Help with gunlach sealer | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Help with gunlach sealer

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
Did a tile and grout job last night, commercial restroom. Client just contacted me and said they're leaving footprints on the floor. I used Gundlach sealer, first time. My understanding was you spray it on and you're done. Should I have gone back and wiped off the excess?

I'll be over there shortly and will get some pictures of it.

Dream Clean

Oct 3, 2018
Real Name
Emerson Campbell
I use it but only on grout. I never tried to do the whole tile with the spray can. The way it sprays unless you spread it with a microfiber mop or something it would go on super thick and maybe cause issues like that.

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
I've never had any footprint issues with Gundlach sealer.
On very matte tiles I occasionally get residual on the tile and I flat mop to pick up the residue.

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
Wasn't as bad as it sounded. The floor wasn't sticky and no haze or anything. I cleaned the floor with a very mild mix of neutral cleaner and a white pad, cleaned up just fine. Vacuumed it dry and walked all over it, no footprints. I think maybe it was because they were walking on it 10 hours after I applied the sealer, it hadn't cured all the way yet.

It did a great job, water beads right off the grout. I wasn't so sure about this stuff, the part about not having to wipe it off the surface of the tiles is just very foreign to me. But the floor looks fine.Think it's a keeper.

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
I use it but only on grout. I never tried to do the whole tile with the spray can. The way it sprays unless you spread it with a microfiber mop or something it would go on super thick and maybe cause issues like that.
Wasn't really trying to do the entire floor but 2" tiles with narrow grout lines so I'd say 75% of each tile ended up with some amount of sealer on it, lol!

Reactions: Dream Clean

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Wasn't as bad as it sounded. The floor wasn't sticky and no haze or anything. I cleaned the floor with a very mild mix of neutral cleaner and a white pad, cleaned up just fine. Vacuumed it dry and walked all over it, no footprints. I think maybe it was because they were walking on it 10 hours after I applied the sealer, it hadn't cured all the way yet.

It did a great job, water beads right off the grout. I wasn't so sure about this stuff, the part about not having to wipe it off the surface of the tiles is just very foreign to me. But the floor looks fine.Think it's a keeper.
I haven't really used a whole lot of it, but it's worked well for me. I don't know what happened in your case. Never had that issue. Perhaps you used too much or something. The solvent-based one I always buy dries pretty quick as long as there's some airflow. W/o any good ventilation I could see where it might cause that problem.

Dream Clean

Oct 3, 2018
Real Name
Emerson Campbell
Wasn't really trying to do the entire floor but 2" tiles with narrow grout lines so I'd say 75% of each tile ended up with some amount of sealer on it, lol!
sounds about right! those cans spray real hard. Once I run out though I'm probably going back to gallons and an applicator. What made you want to try this type?

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
sounds about right! those cans spray real hard. Once I run out though I'm probably going back to gallons and an applicator. What made you want to try this type?
I heard some good things, sounded like it would be quicker and easier.

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
I haven't really used a whole lot of it, but it's worked well for me. I don't know what happened in your case. Never had that issue. Perhaps you used too much or something. The solvent-based one I always buy dries pretty quick as long as there's some airflow. W/o any good ventilation I could see where it might cause that problem.
Ventilation may have been an issue. We didn't have a way to leave the door propped open once the floor was sealed. I also thought it could have been something with cure time. I know it's dry to touch after about an hour according to the can but 24 hours to cure. They would have been walking on it about 10 hours after I sealed it. So maybe not being fully cured it caused a problem. After I cleaned it I walked around the store to get the soles of my shoes dusty and then across the bathroom tile and it didn't show any footprints. By that time it would have ad about 24 hours of cure time.

Reactions: wandwizard