Here's some carpet facts to spook your customer into getting them cleaned

Ryankettering

Jan 9, 2013
Real Name
Ryan kettering
http://facts.randomhistory.com/2009/08/03_carpet.html

Here's my favorites from this list of 50:
(not necessarily in this order)

• Scientists believe that more than 43 million tons of dust falls over the U.S. every year. Indoor air usually contains about twice as much dust as the air outside. That’s a million microscopic particles in a cubic inch of air. About 2,000 dust mites can live happily on one ounce of carpet dust
  • Studies at Anderson Labs, international experts report that mice have dropped dead after breathing some new carpet fumes.
  • All carpet should be professionally cleaned a minimum of every 12 to 18 months.
  • A person sheds about 1.5 million skin flakes an hour, most of which becomes embedded in our carpets.
  • When properly cleaned and maintained, carpeting may improve the quality of air through trapping allergy-inducing dust and allergens. Most people, however, do not clean their carpets correctly, which can actually exacerbate allergies.
  • Early Hoover vacuum cleaners were hard to sell because potential customers refused to believe (and were even insulted by the suggestion) that they could have that much dirt in their carpets.
  • The five-second rule is a myth: bacteria can live after four weeks on carpet. And, thanks to “microbial adhesion,” germs such as the following are immediately transferred to food: Salmonella typhimurium, Campylobacter, and Salmonella enteritis, a nasty bacterium that causes horrible diarrhea and vomiting.

Reactions: Mrs.SpeedySteamer

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Want to know the biggest myths I've run into that keeps people from cleaning their carpets until their so bad they can't stand it anymore?

1. Carpet cleaning causes the carpet to wear out faster and get dirty faster. Old wives tale mostly, but still believed by many people and perpetuated by word of mouth. Mom to daughter, friend to friend. I personally think this myth was caused mainly by when shampooing the carpets caused those very issues. Advances in cleaning chemicals and equipment have virtually eliminated these concerns when used properly.
2. Carpet cleaning causes mold. Possible this has some merit caused by cleaners using poor equipment and methods to clean that leave the carpet wet for 2 or even 3 days.
3. You should only uses products like Host or similar to clean your carpets. I've run into this quite a lot and it is almost solely perpetuated by carpet retailers. These are the people who sell the carpet, but have no clue of how to maintain it.

I've found trying to scare your customers into carpet cleaning just hasn't worked for me and I don't do it. I do use information like the 12 to 18 months recommended by almost all carpet manufacturers. I also tell people that if they have heavy traffic, kids or pets, they need even more frequent cleaning.

Tron

Aug 3, 2010
Business Location
United States
Lol, mice have dropped dead after smelling new carpet!!!!!

Classic!

But yet my dad (the biggest rat of them all) jk, has smelled it his entire life and still chasin that cheese! Lmao

Bill Yeadon

Preferred Vendor
Aug 29, 2008
Indianapolis IN
https
Real Name
Bill Yeadon
There is a long story involved with the mice and the lady that ran Anderson Labs was selling junk science. The mice Swiss Webster mice ( 50.00) a piece were placed in harnesses around their necks and exposed to air blowing across the carpet. It made for great TV but they later found out that the mice were strangling themselves. This was a huge deal in the early nineties.

This all led to testing of carpet. The culprit was part of latex that was referred to as 4PC. Even though there was not enough to ever cause any harm to anyone person or animal the carpet industry voluntarily reduced it significantly. This was the beginning of the CRI Green Label program. I am sure Torrey's dad remembers the big uproar. At least 40 lawsuits were field against the industry and the mills won everyone.

Findings actually show that carpet is the least harmful of any home material. You just have to clean the stuff. And one last thing there has been no formaldehyde in carpet for over 20 years.

Mother Hubbard

Jan 12, 2013
Real Name
Shawn
I do tell the customer if I see that they have a new born or infant to never allow the baby to fall asleep and have their face's directly on the carpets because of the crap that is in carpets and possible off gassing. I was told that respitory problems can occur in a CC class that I took not sure if it is totally true but why take the chance.

Bill Yeadon

Preferred Vendor
Aug 29, 2008
Indianapolis IN
https
Real Name
Bill Yeadon
I would say that falling asleep on upholstery is worse as it is never vacuumed and seldom cleaned. We wash carpet for the same reason we wash our clothes. As for off gassing that is released quickly following installation.

If installers install per standards the they should allow the carpet to acclimate for 48hours (unrolled) in similar conditions to where it will be installed.

Mikey34

Sep 23, 2011
va
Real Name
mike Parkinson
Business Location
United States
I would say that falling asleep on upholstery is worse as it is never vacuumed and seldom cleaned. We wash carpet for the same reason we wash our clothes. As for off gassing that is released quickly following installation.

If installers install per standards the they should allow the carpet to acclimate for 48hours (unrolled) in similar conditions to where it will be installed.

Yeah right....