PTmatt

Dec 3, 2009
California
www.proteamcarpetcare.com
Real Name
Matt Martinez
Business Location
United States
I'd like to see if I can get some advise on pricing a commercial job that is larger than we're used to doing. My company does mostly residential and I don't have much experience bidding on commercial jobs this size.

The building is 3 floors that has about 25,000 sq ft of carpet total. It is comprised of offices, conference rooms and hallways with CGD carpet tiles on all 3 floors. Other than some spills and light traffic lanes the carpet is in very good condition. We will be responsible for moving chairs, picking up plastic mats, trash cans, etc. I planned on using a combination of HWE and encap. I have 3 large truck mounts and a Rotovac Bonzer we'll use for the HWE. I also have a Whittaker CRB for the encapping. Any input on how to price this per square ft is appreciated!

Matt

LookNGood

Mar 17, 2014
Real Name
Joe P
I'd like to see if I can get some advise on pricing a commercial job that is larger than we're used to doing. My company does mostly residential and I don't have much experience bidding on commercial jobs this size.

The building is 3 floors that has about 25,000 sq ft of carpet total. It is comprised of offices, conference rooms and hallways with CGD carpet tiles on all 3 floors. Other than some spills and light traffic lanes the carpet is in very good condition. We will be responsible for moving chairs, picking up plastic mats, trash cans, etc. I planned on using a combination of HWE and encap. I have 3 large truck mounts and a Rotovac Bonzer we'll use for the HWE. I also have a Whittaker CRB for the encapping. Any input on how to price this per square ft is appreciated!

Matt
How many people?

How many times will you have to move the vans? (If you have to move to get everywhere)

How many hours do you expect it will take you?

Reactions: ColoradoCleaner

PTmatt

Dec 3, 2009
California
Real Name
Matt Martinez
Business Location
United States
How many people?

How many times will you have to move the vans? (If you have to move to get everywhere)

How many hours do you expect it will take you?
I will have 3 to 4 people on job. We will probably have to move vans a few times inorder to reach certain areas. I'm allotting 2 full days to complete the job. The setup looks a little tricky and theirs alot of chairs, tables and mats that need to be moved.

ColoradoCleaner

Dec 31, 2010
Denver, CO
www.magicwandcolorado.com
Real Name
Kevin M
Business Location
United States
Matt I'd strongly consider using a couple cimex machines to do the vast majority of the work. You can clean 2-3k sqft per hour per cimex. No worrying with moving trucks around etc, dries fast. Maybe run 1 truckmount on the worst areas and 2 cimex machines on the rest. We love our cimex and I use it on any light - medium soiled office space job that I can. As for me, I'd try to get $5k and I'd expect it to take about 12-15 man hours. I'd probably go as low as about $3k if needed.

Reactions: Tony from Chicago

PTmatt

Dec 3, 2009
California
Real Name
Matt Martinez
Business Location
United States
Kevin thank you for the input! I'd really like to use a Cimex, I just havnt had enough large commercial work to justify the $3k to buy one. Maybe it's time I look into getting one.

LookNGood

Mar 17, 2014
Real Name
Joe P
I will have 3 to 4 people on job. We will probably have to move vans a few times inorder to reach certain areas. I'm allotting 2 full days to complete the job. The setup looks a little tricky and theirs alot of chairs, tables and mats that need to be moved.
Ok so 4 guys 16 hours, that's 64 man hours. If you want $100 per man hour you are at $6400. If you are good with $75/hour be at $4800.

If you think it will take you 16 hours with 4 guys I wouldn't go lower than $4800.

Now if you had access to a cimex or really anything you can use to pretreat with an encap, you can limit the hwe necessary like Colorado suggested

ColoradoCleaner

Dec 31, 2010
Denver, CO
www.magicwandcolorado.com
Real Name
Kevin M
Business Location
United States
Kevin thank you for the input! I'd really like to use a Cimex, I just havnt had enough large commercial work to justify the $3k to buy one. Maybe it's time I look into getting one.
You could also look into renting one from your supplier for a day or a weekend. I believe my interlink rents them for like $50-$100/day. I have one that I own that I bought about a year ago and if I had a large job like this come along I'd rent 1 or 2 more for the job. Or if you think you'll have jobs like this come along frequently maybe buy one.

Respectfully I don't see how 25k sqft could take 64 man hours. That's only averaging 390 sqft/hour. Even with a truckmount we would average several times that per hour. Cimex can do 2-3k sqft per hour. You could ask the client to send an email to all employees to slip their chair mat behind the desk and flip their chair up before going home for the day. That would save you some time.

Reactions: 1ST CHOICE CLEANING

1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Staff member
Premium VIP
Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
You could also look into renting one from your supplier for a day or a weekend. I believe my interlink rents them for like $50-$100/day. I have one that I own that I bought about a year ago and if I had a large job like this come along I'd rent 1 or 2 more for the job. Or if you think you'll have jobs like this come along frequently maybe buy one.

Respectfully I don't see how 25k sqft could take 64 man hours. That's only averaging 390 sqft/hour. Even with a truckmount we would average several times that per hour. Cimex can do 2-3k sqft per hour. You could ask the client to send an email to all employees to slip their chair mat behind the desk and flip their chair up before going home for the day. That would save you some time.
I'm thinking it should take half the man hours and can be done in 1 day, should have time for lunch also.

Sep 5, 2015
Real Name
Alex Arrowood
We did an entire hotel, over 50,000 sqft carpet and did the arms of sofas for $3000. 6 floors, 25 rooms per floor and large conference rooms on the first floor. Used rotovac ranger autofill auto dump portable on floors 4-6 and truckmount on 1-3. Took 2 days with myself and one helper. Used 360i on halls and meeting rooms... used wand in rooms. Usually 25-50k sqft is .10 per sqft for us. We are in a very competitive market. Still 4-6 ppl and multiple vans is overkill. We prep every area to be cleaned and had to move small wastebaskets and roll office chairs out of the way. Good luck!

robert 1

Jan 12, 2010
Wichita Falls TX
titanpro24.com
Real Name
Robert Gamez
No no no, these places this big have a budget to pay you. Moving chairs and things is a lot of work for 4 guys. If you know for sure you can finish it in a certain time say for example 2- 8 hr days, .45 cents per sq. any longer I would charge my normal of .65 or not take the job. That's just me. But if you just want to make money and don't have a certain rate you stick to, then charge what you feel comfortable with. I'll bid 4 jobs at my price and three will pass for someone that will do it dirt cheap and those three will equal the one I get. Not talking down at all , I just know a lot of factors can make it not worthwhile . At lowest I'd charge 11 grand it's a lot of work in my opinion

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
I always expect the customer to send an email to the staff reminding them to pick up everything off the floor that they dont want to get wet.
Heavy office chairs would be the exception but trash cans, file boxes, personal items etc should be moved onto the desks.
If each employee moves their own crap it saves you hours.

shane deubell

Premium VIP
May 8, 2006
Real Name
Business Location
United States
Probably looking at 25 production hours so 25 hours X $150 hour = $3,750

That would be safe for most office settings.

Reactions: Tony from Chicago

Latest posts