Help Stop The Relay Phone Scam!!

Dave Y

Carpet Cleaner
Jul 14, 2008
Real Name
Dave Yokum
Business Location
United States
I just talked to a representative for the relay service and he gave this advice.

1.Your business is required by law to take relay calls.

2.The scam calls start with " Do you clean area rugs And do you take credit cards?

3.You can get then say that for a credit card transaction they have to come by your office so you can verify their card.(the caller will them promptly hang up.)

4.Then record the 10 digit number that shows up on your caller ID and call this number-877-885-3172 to report the scammer.

They will then delete this number from the relay system.

A great way to help make this scam go away.

Here is a link to more information.

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/iprelayfraud.html

Dave Y

Carpet Cleaner
Jul 14, 2008
Real Name
Dave Yokum
Business Location
United States
I think it has to do with the disabilaty act.

As a business you have to take the call.

You don't have to get sucked into the scam.

It's too bad that it is affecting people with real disabilities the have to use the relay system.

Dave Y

Carpet Cleaner
Jul 14, 2008
Real Name
Dave Yokum
Business Location
United States
By law? What if I'm busy and I can't get to the phone? Will I get arrested?

From the FCC:

Don't Hang Up!

We remind businesses that, if they accept calls, receive orders, or do business by phone with the public, the ADA requires them to accept calls, receive orders, and do business by phone with members of the public who are deaf or hard of hearing or who have a speech disability and use TRS

paulosully

Mar 19, 2010
MA
Real Name
Paul Sullivan
Business Location
United States
I have recieved one of these calls. A representative explains that it is a relay call and asks if you will accept the call. So you are only obliged to accept once you have actually answered your phone. Otherwise it's just a missed call.

Then they started asking about rug cleaning, which I don't do a lot of, so I started asking my laundry list of qualifying questions. They must have gotten bored or frustrated because eventually they just hung up.