High Rise Work With Truckmount? What's the Highest you've ever gone? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

High Rise Work With Truckmount? What's the Highest you've ever gone?

ronman

Jan 18, 2011
Real Name
Ron
Business Location
United States
Truckmount only.
I've got a job I've been doing for several years, 33 floor high rise, all hallways.
I've been doing it with my recoil, or speedster, carrying all water to and from the basement.
I just got a tm, with a Prochem Legend, and I'm wondering if the cat pump can push the water that high.
330 feet straight up.
Then another 200 feet to the furthest end of the hall.
I plan to use a vac booster on the floor, so I'm pretty sure suction won't be an issue.
I researched the cat pump specs, but no mention of the head ratings. (That's the rating as to how high a pump will push the liquid)
Any experience here?
Thanks in advance!
Ron

EverythingFlooring

Mar 28, 2014
I've gone as high as 9th floor.(then 250' on the floor) You wanna drop the hoses down rather than dragging them up. Took me a few times to learn that...I usually plan for an hour of set up when going that high.

I'd guess 330'+ is probably too much for pump.

Wec

Jul 31, 2012
Real Name
dustin denton
If it's Comercial carpet do it all with a cimex it will look cleaner and stay cleaner longer than HWE

The only time we use the zipper or trex is nurseries and
every 4 to 12 times after we encap a greasy restaurant
And even the restaurant we are going longer between HWE than before with great results

We do a tag agency every month with lots of traffic and when we use the truckmount it all ways looks more dirty than when we just use the cimex even after just a few days

Reactions: ronman

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
I agree on the encap.

I don't think the cat pump would have any problems pushing the water up for you.

I have cleaned as high as the 8th floor with my truckmount, here is a video of a cleaning I did last year on the 6th floor

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
9th floor and it was a bit....wait till your hose hook comes loose and the hose shooting out the window about yanks you off your feel lol

Joey J.

Jun 18, 2008
Fl
10th floor for me but it's got to be a good size job for the hassle of dealing with all that hose becomes less than the hassle of a portable.

VLM is a good option if they will allow it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

ColoradoCleaner

Dec 31, 2010
Denver, CO
www.magicwandcolorado.com
Real Name
Kevin M
Business Location
United States
The pump will definitely push it that high but even if you lost some pressure you could bump it up a little bit. Vacuum shouldn't be an issue because the machine is straight down. But I think that's kinda crazy to be going up 33 stories. I've done 6 floors by myself and that was a pain.

I'd use my cimex.

ronman

Jan 18, 2011
Real Name
Ron
Business Location
United States
Wow, too many replies to quote individually, but let me put the Cimex opinions to sleep first.
I own a cimex, and I love it, and I used to do this building alternately with a cimex and then with my Recoil.
Personally don't buy the encap theory, and I followed the cimex with a 175 with a bonnet.
It did a satisfactory job, but the building contacted the manufacturer, who told them to use HWE only.
Personally, I didn't think the cimex with bonnet saved any time, and I don't believe it removes much dirt.
This job is 60,000 square feet, an acre and a half of carpet, and I can drop the hoses straight down the center of the stairwell,between the rail and steps, and leave them there till the job is finished, so it makes sense from a logistics perspective. It's inside, secure and literally a straight shot down. Couldn't ask for a sweeter setup.
I know the building like a second home. lol
I've spent months in there, carrying buckets of water to and from the basement.
I guess I'll have to call Cat Pumps, and see what the Head specs are on that pump.
I kinda figured no one has ever attempted such a task, since it normally doesn't make sense, but thought I'd ask anyway.
Thanks everyone for your feedback!! :) Ron

ColoradoCleaner

Dec 31, 2010
Denver, CO
Real Name
Kevin M
Business Location
United States
Wow, too many replies to quote individually, but let me put the Cimex opinions to sleep first.
I own a cimex, and I love it, and I used to do this building alternately with a cimex and then with my Recoil.
Personally don't buy the encap theory, and I followed the cimex with a 175 with a bonnet.
It did a satisfactory job, but the building contacted the manufacturer, who told them to use HWE only.
Personally, I didn't think the cimex with bonnet saved any time, and I don't believe it removes much dirt.
This job is 60,000 square feet, an acre and a half of carpet, and I can drop the hoses straight down the center of the stairwell,between the rail and steps, and leave them there till the job is finished, so it makes sense from a logistics perspective. It's inside, secure and literally a straight shot down. Couldn't ask for a sweeter setup.
I guess I'll have to call Cat Pumps, and see what the Head specs are on that pump.
I kinda figured no one has ever attempted such a task, since it normally doesn't make sense, but thought I'd ask anyway.
I just did a google search and it says for each foot of water height you lose approximately 0.434 psi. So if it's 330 feet up, that's a loss of 143 psi. So it's easy to just bump the pressure up a little higher at the machine to get the normal pressure at the height of the job.

I don't think vacuum would be a problem...

crash1big

Mar 18, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Marlan Brown
Business Location
United States
If you know what the volume of water is for a 1/4 inch round 330 feet long; you'll know what it weighs.
.125 squared x 3.14 x 330 = 16.19 cubic inches. there are 213 cubic inches in a gallon, or 1/13th of a gallon. 8.3 divided by 13= .6 pounds. A little over half a pound of water going straight up. Did I do the math right?
Cat pump should have no problem I'm thinking. I'd tie off the hoses about every 100 feet though. :)

ColoradoCleaner

Dec 31, 2010
Denver, CO
Real Name
Kevin M
Business Location
United States
If you know what the volume of water is for a 1/4 inch round 330 feet long; you'll know what it weighs.
.125 squared x 3.14 x 330 = 16.19 cubic inches. there are 213 cubic inches in a gallon, or 1/13th of a gallon. 8.3 divided by 13= .6 pounds. A little over half a pound of water going straight up. Did I do the math right?
Cat pump should have no problem I'm thinking. I'd tie off the hoses about every 100 feet though. :)
I was just thinking that. Imagine if a cuff came apart at the top and you had 330+ feet of hose come crashing down 33 floors in the stairwell!!

crash1big

Mar 18, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Marlan Brown
Business Location
United States
I was just thinking that. Imagine if a cuff came apart at the top and you had 330+ feet of hose come crashing down 33 floors in the stairwell!!
EEEK!:eek::eek:

ColoradoCleaner

Dec 31, 2010
Denver, CO
Real Name
Kevin M
Business Location
United States
Your math is a little off... it's actually .125^2 x 3.14 x 12 x 330. You calculated for 330 inches, not feet. So it's 194 cubic inches of water which comes out to .83 gallons which is about 7 lbs of water.

crash1big

Mar 18, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Marlan Brown
Business Location
United States
Your math is a little off... it's actually .125^2 x 3.14 x 12 x 330. You calculated for 330 inches, not feet. So it's 194 cubic inches of water which comes out to .83 gallons which is about 7 lbs of water.
lol. Very good. Seemed like I was missing something.:confused:

LookNGood

Mar 17, 2014
Real Name
Joe P
I think you should get a walking extractor. Like the steamin daemon? I think that's what it is that I have been seeing

ronman

Jan 18, 2011
Real Name
Ron
Business Location
United States
Seems like
Seems like there would be more than .83 gallons of water in 330 feet of hose, but maybe not.
I wondered why the hot water got to the wand so fast on startup, even tho its running thru 150' of hose.
Interesting math guys. :)

russrroberts

Jan 30, 2014
Prescott, AZ
www.steamnfresh.com
Real Name
Russell
Business Location
United States
Use 100' of 2.5" hose @ronman and you'll have all the vac you could ever need. I did a 450' run with my 370 and had 100' of 2.5" we had a drop in heat but the vac was on point and I could add more 2" hose but it wasn't necessary.

ronman

Jan 18, 2011
Real Name
Ron
Business Location
United States
Use 100' of 2.5" hose @ronman and you'll have all the vac you could ever need. I did a 450' run with my 370 and had 100' of 2.5" we had a drop in heat but the vac was on point and I could add more 2" hose but it wasn't necessary.
Now this is the kind of experience I was hoping to find.
What machine do you have, but more important, what blower?
My machine has a number 3 Sutor GD blower.
I wasn't worried about suction, because I could put my airhog on the floor, in series with the tm, and achieve at least as good suction as the porty I've been using.
But it's nice to know how 450' worked for someone.