Help with area rug cleaning | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Help with area rug cleaning

Andrew1986

Aug 6, 2018
Real Name
Andrew Tetyuk
Guys today i cleaned area rug just like always. It has this cotton edges. After cleaning edges became yellow. Can some one please tell me what happened? I used Flex pre spray, area rug is not wool, some kind of synthetic. What can i do to fix this? I have attached a picture

Thank you!

IMG_5849.jpg

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
The rug is synthetic but the fringe is cotton. Flex has too high of a ph for cotton. You should be able to correct this. If possible ask the customer if they will let you take the rug to your shop (house, but use “shop” when talking to customers). This may take several attempts to completely correct so it will be better to work on it at home.

Start by mixing some acid rinse at 1:10 preferably in a pump up sprayer. Saturate the fringe with the acid rinse. I’d then use a garden hose to flush flush? And flush some more. After sufficient flushing spray some more acid rinse on the fringe then extract. Extract all you can and get the rug as dry as possible. I’d wet the entire rug so you don’t leave any water lines anywhere. Once you have extracted all you can put fans on the rug and fringe to speed dry.

if the fringe yellows again you can just apply some more acid rinse and extract. Hopefully it all stays white the first time but you may need to work on some areas more than once.

Stay away from using bleach. Bleach may make the fringe look good but it will degrade the cotton and the fringes will disintegrate and fall off within weeks.

Andrew1986

Aug 6, 2018
Real Name
Andrew Tetyuk
I took the rug home. I have about one week before I need to take it back. Thank you for your advice. What kind of acid rinse would you recommend?

Steam

Feb 10, 2015
Real Name
Robert
Maybe start by knocking the ph down using acid rinse in a spray bottle. This is good for browning but, not sure about yellowing. Yello rx.

Acid rinse in spray bottle. Steps.
1: one mist from bottle at a time.
2. Dry vac area while fan is on until completely dry so you can see if it turns back to yellow. If it goes away
3.repeat. best method I've found for treating browning .

Steam

Feb 10, 2015
Real Name
Robert
Also, I would not re clean and over wet at all. Mist is gonna work in your favor.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
I took the rug home. I have about one week before I need to take it back. Thank you for your advice. What kind of acid rinse would you recommend?
Since you are using Bridgepoint products I’d recommend FabSet, although any brand acid rinse will work.

Hacky-sack

May 22, 2020
Real Name
Andrew Schultz
I'm not feelin any of these "fiber rinse" recommendations.

Citric doesn't do much on browned out cotton.

brush lightly with this brush to straighten.

use any residing agent with sodium metabisulfite
and rinse with upholstery tool.

plastic or paper under fringes to dry.

Dry

Second app many be necessary but since I don't see much soil , one might do

Ed Cruz

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
You can spritz them with an acidic mix then extract to neutralize the PH some and let them dry. They will probably stay yellow but that’s when you can brush in or towel a browning treatment. I use Chemspec Coffee Stain and Browning Remover....

Ed Cruz

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
You may be able to get away with combing them out then wetting down a white cloth towel With the browning treatment and blotting the fringe. Just lightly rinse afterwards and speed dry them. Next time try a shampoo like Chemspec Oriental Rug Shampoo on the rug... then you don’t have to worry much about this happening to the fringe. The cleaning power is there also in a neutral cleaner.