Help needed to remove grout haze

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

redtileman

Aug 22, 2008
Has anyone ever removed grout haze from Mapei CQ off of wood look porcelain tile? I tried hydrochloric acid and straight phosphoric acid both under a green pad using a 150 lb hawk brute with no success. Also tried a product called Bare Bones which I use to strip vinyl tile, it also had no effect.

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
Has anyone ever removed grout haze from Mapei CQ off of wood look porcelain tile? I tried hydrochloric acid and straight phosphoric acid both under a green pad using a 150 lb hawk brute with no success. Also tried a product called Bare Bones which I use to strip vinyl tile, it also had no effect.
do you have pics? acid should've worked

redtileman

Aug 22, 2008
It may be epoxy grout. It says sanded grout with polymer. Not sure if that means epoxy or not.
This stuff is in every one of these porcelain wood look tile nooks, crannies and crevices.

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
Mapai website says to use their epoxy grout remover to remove dried haze.
Good luck with that, if it's everywhere then be prepared for hands & knees with a scrubber.
Its a brutal job.

Dafloorman

Jul 30, 2008
Deerfield Beach, FL
Real Name
Gerald Simmons
It may be epoxy grout. It says sanded grout with polymer. Not sure if that means epoxy or not.
This stuff is in every one of these porcelain wood look tile nooks, crannies and crevices.
Use some muriatic acid! 80% water 20% acid, with a stiff nylo grit blue brush, that will remove the haze, but not damage the floor.

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
Use some muriatic acid! 80% water 20% acid, with a stiff nylo grit blue brush, that will remove the haze, but not damage the floor.
He said he tried acid. I looked up the tech spec sheet for that grout and it says it's acid proof!
I've had some success using Hopes perfect glass cleaner for modified grout haze. It's alcohol based.
I've seen it so bad that the only practical solution was a tear out & replace, especially with wood plank tile

Dafloorman

Jul 30, 2008
Deerfield Beach, FL
Real Name
Gerald Simmons
He said he tried acid. I looked up the tech spec sheet for that grout and it says it's acid proof!
I've had some success using Hopes perfect glass cleaner for modified grout haze. It's alcohol based.
I've seen it so bad that the only practical solution was a tear out & replace, especially with wood plank tile
Yes but muriatic is stronger than the other acids that he’s tried.

Jan 20, 2011
Southern California
www.goodfaithcarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Tony H.
Business Location
United States
Be extremely careful when using acid especially indoors. Always, always, always test first, preferably in a small spot that won't be visible if damage occurs, such as a closet or pantry. If acid is splashed onto appliances or other surfaces it can cause permanent damage, so always cover with plastic. One drop on a stainless steel appliance with the wrong customer and you may be buying them a new one. If you are using a very strong acid mix, even the fumes can cause corrosion (from experience) so don't use anything in a stronger concentration than the manufacturer recommends.

I understand that you want to help this customer out and that's commendable but don't make their problem your problem. As Pistol Pete said above, in some rare cases it just plain cannot be fixed. If that's the case, walk away it's just not worth it (also from experience).

BTW, polymer grout is not epoxy grout. Two different products.

Aug 22, 2008
Thank you, I did try a 3/1 mixture of muriatic acid when I did estimate. But, I already have breathing problems and did not want to make them worse. A company here in Houston recommended Twister which is hydrochloric acid. I saw on Mapei website that they have an Ultra Heavy duty cleaner to remove their products haze so I might recommend that to the customer.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Is this the ready mix grout in a bucket? Dont know if acid will touch it. That stuff acts more like glue then typical grout.

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
must me a diy project?

if not get that contractor back onsite.

hope your charging enough lol

Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
must me a diy project?

if not get that contractor back onsite.

hope your charging enough lol
So many tile guys i see leaving the haze for next day. I even heard one guy say "it will come off as they walk on it". If they thought this stuff would be the same? Man that was an expensive mistake. I agree bring installer back to clean up the mess.