Here's one I never heard before... | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Here's one I never heard before...

Jose Holguin

Premium VIP
Oct 20, 2012
Vail, CO
Real Name
Jose Holguin
Business Location
United States
Here's my philosophy, 50-100 years from now, the overall majority of working Americans will be freelancers, we'll make our own schedule, we'll only take on the projects that we wanna work on. The 40 hour work week will be long gone, we're already seeing this in younger generations, millennials.

So why not expedite this process and make two part positions out of a full time position? This is only bound to get worse guys, don't work against it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike Krall

Debi69

Sep 16, 2016
Real Name
Debi Tucker
Here's my philosophy, 50-100 years from now, the overall majority of working Americans will be freelancers, we'll make our own schedule, we'll only take on the projects that we wanna work on. The 40 hour work week will be long gone, we're already seeing this in younger generations, millennials.

So why not expedite this process and make a full time position, two part positions? This is only bound to get worse guys, don't work against it.
Ooooo can I work Tuesday through Thursday??? I'll even work through lunch those days??? One can dream :)

Reactions: aloha one

Jose Holguin

Premium VIP
Oct 20, 2012
Vail, CO
Real Name
Jose Holguin
Business Location
United States
Ooooo can I work Tuesday through Thursday??? I'll even work through lunch those days??? One can dream :)
It's coming Debi, it's coming. Of course old timers fight it but wouldn't that be nice? We started businesses so that one day we can achieve freedom, millennials will avoid it so that they can continue to have it...

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall

So why not expedite this process and make two part positions out of a full time position? This is only bound to get worse guys, don't work against it.
But it's only going to be possible because governments will have to hand out monthly stipends to its citizens. I think Sweden has already started this or it's in the works.

The problem with part time help is it costs more than full time, you need more of it and it's more headaches to deal with. I'd love to convert 5 part timers into 2 full times with a floater.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Full time employees tend to be more reliable, more consistent, and more dedicated since they're totally dependent on that paycheck. Part-timers tend to be less reliable, call out or don't show more often, and generally are more prone to not give a fig.

(Notice this is STRICTLY a generalization, there will always be exceptions. A notable exception is PT retirees, who more often than not work rings around FT guys half their age because that's the ethic that was drilled into them. Hoo-ah.)

PT people can be hired at a much lower wage than FT... but also offer much less as far as personal commitment to the business and desire to advance. So most managers over time tend to prefer FT over PT because of the quality of work given despite the higher price tag - in other words, better ROI.

Nowhere else in business is the axiom "you get what you pay for" more clearly defined than in your workforce.

aloha one

Scrub a DUB DUB!
Feb 17, 2009
California
Real Name
Dave Moonan
Business Location
United States
Full time employees tend to be more reliable, more consistent, and more dedicated since they're totally dependent on that paycheck. Part-timers tend to be less reliable, call out or don't show more often, and generally are more prone to not give a fig.

(Notice this is STRICTLY a generalization, there will always be exceptions. A notable exception is PT retirees, who more often than not work rings around FT guys half their age because that's the ethic that was drilled into them. Hoo-ah.)

PT people can be hired at a much lower wage than FT... but also offer much less as far as personal commitment to the business and desire to advance. So most managers over time tend to prefer FT over PT because of the quality of work given despite the higher price tag - in other words, better ROI.

Nowhere else in business is the axiom "you get what you pay for" more clearly defined than in your workforce.
Off subject...Thank You soooo much for the card Lady Amy...really do appreciate it!

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Good to see you active young man. I had fun with my colored markers on that logo, lol, I bet the wimmins in your area love it when your trucks show up! :p

Reactions: aloha one

aloha one

Scrub a DUB DUB!
Feb 17, 2009
California
Real Name
Dave Moonan
Business Location
United States
Amen to ALL of the above . Time to make the change in employee handbook . " No employee from this date forward shall miss more than 5 days unexcused in any calendar year ."
Disciplinary action up to and including discharge shall follow .
Have each employee sign off and make it stick !! Missing 22 days in less than a year of employment is rediculous unless the employee was in the hospital .
All the Best, Ed
Especially when he was only scheduled to work 23 days!

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall

That's a really great post that hits the mark on every point. From my own personal experience it's how full time vrs part time workers pan out. The full time ones are always willing to work later too, the part time ones basically give you the finger.

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
That's a really great post that hits the mark on every point. From my own personal experience it's how full time vrs part time workers pan out. The full time ones are always willing to work later too, the part time ones basically give you the finger.
I'm waiting for @rob allen to develope a carpet cleaning robot that can run op and hwe

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
I'm waiting for @rob allen to develope a carpet cleaning robot that can run op and hwe
I went to bid on a new account this week and the owner was showing me around. He had one of those motorized I guess skate boards near his desk and so I asked him what he used that for. He said since the cleaners quit 2 months ago he uses that to dustmop and mop the place :D

So robots are here!

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
I ran restaurants for years and p/t employees usually had their loyalties elsewhere. If you're the 'other or 2nd' job then good luck. I got the best mileage out of full time people whose livelyhood was based upon that job.
Also weed out the losers quickly and when you find a keeper (1 out of 20 average in my experience) then take really good care of them.

Sent from my EVO using TMF Forums mobile app

Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
I went to bid on a new account this week and the owner was showing me around. He had one of those motorized I guess skate boards near his desk and so I asked him what he used that for. He said since the cleaners quit 2 months ago he uses that to dustmop and mop the place :D

So robots are here!
Did you give 2 bids? One with the regular price and another one if you can use the skateboard?

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
Did you give 2 bids? One with the regular price and another one if you can use the skateboard?
Man that's some solid advice. I haven't submitted yet, but me, a autoscrubber and electric skateboard will have that place done in 30 minutes. The other 2 hours I was figuring will probably be spent in the ER :D

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall

So can you talk about the future Jose or is that a trade secret.

Jose Holguin

Premium VIP
Oct 20, 2012
Vail, CO
Real Name
Jose Holguin
Business Location
United States
So can you talk about the future Jose or is that a trade secret.
Lol I can certainly talk about the future, that's where we'll spend most of our time anyways.

Most billionaires have one thing in common, they figure out the future a couple of years before the rest of us and execute on it.

I would like to figure out how to make 24 hour days into 48 hour days right now, think I would make a killing...

Jose Holguin

Premium VIP
Oct 20, 2012
Vail, CO
Real Name
Jose Holguin
Business Location
United States
I ran restaurants for years and p/t employees usually had their loyalties elsewhere. If you're the 'other or 2nd' job then good luck. I got the best mileage out of full time people whose livelyhood was based upon that job.
Also weed out the losers quickly and when you find a keeper (1 out of 20 average in my experience) then take really good care of them.

Sent from my EVO using TMF Forums mobile app
Not talking about part time employees who already a full time job somewhere else, talking about employees who only wanna work 30 hours a week because of their "lifestyle".

Jose Holguin

Premium VIP
Oct 20, 2012
Vail, CO
Real Name
Jose Holguin
Business Location
United States

I fully agree with all this but that's not where the future is headed.