Help! How do you clean a carpet that is deeply soiled like this? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Help! How do you clean a carpet that is deeply soiled like this?

Robntina

Dec 11, 2014
Real Name
Robert Wadley
This is a cream colored nylon carpet with nasty black soiling that goes all the way to the base in an area about 3 foot square.

How do you clean nasty soiling like this out when it goes all the way to the base of the fibers? I can get the surface to look ok but not down deep.

This is the second time I have encountered something like this. I did not succeed either time.

20170908_162524.jpg

Jose Holguin

Premium VIP
Oct 20, 2012
Vail, CO
Real Name
Jose Holguin
Business Location
United States
This is a cream colored nylon carpet with nasty black soiling that goes all the way to the base in an area about 3 foot square.

How do you clean nasty soiling like this out when it goes all the way to the base of the fibers? I can get the surface to look ok but not down deep.

This is the second time I have encountered something like this. I did not succeed either time.
Have you tried a rotary?

Robntina

Dec 11, 2014
Real Name
Robert Wadley
I can't tell what it is. It is in a living room right off of a kitchen so it could be some kind of cooking oil. The blackness of it makes me think it might be something stupid like used motor oil. It does not feel super oily though (anymore at least). It had been previously cleaned by somebody because it was not super obvious at first glance as the tips were similar in color as the surrounding carpet and there were plenty of other spots.

I used Matrix Grand Slam with some Matrix Citrus Force. Agitated with a CRB and rinsed with formula 90. I did this twice. I don't have a rotary unfortunately. Even so, I expected better results.

Robntina

Dec 11, 2014
Real Name
Robert Wadley
When the owner lived there he said they cleaned the carpet frequently (once or twice a year). Then they moved and decided to rent it out for a few years (goodbye nice carpet). Now he wants to sell the house.

Here is a before and after photo of the room so you have some context.
In the before photo you can see that this spot is not obvious and there are plenty of other bad spots to draw your attention elsewhere. To me this indicates that the carpet was cleaned at some point after that particular spot occurred or that at least they tried to clean up the spot after it happened.

The after photo shows everything cleaned up nicely except the spot is more noticeable now with everything around it clean. The spot is circled in red. It is also more noticeable when you are standing over it looking down.

On this particular job they may not even notice or care. If it dries without wicking too badly, they might be fine with it. I just want to be prepared in case I have to go back. It does bother me though to not be able to get it out.

before.jpg
after.png

longkenn

May 7, 2011
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
www.sunbreezeclean.com
Real Name
Kenneth Long
Business Location
United States
That appears to be where something collected there from seepage or something that possibly sat there for a period of time. From the original picture I thought it was just that spot which made me think inkjet ink. Since it covers a larger area then inkjet ink is most likely not the problem. Sometimes what I do is take several products in the house and a white towel. I apply the cleaning product full strength to the white towel and then wipe it over the spot. I start with acidic cleaners and move toward base (alkaline) cleaners and see which produces the most color transfer. Whichever produces the most transfer will be the cleaning solution you need to use. It may take multiple applications of the diluted solution to do the trick but it is a way to find what works if you don't know what caused the stain.

Reactions: AussieCarpetBloke

CCWorks

Premium VIP
Jan 3, 2010
Michigan
Real Name
Greg
Business Location
United States

View attachment 73019
You need a high HG (15) vacuum system with good CFM.

A rotary would work best, I used a 3 head rotovac with a modified portable that gets 16 to 17 HGs.

This is what I call Swamp Cleaning. You need to follow what I do here or you may have problems.

With the right vacuum system.

Use Zone Perfect. Mix double strength, pretreat.

Use a rotary with no vacuum. dis connect hose is faster.

Do this in small areas, like a 50 sq. ft. area. Doing small areas does not let the water soak in the carpet too much.

Do not have over 300 PSI when using water flow.

Run the rotary on high speeds with open water flow. Swing the rotary back and forth quickly on high speed.
Let the water pool and splash around a bit that soaks the carpet.
make sure you flood the carpet top as you move the rotary back and forth quickly on high speeds.
This should take no long then a few minutes, depending on your pumps water flow, (GPM)

Alter the water pools

Connect hoses and vacuum up pool water quickly when the rotary is on high speeds. You can even use your open water flow when doing this.
Make sure you vacuum up all the pooling water on the carpet before you do a dry pass.
You need a good dump tank that can handle all that water.

Now turn down the speed on rotary to a very low speed and go over the area you just cleaned, take time and move the rotary very slowly over the 50 ft. area.. You can use water flow when doing this. Water flow on a low rotary speed helps remove deep soils and rinse the carpet.. but you need to go over the area with a dry pass on low speeds after the swamp cleaning processes.
It depends on how much and deep the soil is if you want to used water flow after you swamped the area.

Repeat if needed.

It is necessary use blowers or fans to dry carpet.

Foam should not be a problem unless some one used a high ph spot cleaner or a dry foam cleaning processes.

Last edited:

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
I use a CRB
Ok i was just checking to see if you were agitating. (Some dont). Crb is excellent for that situation in front of you. But i never had much luck with grandslam. I hated it enough to pour it out and chuck it. I stick to the enzall or klenz and matrix miracle. Form 90 good stuff. Been using it for years.

ron Tabb

Sep 13, 2015
Real Name
Ron Tabb
How big is the room is it a stand alone how much are you charging

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Hard to say exactly what that is, but it sure looks like some type of ink to me. If you get ink wet it just spreads and keeps on spreading so whoever cleaned that first may have spread it out from a small stain to a very large one. I seriously doubt at this point getting it all out is even possible. What I do think is possible is to improve the appearance from the top down.

I'd likely at least try an oxi stain remover or even an oxi encap solution applied and bonnet after might provide better results. Really depends on what it actually is, but I'm still thinking ink. Don't know anything else that would look like that. It doesn't look like motor oil or cooking oil of any type to me. If it was that type of staining it should respond to some type of degreaser. I think at this point less moisture is the way to go. It could be permanent. You did a great job on the carpet btw. I think some type of stain removal is the best fix. I'd almost bet it could be improved a lot.

VAIL

Jun 16, 2017
Real Name
RICK VAIL
You need a high HG (15) vacuum system with good CFM.

A rotary would work best, I used a 3 head rotovac with a modified portable that gets 16 to 17 HGs.

This is what I call Swamp Cleaning. You need to follow what I do here or you may have problems.

With the right vacuum system.

Use Zone Perfect. Mix double strength, pretreat.

Use a rotary with no vacuum. dis connect hose is faster.

Do this in small areas, like a 50 sq. ft. area. Doing small areas does not let the water soak in the carpet too much.

Do not have over 300 PSI when using water flow.

Run the rotary on high speeds with open water flow. Swing the rotary back and forth quickly on high speed.
Let the water pool and splash around a bit that soaks the carpet.
make sure you flood the carpet top as you move the rotary back and forth quickly on high speeds.
This should take no long then a few minutes, depending on your pumps water flow, (GPM)

Alter the water pools

Connect hoses and vacuum up pool water quickly when the rotary is on high speeds. You can even use your open water flow when doing this.
Make sure you vacuum up all the pooling water on the carpet before you do a dry pass.
You need a good dump tank that can handle all that water.

Now turn down the speed on rotary to a very low speed and go over the area you just cleaned, take time and move the rotary very slowly over the 50 ft. area.. You can use water flow when doing this. Water flow on a low rotary speed helps remove deep soils and rinse the carpet.. but you need to go over the area with a dry pass on low speeds after the swamp cleaning processes.
It depends on how much and deep the soil is if you want to used water flow after you swamped the area.

Repeat if needed.

It is necessary use blowers or fans to dry carpet.

Foam should not be a problem unless some one used a high ph spot cleaner or a dry foam cleaning processes.
OXY-OUT- WATER CLAW- TURBO DRY-
IMG_1847.JPG
IMG_1848.JPG
ITS IN THE UNDER PAD FLUSH TILL WATER IS CLEAR THEN DRY

Attachments