Hey Carpet Cleaning Veterans!...Total Beginner here! | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Hey Carpet Cleaning Veterans!...Total Beginner here!

cleanbeast

Feb 4, 2020
Real Name
Fabiano Silvestre
Hello all Veterans!
Have been lurking on TMF forums for couple of months -
I've been a general cleaner for a couple of years as a side hustle...but I feel like the time is right to be more serious in my business and expand. I want to get into carpet cleaning and will be taking the IICRC course next month hoping to expand my knowledge...but I am overwhelmed by all the needed equipment(CRB? What hose? Wand VS Rotaries?) and if I truly need a truck mount VS a portable carpet cleaning machine. As I have not even gotten a work van yet, and have a limited budget, where do I start? I'm looking to clean mainly small bedrooms, and apartment hallway/corridor carpets and some small offices just to get myself more hours on the trade...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

TillertheJohn

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
Hello all Veterans!
Have been lurking on TMF forums for couple of months -
I've been a general cleaner for a couple of years as a side hustle...but I feel like the time is right to be more serious in my business and expand. I want to get into carpet cleaning and will be taking the IICRC course next month hoping to expand my knowledge...but I am overwhelmed by all the needed equipment(CRB? What hose? Wand VS Rotaries?) and if I truly need a truck mount VS a portable carpet cleaning machine. As I have not even gotten a work van yet, and have a limited budget, where do I start? I'm looking to clean mainly small bedrooms, and apartment hallway/corridor carpets and some small offices just to get myself more hours on the trade...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Well your in the right spot. You can find many answers here if you search properly.

Starting out on low budget stay away from TM's. Todays portables are pretty powerful and can get you started. Unless you have $10K then buy a reliabuilt TM. Just remember, its $10K for the truckmount, then you need the truck, the tools and chems, the insurance, the marketing, the list goes on....You get the point.

Reactions: OneBlueSummer

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
IICRC is a waste of time as it’s out of date imo and experience. Consider up to date, cutting edge classes that will rocket you past your competitors. You can take it in your own home in your leisure time. You can watch it as much as you like. Consider the experience level of your teacher vs my experience level. Here’s mine;

40 years exp
Built multi-mil bus from scratch
Built on hands school in Va
Still run multi truck company
Started and wrote Clean Informer mag
Started and run largest forum world
Started and run largest FB group
Have complete rug cleaning studio
Created Ride a Longs & DVD’s
Have a pest control co
Have a water damage co
Have a Truckmount line
Have a chemical line
Only carpet cleaning app
Online cleaning store
I’ve helped 1000’s start ups
Largest industry YouTube channel
Do live Q&A Facebooks weekly
Have most 5 stars in state Va
Have most 5 stars online store
Now offer Mentorship
I answer 100’s questions a day via forum, Facebook, phone, texts and private messages.

I do not say the above to brag, just to show you I’m on the cutting edge of cleaning, demo’s, branding, business building, marketing and selling. Most of the teachers at these schools just parrot old regurgitated info imo. Whereas our online classes have 3 parts;

1) 1/3 classroom breaking down processes, methods and selling.

2) 1/3 On hands visuals all types of equip, tools and chemistry.

3) 1/3 Live visual of an actual correlating job with hi quality voice overs explaining the importance of delivering the entire cleaning experience that delivers mind blowing quality and knock your socks off customer service.

Classes are many times tied to big Truckmount and chemical companies who are biased. They work in conjunction and in my opinion get cleaners off on the wrong foot and stuck in an endless cycle of incompetence and inability to grow. All the while being milked by big business and chemical companies. We offer a refreshing and unbiased change in the industry. To many we are a threat. To us, we represent change. Change for the better. Join us and see for yourself. I’ll be there every step of the way to help insure your success and continued growth.

Rob

Reactions: Lars

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
IICRC is a waste of time as it’s out of date imo and experience. Consider up to date, cutting edge classes that will rocket you past your competitors. You can take it in your own home in your leisure time. You can watch it as much as you like. Consider the experience level of your teacher vs my experience level. Here’s mine;

40 years exp
Built multi-mil bus from scratch
Built on hands school in Va
Still run multi truck company
Started and wrote Clean Informer mag
Started and run largest forum world
Started and run largest FB group
Have complete rug cleaning studio
Created Ride a Longs & DVD’s
Have a pest control co
Have a water damage co
Have a Truckmount line
Have a chemical line
Only carpet cleaning app
Online cleaning store
I’ve helped 1000’s start ups
Largest industry YouTube channel
Do live Q&A Facebooks weekly
Have most 5 stars in state Va
Have most 5 stars online store
Now offer Mentorship
I answer 100’s questions a day via forum, Facebook, phone, texts and private messages.

I do not say the above to brag, just to show you I’m on the cutting edge of cleaning, demo’s, branding, business building, marketing and selling. Most of the teachers at these schools just parrot old regurgitated info imo. Whereas our online classes have 3 parts;

1) 1/3 classroom breaking down processes, methods and selling.

2) 1/3 On hands visuals all types of equip, tools and chemistry.

3) 1/3 Live visual of an actual correlating job with hi quality voice overs explaining the importance of delivering the entire cleaning experience that delivers mind blowing quality and knock your socks off customer service.

Classes are many times tied to big Truckmount and chemical companies who are biased. They work in conjunction and in my opinion get cleaners off on the wrong foot and stuck in an endless cycle of incompetence and inability to grow. All the while being milked by big business and chemical companies. We offer a refreshing and unbiased change in the industry. To many we are a threat. To us, we represent change. Change for the better. Join us and see for yourself. I’ll be there every step of the way to help insure your success and continued growth.

Rob

Although I’ve never taken Rob’s classes I’d have to agree. If I could turn back the clock I’d for go the IICRC classes and look for some sort of more practical training. Technical training on how to clean and what chemicals imo make far more logic. Starting on with how a carpet is made is nice but low on the how to clean scale.

Kxp

Nov 28, 2017
Real Name
Kenneth Pena
I would get with rob and he can get you pointed in the right direction. There is no other place in my opinion that’s a one stop shop.

Reactions: PistolPete

cleanbeast

Feb 4, 2020
Real Name
Fabiano Silvestre
Thanks everybody,
IICRC offers a certificate, im not sure how heavy that weighs in the industry...

@Rob Thanks for all the information,
Which one should i start with?

Thanks for all the replies!!

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
it is very important that you interact with as many veteran carpet cleaners as possible.....
just 1 or 2 wise tips can save 1000s of $$$$.

I actually enjoyed my IICRC classes...i have 4-5 certifications.

Not because of the information but because of the contacts I made...still keep in touch with 1 of the guys 20 years later.
Talking to 10-20 carpet cleaners and veterans over a 2-3 day period is priceless.

Rob's online teaching is probably one of the best in the industry....just dont let that substitute for hands on experience with local carpet cleaners.

I would consider doing both to decide if you really have the $$$ and patience to get into this business.

Jesus in the Bible says "count the cost"

Call some local carpet cleaners within 100 miles and ask the ends and outs of getting into carpet cleaning....most are very helpful.

TillertheJohn

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
it is very important that you interact with as many veteran carpet cleaners as possible.....
just 1 or 2 wise tips can save 1000s of $$$$.

I actually enjoyed my IICRC classes...i have 4-5 certifications.

Not because of the information but because of the contacts I made...still keep in touch with 1 of the guys 20 years later.
Talking to 10-20 carpet cleaners and veterans over a 2-3 day period is priceless.

Rob's online teaching is probably one of the best in the industry....just dont let that substitute for hands on experience with local carpet cleaners.

I would consider doing both to decide if you really have the $$$ and patience to get into this business.

Jesus in the Bible says "count the cost"

Call some local carpet cleaners within 100 miles and ask the ends and outs of getting into carpet cleaning....most are very helpful.
I have heard that a lot about the contacts at the IICRC class. And Im not disputing that.

For me, the IICRC was a good introduction bc I didn't know Sh!t about carpet or the industry.... but almost my whole class was literally water damage restoration guys there to get the carpet certification or recertification for there employer.

• Haha
Reactions: OneBlueSummer

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
Thanks everybody,
IICRC offers a certificate, im not sure how heavy that weighs in the industry...

Make out a business plan answer these questions:
1. part time or Full time
2. What gross income is reasonable the first 3 years
for part time and full time.
3. Buy a used TM business or a used TM.
4. How long do you plan on working the business - 10 year minimum -imo
5. What net income do you plan on making the first 3 years.
6. What marketing strategies will you use to get business if you dont buyout someone.
7. Which of these will you target:(all or some)
Homes - takes 3-5 years to build up clients
rentals - TM is best but can use portable with 175 scrubber
resturaunts - TM only
hotels and apt. - Tm or portable will work
commercial - best to have TM

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Thanks everybody,

It carries 0 weight. The paper actually weighs more.

Start with the carpet cleaning HWE class. Message me for my cell after and let’s discuss your goals, skill sets and create a direction to move in that is most beneficial for you. I won’t let you down.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
Id suggest a ride along with someone here. where are you located?