www.apcarpetcleaners.com
Premium VIP
Apr 26, 2013
Redding, Ca
Real Name
Damon
Business Location
United States
Dark spots...used stain magic and steamer for five mins.....wth is this discoloring?

Help! Thanks
Be careful with that stuff. If you steam it to much it will pull color out of the carpet. It's hard but you have to have a feel to know when to walk away from a stain.

Reactions: Allied

Allied

Life is good!
Premium VIP
Jun 18, 2013
Down Yonder
Real Name
Simon Bolivar
Business Location
United States

Allied

Life is good!
Premium VIP
Jun 18, 2013
Down Yonder
Real Name
Simon Bolivar
Business Location
United States
The spots were goo from a Creepy Crawler kit...I was successful upstairs with SM...this spot just reacted to it weird.

The whole house was cleaned with 3scoops pl5/3 OGTM/2 oz CS.

Attachments

• 1425502300638.jpg
    1425502300638.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 110

Nomad74

www.apcarpetcleaners.com
Premium VIP
Apr 26, 2013
Redding, Ca
Real Name
Damon
Business Location
United States
I haven't read the entire thread yet, but 5 min with a steamer seems WAY to long. I use a steam iron at 15-20 seconds. But like i said, Stain magic and red-1 will pull color if you over do it.

Reactions: lmullica

Allied

Life is good!
Premium VIP
Jun 18, 2013
Down Yonder
Real Name
Simon Bolivar
Business Location
United States
I was pretty certain that steamer and a oxidixer like StainMagic are a no no. I have certainly removed color doing the same. Heat(steam) works well on the reducer like Red1 or Red Zone Ready
Red...how do you use SM...just spray and pray? Do you just scrub it in? Thanks

redbeard719

Oct 16, 2014
United States
Real Name
Red Beard
Business Location
United States
Im no expert with StainMagic. I did take a class at my local supplier this morning though and CTI was the presenter and it was specifically about their stain line.

When i have used it and the way they demonstrate it is to mix, and either pour lightly or spray on the stain. Minor agitation with like a bone scrapper or equivalent. Blot or extract out and repeat if necessary. They specifically mentioned no heat for this as well as other oxidixers as it causes color loss.

Also, you mentioned that was Creepy crawlers that caused the stain. Stain magic works best on organic / natural type stains more then something synthetic. I would have maybe tried a reducer first like Red1 or RedZone ready with a bit of heat to see it it helped remove the color

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Im no expert with StainMagic. I did take a class at my local supplier this morning though and CTI was the presenter and it was specifically about their stain line.

When i have used it and the way they demonstrate it is to mix, and either pour lightly or spray on the stain. Minor agitation with like a bone scrapper or equivalent. Blot or extract out and repeat if necessary. They specifically mentioned no heat for this as well as other oxidixers as it causes color loss.

Also, you mentioned that was Creepy crawlers that caused the stain. Stain magic works best on organic / natural type stains more then something synthetic. I would have maybe tried a reducer first like Red1 or RedZone ready with a bit of heat to see it it helped remove the color

I think some underestimate how aggressive products like that can be, especially with a steamer or iron. Using it on any nylon carpet and some polyesters is particularly risky.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Betadine, coffee, cool aid! Check!

Seriously though, at this point your best bet is a patch. Not especially hard to do on that type of carpet. Doesn't require a lot of tools which can all be bought locally. It's hard to say if you're at fault on this, because we don't know what happened before you attempted removal. Using Stain Magic with a steamer is risky. I might do it with extreme caution, checking the stain every 10 to 15 seconds. Have some citric acid solution at the ready if you're even going to attempt this. That is what their CSS solution is for. It stops the reaction dead in it's tracks. Nylon is even more risky, equal to wool imho. I think you're better off to allow dwell time to do it's work and to realize there is such a thing as a PERMANENT stain. You can't win em all. Voice of experience here. It is quite possilble someone used something else on the carpet already that could destabilize the dyes. I've seen where customers used things on carpets they weren't supposed to that destabilized the dyes. When I just simply presprayed, no stain removers used, the colors came out COMPLETELY! This was clearly their fault, not mine. I mean, you just don't use MEAN GREEN on a nylon carpet full strength and expect to get away with it!

Here is another one that I know for a fact destabilized the dyes in a fairly new polyester carpet. The customer had used it undiluted on their son's bedroom carpet. Again, just regular cleaning the color came out in every single spot she used it on. http://www.dollartree.com/household...ly-Awesome-Cleaner/500c501c502p8056/index.pro

Hope you can work this out. Maybe Chubby can help. :)

Allied

Life is good!
Premium VIP
Jun 18, 2013
Down Yonder
Real Name
Simon Bolivar
Business Location
United States
Seriously though, at this point your best bet is a patch. Not especially hard to do on that type of carpet. Doesn't require a lot of tools which can all be bought locally. It's hard to say if you're at fault on this, because we don't know what happened before you attempted removal. Using Stain Magic with a steamer is risky. I might do it with extreme caution, checking the stain every 10 to 15 seconds. Have some citric acid solution at the ready if you're even going to attempt this. That is what their CSS solution is for. It stops the reaction dead in it's tracks. Nylon is even more risky, equal to wool imho. I think you're better off to allow dwell time to do it's work and to realize there is such a thing as a PERMANENT stain. You can't win em all. Voice of experience here. It is quite possilble someone used something else on the carpet already that could destabilize the dyes. I've seen where customers used things on carpets they weren't supposed to that destabilized the dyes. When I just simply presprayed, no stain removers used, the colors came out COMPLETELY! This was clearly their fault, not mine. I mean, you just don't use MEAN GREEN on a nylon carpet full strength and expect to get away with it!

Here is another one that I know for a fact destabilized the dyes in a fairly new polyester carpet. The customer had used it undiluted on their son's bedroom carpet. Again, just regular cleaning the color came out in every single spot she used it on. http://www.dollartree.com/household...ly-Awesome-Cleaner/500c501c502p8056/index.pro

Hope you can work this out. Maybe Chubby can help. :)
I hear ya...she was cool with the whole thing...she told me she used some stuff on it when the spill happened three years ago. Thanks

Reactions: Nomad74

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I
Never again...spray and pray only next time.

I wouldn't do it unless the customer is informed as to what could happen and that the end result could require a patch. The most aggressive I'd likely do is either to cover the product with plastic wrap to prolong the dwell time. Some stains WILL come out with an extended dwell time. Sometimes just giving the stain an extra shot before you leave and let it sit till it dries will do the trick.

Reactions: Hawkins and Allied

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I hear ya...she was cool with the whole thing...she told me she used some stuff on it when the spill happened three years ago. Thanks

Most home owners are completely unaware of proper spotting which includes thorough rinsing or neutralizing in many cases. Many of the over the counter stuff may say something like it's "safe for carpets", but leaves a very heavy residue in the carpet. If they were to thoroughly rinse it out it would be unlikely they'd have a future problem. Now leave that residue in their several years, even several hours for that matter. Well, you're VERY likely to have a problem. Btw, many of these over the counter solutions are EXTREMELY difficult to rinse out often requiring special measures to get them out. The Mean Green I mentioned above is a great high ph cleaner. It's strong enough to degrease a car engine. Not a good idea to use it on any carpet, especially undiluted and unrinsed like my customer did.

Reactions: Allied