Hi guys! Bear with me! This is my first post. | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Hi guys! Bear with me! This is my first post.

Tcc.thompson

Jul 6, 2020
Real Name
Brent Thompson
Oh thought he wanted to get started in restoration, sorry new here. I wouldn’t have a clue on franchise for carpet cleaning.

Reactions: Johnny Bravo

John Rockwood

Oct 18, 2012
Oregon
Real Name
John Rockwood
The cheapest buy ins that I know of in this business for franchises is Chem dry and oxy fresh. They also happen to be the most loosely mandated in terms of procedure and generally have the worst reputation and reviews but that's no secret.
If I was ever to go down that route it would have to be Stanley Steemer. I know everybody hates them but they are the most successful franchise out there not to mention the worlds largest cc company. Kind of like buying success in the burger industry is to go with McDonalds.

Hacky-sack

May 22, 2020
Real Name
Andrew Schultz
If I was ever to go down that route it would have to be Stanley Steemer. I know everybody hates them but they are the most successful franchise out there not to mention the worlds largest cc company. Kind of like buying success in the burger industry is to go with McDonalds.
Agree. They have the best brand recognition and yer buying a lot of market potency.

If they ever switch to using better cleaning and drying tools....it would be a bit of a problem for mid to larger size independent companies.

Reactions: John Rockwood

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Then how do you explain Stanley Steemers success in the cc industry.
70 years in business and well done marketing is how.

How do you explain Oxi Fresh success when it's all smoke and mirrors ? Marketing.

What Oxi and Stanley dont tell you is most of their franchisees fail. The successful ones have been around 20+ years.

John Rockwood

Oct 18, 2012
Oregon
Real Name
John Rockwood
70 years in business and well done marketing is how.

How do you explain Oxi Fresh success when it's all smoke and mirrors ? Marketing.

What Oxi and Stanley dont tell you is most of their franchisees fail. The successful ones have been around 20+ years.
You are wrong when you say most of Stanley's franchisees fail. Their success rate is over 87 %. The successful ones have been around a lot longer than 20+ years. I know from first hand knowledge with dealings with numerous franchises and with the international headquarters in Ohio. It just erks me when people post things that have no factual merit just BS. You also said franchising in CC doesn't work well. You sure did miss the boat on that remark.

Reactions: Spazznout

Hacky-sack

May 22, 2020
Real Name
Andrew Schultz
You are wrong when you say most of Stanley's franchisees fail. Their success rate is over 87 %. The successful ones have been around a lot longer than 20+ years. I know from first hand knowledge with dealings with numerous franchises and with the international headquarters in Ohio. It just erks me when people post things that have no factual merit just BS. You also said franchising in CC doesn't work well. You sure did miss the boat on that remark.
Yup. I worked there for a year and a half. They sent me back to Columbus for training when they were grooming me as a manager.

Got a chance to talk to several people and see how that franchise is run from the perspective of some of the big operations.

It was pretty impressive.

Joe cool

Jan 8, 2015
Real Name
Joe
Flood damage is really a small construction company. Replace walls and flooring .

Hacky-sack

May 22, 2020
Real Name
Andrew Schultz
Oxi reminds me of my start.
They are cowboys of carpet cleanings wild west.

Very loosely put together.
Young kids who know how to sell and pretty much use any process that they can turn a profit on.

I came up with a bait and switch company like this. Super high pressure and when we couldn't pull a customers pants down,...we wet and jetted according to the basics of the coupon they got.

It's an effective business model but seems like a dead end as a franchise.

John Rockwood

Oct 18, 2012
Oregon
Real Name
John Rockwood
Yup. I worked there for a year and a half. They sent me back to Columbus for training when they were grooming me as a manager.

Got a chance to talk to several people and see how that franchise is run from the perspective of some of the big operations.

It was pretty impressive.
Me to, 6 years in upper mgmt for a multi state franchise. Made many trips to Columbus to pick up new vans. Attended many seminars and training schools for mgmt. Got to have a few discussions with Jack and Wes Bates. Came very, very close to buying a franchise but didn't This was over 38 years ago. Sometimes I kick my self in the ass about that decision. Got to set up telemarketing operations way back when people didn't mind you calling them. They would send you to one of their corporate owned operations when you purchased a territory to show you how it is done.

John Rockwood

Oct 18, 2012
Oregon
Real Name
John Rockwood
Oxi reminds me of my start.
They are cowboys of carpet cleanings wild west.

Very loosely put together.
Young kids who know how to sell and pretty much use any process that they can turn a profit on.

I came up with a bait and switch company like this. Super high pressure and when we couldn't pull a customers pants down,...we wet and jetted according to the basics of the coupon they got.

It's an effective business model but seems like a dead end as a franchise.

Sounds similar to Chem-Dry.

Hacky-sack

May 22, 2020
Real Name
Andrew Schultz
Sounds similar to Chem-Dry.
Me to, 6 years in upper mgmt for a multi state franchise. Made many trips to Columbus to pick up new vans. Attended many seminars and training schools for mgmt. Got to have a few discussions with Jack and Wes Bates. Came very, very close to buying a franchise but didn't This was over 38 years ago. Sometimes I kick my self in the ass about that decision. Got to set up telemarketing operations way back when people didn't mind you calling them. They would send you to one of their corporate owned operations when you purchased a territory to show you how it is done.
You ever get to see any Clipper games?
They're a AAA affiliate of the Yankees

Really nice farm league park. Very fun place to watch a game

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
None of them do. Franchises are designed to make themselves money, not make you money. Only way you make good money in a franchise is with HEAVY volume and a good reputation. Most McDonald's franchisees don't make money unless they own many stores.
Not true on the McDonald's. A friend of a friend owns 2 and they are very very well off.

It depends on the location

I do agree though in the CC industry unless your a big operation your getting raped in the franchise game.

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
How does oxi fresh clean their CRBs in between jobs?

Once we finish scrubbing we pull the brushes in the last room and use the wand to steam the under carriage+ brushes then vac hose it up.

Do they just use multiple CRBs throughout the day and clean them back at the shop?

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
No I am not wrong. I am not mis-informed. Check out the Franchise Disclosure Documents. You will see the fail rates. Every franchise attempts to hide those numbers by using magical numbers but you can always find how many franchises are operating under $50,000 in sales - in other words, they aren't operating at all. Problem is, in the FDD, they just don't come out and say they are CLOSED. Same thing with Oxi Fresh. Over half of them fail.

You also proved my point, the successful ones have been around a LONG time. That was my point - it was much easier to be successful a LONG time ago due to less competition.

Chemdry screwed themselves by offering low moisture cleaning AND making franchisees compete with other franchisees in the SAME markets.

You are only seeing what you WANT to see and not what the factual data reports.

I know the Oxi Fresh franchise intimately and it is a horrible operation. The only people making money is the guys at the top. I ran the largest franchise for Oxi in the United States and I knew first hand what the numbers were.

I also refused to lie to people for them to trick them into joining the franchise. Sure it made SOME money, but not the kind of money you would think.

Reactions: Johnny Bravo

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
How does oxi fresh clean their CRBs in between jobs?

Once we finish scrubbing we pull the brushes in the last room and use the wand to steam the under carriage+ brushes then vac hose it up.

Do they just use multiple CRBs throughout the day and clean them back at the shop?
There is no set method for cleaning them between jobs. The franchise I ran we carried two CRB's per truck. Technicians would also have about 6 sets of brushes. Cleaning the CRB itself they would simply wipe it off and spray a sanitizer on it. Then use a clean set of brushes for the next job.

Brushes were then washed in a washing machine at end of the day and soaked in a sanitizing solution.

Reactions: ACP

John Rockwood

Oct 18, 2012
Oregon
Real Name
John Rockwood
No I am not wrong. I am not mis-informed. Check out the Franchise Disclosure Documents. You will see the fail rates. Every franchise attempts to hide those numbers by using magical numbers but you can always find how many franchises are operating under $50,000 in sales - in other words, they aren't operating at all. Problem is, in the FDD, they just don't come out and say they are CLOSED. Same thing with Oxi Fresh. Over half of them fail.

You also proved my point, the successful ones have been around a LONG time. That was my point - it was much easier to be successful a LONG time ago due to less competition.

Chemdry screwed themselves by offering low moisture cleaning AND making franchisees compete with other franchisees in the SAME markets.

You are only seeing what you WANT to see and not what the factual data reports.

I know the Oxi Fresh franchise intimately and it is a horrible operation. The only people making money is the guys at the top. I ran the largest franchise for Oxi in the United States and I knew first hand what the numbers were.

I also refused to lie to people for them to trick them into joining the franchise. Sure it made SOME money, but not the kind of money you would think.
Please educate me. Show me the FDD you are talking about. I am basing my comments on factual data. Maybe we're not looking at the same reports. Stanley Steemer keeps a tight reign on territories so all the franchises are protected. They have and will shut you down for unethical business practices and encroaching on an others territory. Funny I know some franchises that are less than 2 years old and doing quite well indeed because they are following a proven business plan.

Reactions: Spazznout

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
The closest Stanley to me seems to be expanding, they just moved into a big warehouse and rent here is not cheap... over $3psf/month

They charge $70/room

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Please educate me. Show me the FDD you are talking about. I am basing my comments on factual data. Maybe we're not looking at the same reports. Stanley Steemer keeps a tight reign on territories so all the franchises are protected. They have and will shut you down for unethical business practices and encroaching on an others territory. Funny I know some franchises that are less than 2 years old and doing quite well indeed because they are following a proven business plan.
Well they need to shut the one down in my market then, they hire convicts and been caught with murderers and burglars in their employ.

They wont even do an online Google location because the reviews are so bad.

The FDD is public info, simply look it up.