help fellows, after being a one man show for 13 years | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

help fellows, after being a one man show for 13 years

jadon

Nov 28, 2008
eggharbor.New Jersey
Real Name
ronald smith
I thought I was running the business- doing making own marketing- upsell-, but the wifey laugh at me. and said I run this thing like a mom and pop hustle. need the advice from anyone who had similar experience

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
After 13 years, it should be plain if the business is growing the way you want it to. Do you want to stay a one man operation? Are you doing well financially?

If things are not headed where you want, start with a business plan. Where do you want to be in 10 years? What are the steps to get there? Where do you need to be in 5 YEars? Two years? 1 Year? 6 months? Plan out each step.

It is unusually for one person to really do well at the technical aspects of cleaning and also the creative aspects of marketing, the accounting and management and so forth. Look for the things you do best at and hire help in other areas.

You won't grow, you can't grow if you are too busy working in the busy to work on the business. Planning and improving are key. Time to step back, take a wide angle view of things.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Many of my local guys are content with their size and don't want to get any bigger (you hush, peanut gallery, I can hear you giggling back there).

Others want to grow but are afraid of handing control of any aspect of the business to someone else. They try to hire someone but micromanage themselves right out of an employee.

Still others are ready and willing to grow but can't find the right person to bring into their business. They hire family and friends, who may be trustworthy but don't have the required savvy, and the results are usually not too good.

And only a very very small handful have successfully made the transition from doing all the work to running a productive and profitable crew.

I would piggyback onto Scott's brilliant advice to add that, before you hire anyone, you would benefit from attending some classes on how to develop and run a small business.

Many metropolitan areas actually have reduced-cost or free courses to help promote small business development in their area.

You also have industry-specific companies like Violand Management who are dedicated to helping carpet cleaning and restoration companies grow by teaching them how to run a business, not own a job.

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
Just really depends on you and what makes you happy.

Some Owner operators don’t know how to manage a crew and some just can’t.
There’s a lot of moving parts when you start adding staff. You’ll take an initial pay cut but that shouldn’t last long if you’re able to grow.

Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
I thought I was running the business- doing making own marketing- upsell-, but the wifey laugh at me. and said I run this thing like a mom and pop hustle. need the advice from anyone who had similar experience
Are you happy the way it has been? Are your bills getting paid? January will be 12 years with my business and you could say I run it like a mom and pop hustle also but I have no desire to run more than 2 vans. After my first year my wife and I had a long hard talk and decided if things did not improve the next year I would get a job again. As long as food was on the table, bills paid, we wasnt borrowing to cover expenses and we had a little emergency money she was happy.