Here's one I never heard before... | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Here's one I never heard before...

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
Employee gets mad cause he's got to do 'all' the work.

He passes by my supervisor whom I'm on the phone with and mutters, "again she's on her f***ing phone".

She heard it and I heard it.

So I tell her to have him call me.

He calls me a minute later and I ask what's going on with you and your supervisor?

I'm not making this up he's over 50 and balling his eyes out as he's talking to me. I can't understand him so I send him home and will deal with him the next day.

Next day I bring in a write up sheet with his two violations outlined to go over with him and have him sign.

He reads it face turning red. I tell him to relax he's not getting fired but if there's a repeat he is.

So I can't even believe what he says next, "it shouldn't count because I said that to myself and not her!"

Jose Holguin

Premium VIP
Oct 20, 2012
Vail, CO
Real Name
Jose Holguin
Business Location
United States

He passes by my supervisor whom I'm on the phone with and mutters, "again she's on her f***ing phone".

He calls me a minute later and I ask what's going on with you and your supervisor?

I'm not making this up he's over 50 and balling his eyes out as he's talking to me. I can't understand him so I send him home and will deal with him the next day.

Next day I bring in a write up sheet with his two violations outlined to go over with him and have him sign.

He reads it face turning red. I tell him to relax he's not getting fired but if there's a repeat he is.

So I can't even believe what he says next, "it shouldn't count because I said that to myself and not her!"

Damn liberal...

Mrs.SpeedySteamer

Moderator ~ And Most Awesome Member
Apr 26, 2012
Somewhere over the Rainbow
www.ezdesignmarketing.com
Real Name
Tiffany
Business Location
United States

What was your reply??? I would have probably been caught off with that remark and said something smartass...

Reactions: Mike Krall

awratchford

Jun 9, 2014
So two questions. First are your supervisors specifically supervisor role or working supervisor role? If they are supposed to be working as well then there might potentially be a valid complaint of too much phone usage. Second question. Were there any customers around when this guy made his comment? If not, honestly it's well within his free speech to make a comment, unless your handbook has a clause about vulgar and/or offensive language while in company uniform or on job locations.

Keep in mind I'm not knocking what you did. Your show. Run it how you want. These are just a couple of things that immediately popped into my head

Sent from my SM-G920V using TMF Forums mobile app

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
What was your reply??? I would have probably been caught off with that remark and said something smartass...
It caught me off guard too, but he kept talking which gave me time to think and so I replied, "Once it comes out of your mouth it's no longer said to yourself", "If you want to say something to yourself keep it in your head and your argument is not valid"

And then silence.

Reactions: Mama Fen

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
So two questions. First are your supervisors specifically supervisor role or working supervisor role? If they are supposed to be working as well then there might potentially be a valid complaint of too much phone usage. Second question. Were there any customers around when this guy made his comment? If not, honestly it's well within his free speech to make a comment, unless your handbook has a clause about vulgar and/or offensive language while in company uniform or on job locations.

Keep in mind I'm not knocking what you did. Your show. Run it how you want. These are just a couple of things that immediately popped into my head

Sent from my SM-G920V using TMF Forums mobile app
Working supervisor. I admit to being slightly bias as she's been with me for 7 years and I trust that the phone isn't being abused. He's worked for not quite a year and takes 3 breaks within 3 hours of work (not in my handbook) and has taken 22 days off both sick and personal. Dumb me didn't address personal time in handbook.

No customers around when this happens. Handbook states:

"Sexual harassment to fellow employees, management, and any civilians who are at the job site will not be tolerated on any level. This includes, but not limits, verbal or physical abuse, threats, or suggestive behavior, as well as any form of either of those actions through technology including, but not limited to, sexually themed photographs or videos, constant attempt of contact that is unwanted, and threats."

It also has a clause stating that supervisors, managers, owners are allowed to use phones and all others only in case of emergency or work related issues.

envy

Mar 12, 2015
Real Name
Aaron R
I would not want an employee that was capable of missing 22 days in year. Probably not that many days in 10 years.

Also, I would always absolutely back the supervisor as far as the employees know. Never want to set a precedence of questioning the supervisor. Otherwise you have to deal with it every time they disagree with her. I think you handled it right.

Sent from my iPad using TMF Forums

owenscott

Aug 6, 2009
Friggin Cold Upstate NY
Real Name
Stop snoopin u homo
Business Location
United States
There is NO FREE SPEECH in business.
You should know better than that ?!??
Free speech (amendment) was designed as an express way to tell the govt how to protect our god given rights.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I had an employee yesterday hit an overhang with our box truck. I said "man what the hell"? He quit and said I cussed him. What a sissy generation.

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums

Reactions: Common janitor

vladimir

Apr 3, 2011
palmdale ca.
Real Name
Dennis azenon
Business Location
United States
I would not want an employee that was capable of missing 22 days in year. Probably not that many days in 10 years.

Also, I would always absolutely back the supervisor as far as the employees know. Never want to set a precedence of questioning the supervisor. Otherwise you have to deal with it every time they disagree with her. I think you handled it right.

Lol so true on the days not worked in 17 years at my job I have only missed 1 day due to my little cousins death I am so close on taking my business full time

Common janitor

Apr 5, 2014
Real Name
Ed Feil
Amen to ALL of the above . Time to make the change in employee handbook . " No employee from this date forward shall miss more than 5 days unexcused in any calendar year ."
Disciplinary action up to and including discharge shall follow .
Have each employee sign off and make it stick !! Missing 22 days in less than a year of employment is rediculous unless the employee was in the hospital .
All the Best, Ed

Common janitor

Apr 5, 2014
Real Name
Ed Feil
I had an employee yesterday hit an overhang with our box truck. I said "man what the hell"? He quit and said I cussed him. What a sissy generation.

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums
BIG difference cussing the " situation " ( which is what you were doing Rob ) and getting in his face swearing !! You're good to be rid of him . You have time ,money, heart &soul in your business Rob and employees JUST DON'T GET THIS .
Hope it was an easy fix on the truck and awning !!
All the Best, Ed

Debi69

Sep 16, 2016
Real Name
Debi Tucker
Y'all are killing me, I know it's a pain in the you know what for you to find good help. But these comments are crackin me up, you can't make that up LOL

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall

Honestly he 'found' a loop hole in my handbook. He missed a bunch of days when he first started and he was on the edge of being fired since he could only miss one more. Then he started requesting days off a week a head of time and cause he's an old guy that put in a lot of time somewhere else I let him have it off. My handbook only covers sick and vacation time, nothing on personal days so he got me.

Up until the supervisor incident he's been doing great. Not perfect, but I'm a firm believer in there not being an unlimited supply of workers so I tend to hang on to them longer and try to work with what I have. Unfortunately it takes a while for my kettle to boil so they often get more chances then they should.