Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Hi. I am Rob Allen. I cleaned carpets full-time for 37 years and now only go out to film or test products. After losing my job as a Kirby repairman (I never was a door to door salesman), however since I was about to lose my home I went door to door and offered to repair neighbors vacuum cleaners when someone asked me to clean their carpets. I did, not very well but I tried my best.

From there I built a solid 5 truck operation and sold it taking 2 years off. I restarted and quickly built again to a 5 truck operation and now cater to high end and have more 5 stars than any company in Va. We now also offer WD, stone and tile cleaning/polishing, pest control and more. I really tried hard to focus on quality rather than quantity. Yes I made a few mistakes along the way but I never gave up. But then something happened.

The internet age hit. At that time I put my cleaning business on cruise control and focused on IT with my son. Morphing from there we have built the only online on demand diverse cleaning school now with certs, a complete chemical line, dvd collection, a forum, FB page and Group, online industry magazine, a growing online store, warehouse, rug spa, local distributorship, strong Youtube free helpful video presence, the only carpet cleaning forum app, on hands boot camp program and I feel I am just getting started at almost 60 years old. Yes, I have made mistakes along the way but I never give up.

I write this to offer you hope that if I can build a successful multi-million dollar business from nothing then so can you. Thankfully we live in a great country where the same opportunity is available to each one of us. The best advice I can offer is this. Create a 5 year plan. Write down your goals. Persevere regardless of the problems that arise. Do the best work you can. Don't be afraid to fail at times. Learn from the failures and appreciate your successes. Good day and good luck to you all. Rob.

PS:I wrote this as many do not know the back story and some even think I had a silver spoon but I did not, to provide motivation for others. Also to illustrate that it was through lot of hard work, dedication, constant re-investing and consistent quality that it came to fruition.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Holy cow that’s some CV your hired. Starting wage is $15.75 an hour
I did work part time at a car wash for 10 an hour during my few years starting out to help get it off the ground. Does that count?

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
My guess is you had them all unionized before your ass got fired LOL
Ha, it was quite an experience to say the least. Couple stories that are eye openers but it all molded me to do what I do now so no complaints.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Well I must admit I went to the link thinking it was a positive mental attitude talk. Instead it was a walk down memory Lane listening to those guys.

Reactions: Jim Davisson

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Well I must admit I went to the link thinking it was a positive mental attitude talk. Instead it was a walk down memory Lane listening to those guys.
Life as a cleaner as so many stages, once you elevate from the norm you find out what your mentors were really trying to teach you... Sometimes the noise just drowned it out.

Reactions: rob allen

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
I had a technician at Oxi who was constantly envious of the homes we cleaned in. Keep in mind the guy was only 25. I asked him, "So how old are these people that own these homes?" "Usually fifties or older he said"

I said, "Ok, so they've worked their entire lives, earned their keep and now have a nice home. What's your problem? You're just starting out"

Unfortunately my words fell on deaf ears. Rob makes a great point, nobody ever sees the shit successful people went through to get where they are.

Some people go through shit and still don't find success, but one thing is 100%, if you give up you certainly won't have a chance at success.

FYI Rob I've been inspired to start my own company and get to 5 trucks within 3 years!

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
I was 13 years old when working for a student work program that was just basically a day labour job. I was hired by a guy who took me to his “summer home” on a lake to dig flower beds. The house was larger than the school I sometimes attended.
He could see the size of my eyes when he drove into the yard looking at this massive house.
To this day I can still recall what he said to me. “Work hard and someday you can have one just like this”
I took that to hart, obvious almost 40 years later and I can still hear him say that . I believed what he said and proved it. The only thing he forgot to tell me was how many mistakes I would make along the way and how much luck I would need. But the prof of it all is a guy that never finished grade nine and could barely read or write when he left high school. Could cross that finish line.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I was 13 years old when working for a student work program that was just basically a day labour job. I was hired by a guy who took me to his “summer home” on a lake to dig flower beds. The house was larger than the school I sometimes attended.
He could see the size of my eyes when he drove into the yard looking at this massive house.
To this day I can still recall what he said to me. “Work hard and someday you can have one just like this”
I took that to hart, obvious almost 40 years later and I can still hear him say that . I believed what he said and proved it. The only thing he forgot to tell me was how many mistakes I would make along the way and how much luck I would need. But the prof of it all is a guy that never finished grade nine and could barely read or write when he left high school. Could cross that finish line.
Great stuff. Sounds like a pretty cool guy.