Help with travertine

Mikey34

Sep 23, 2011
va
Real Name
mike Parkinson
Business Location
United States
Have some travertine that a maid spilled acid on and left little rings.

The problem: customer wants it gone, the solution, or so she thinks is me.

Here's a picture of the stone. I need it to have the dull look, down where my thumb is touching, i tried with a 120 grit on a sander, and that is tooo shiny.

ImageUploadedByTMF Forums1379194011.240499.jpg

It looks just barely honed too me, but I know nothing about polishing stone.

Ted McFadden

Apr 10, 2009
www.sureshinecares.com
Real Name
Ted McFadden
Business Location
United States
Dennis is right, sandpaper will loose its grit and polish the surface if used too long. Use diamonds or a diamond hogs hair pad for a more consistent finish.

Reactions: Bob Loblaw

Ted McFadden

Apr 10, 2009
www.sureshinecares.com
Real Name
Ted McFadden
Business Location
United States
If you can get a hone that is just below the shine of the surrounding area, you can hit it with steel wool dry (#0 or #1) and it will blend.

Mikey34

Sep 23, 2011
va
Real Name
mike Parkinson
Business Location
United States
Yeah am planning on trying very slow speed 600 grit on an orbital palm sander. See where that gets me.

Than I ll try the blend with steel wool.

Nov 12, 2012
Real Name
Dennis Wilson
I would stay away from sandpaper and use diamonds or a diamond impregnated pad. 600 grit sandpaper only stays 600 grit for a very short time. As sandpaper wears the grit gets finer and you wind up with a "polish" much higher than the grit it started at very quickly with a sander like that.

Ted McFadden

Apr 10, 2009
www.sureshinecares.com
Real Name
Ted McFadden
Business Location
United States
I like sandpaper especially on MTL. I never recommend an orbital sander when using it though because it negates all of the things I like about it.

Mikey34

Sep 23, 2011
va
Real Name
mike Parkinson
Business Location
United States
I would stay away from sandpaper and use diamonds or a diamond impregnated pad. 600 grit sandpaper only stays 600 grit for a very short time. As sandpaper wears the grit gets finer and you wind up with a "polish" much higher than the grit it started at very quickly with a sander like that.

Except this is 1 6x6" tile we are speaking about, not really a large project at all.