them a little bit about the business. Asked them to call me if they were very thinking of changing jobs. Hire the attitude. You can always train the job skills. Don't wait until you need an employee to start looking.

BayouCitySteam

Aug 16, 2016
Houston Texas
www.bayoucitysteam.com
Real Name
Mark Croudy Jr.
Business Location
United States
When I was in hospitality development, I passed out TONS of cards and got a decent response from service people that wow you.
Any time you are at a restaurant, oil change shop, coffee shop, etc. give a worker that made a positive impact, hand them a card and tell them you are looking to fill some days. If someone is working in what would normally be considered part time, then those people are always looking for extra money.

Sent from my iPad using TMF Forums