HELP!!!! can this situation be undone

Tron

Aug 3, 2010
Business Location
United States
What a crap storm. I call a Installed textile a carpet. A rug imo is a loose lying piece. Those chems were a bad idea. That musty smell your guy described is a definite sign of wool. I really dont think that carpet is as expensive as they jest. We sell carpet. Find out exactly what brand, style and color it is. try to get their reciept or get them to get the receipt from who they bought it from. theres a good chance i can order it or you at manufacturer cost and you could probly pic it up at your local distributor COD. I just think I could fix this, but if not let me know.

ALOHA CARPET

Dec 23, 2009
mi
Real Name
Al Shariff
Business Location
United States
Tron, i will try to play with it and use the methods u mentioned...if that doesnt work i will contact you..and what a rug like cost at manufacturer price jus give me an idea..thanx again i am over whelmed with the help

LisaWagner

Aug 27, 2008
San Diego
Real Name
Lisa Wagner
Business Location
United States
A thorough acid rinse will remove all of the GUNK put into this piece. If it is an inlay, try that first... if it is a rug, then take it out and wash it properly.

Couple other things... your employee should be able to discern if a fiber is wool or not, that is NOT the homeowner's responsibility, that should be the cleaning expert's skill.

Also, this should begin a practice by your employees, which we do, which is that you take a photo of all pieces BEFORE the work when there are any issues. It's so easy to do, there really is no reason not to.

This will also be a situation where you will find out what your insurance covers, and what they do not... because MANY policies will deny a claim based on POOR WORKMANSHIP (i.e. mistakes by cleaners) - but they will cover ACCIDENTS. This is why I train cleaners in rug care with using photos, checklists, and documentation... so that if an insurance company says "poor workmanship" you can prove otherwise.

Take this as a learning experience, and have your employee lay out in writing what he will do in the future to avoid a situation like this from happening again. If he was not given the right training, get it for him. If he does already have training and gives you a lame answer, then get a new employee. Mistakes are costly, unless they are learned from... it's the repeated mistakes that can cost you your company.

Lisa

astrikingimage

Premium VIP
Oct 20, 2010
NM
Real Name
Jose Salazar
Business Location
United States
I think Tron is on the right path.
Do a burn test on a carpet fiber to see if it is wool.
If this is a wool carpet and it has been repeatedly cleaned with high ph chemicals, one of these time it will brown on you (browning can take on many colors).
Clean wool rugs then post spray them with an anti brown to prevent yellowing.

In your situation, I think that the carpeted brownEd on you because it was left too wet probably including part of the pad, and it did not dry in time.
It looks like the color of the carpet is peach/light pink so I think with improper drying it would turn darker which would explain the reddish spots.
I would reclean and post spray with anti brown and let homeowner know that it might require several cleans to correct. Comp her the original cost to clean for inconvienance and chalk it up as experience/lesson learned.

Tron

Aug 3, 2010
Business Location
United States
Tron, i will try to play with it and use the methods u mentioned...if that doesnt work i will contact you..and what a rug like cost at manufacturer price jus give me an idea..thanx again i am over whelmed with the help

No problem, I live for this stuff. I literaly LOVE rugs. Carpet can vary soo much. The good thing you have going for you here is theres no way that this is bigger than a 12' cut, 15' goods cost much more. (carpet rolls come in 12 or 15' rolls) I really really doubt it wold exceed 500. 200 -500 is my guess. Id think youd be better off paying out of pocket tan turning in a insurance claim personally. I just need to know exactly what it is to know.

Tron

Aug 3, 2010
Business Location
United States
If you are in Michigan I would call Paul Lucas at ChemMax.com If Paul doesn't have a fix he will invent one.
Barry
http://www.SpongoBongo.com

Spongo and lisa know more than me btw, although i think we are thinking the same thing here.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Everybody is pointing you in the right direction here. Looks like browning to me (like mentioned above browning can be different colors including red) I have fixed problems like this before by filling a pump sprayer with some fiber rinse and pre spraying the carpet fairly liberaly with fiber rinse and using a bonnet on it. That may fix the problem by itself, if it does then speed dry with fans, if not then do a HWE clear rinse at 200-300 psi. A quick rinse is all you need and do multiple dry passes then post spray a light mist of fiber rinse on again and speed dry with fans.

davenjai

Dec 16, 2009
Peachtree City, GA
Real Name
David Tassa
Business Location
United States
High pH tends to yellow wool. What does the back look like? First, I would ask her what she thinks it is worth. Depending on what she says, I would pay for it or ask if I can take it back to the shop to see if I can fix it. If you take it to your shop, apply an acidic product and see what happens. It may just need a good cleaning. If it is unresponsive then peroxide is about all that is left.

the rugman

Feb 11, 2006
Warwick, NY
Real Name
Bob Cairns
Business Location
United States
I would want to know what is under the rug - could have been over wet and pulled some color form the floor or maybe a cheap pad under it. Pull a corner and take a look. Be ready to write a check - this one is on you - not your tech as he works for you and should be trained to spot a wool rug.
Try and get out out of there and bring to somebody that can help you out as offered here.

ALOHA CARPET

Dec 23, 2009
mi
Real Name
Al Shariff
Business Location
United States
ok i had contacted the customer and asked her to take a clean wet white towel n press it over the stains to see if it will transfer...and she told me that it DID...is this a good sign?

Joseph Rogers

Premium VIP
Dec 9, 2010
VA
Real Name
Jim Bob
Business Location
United States
No problem, I live for this stuff. I literaly LOVE rugs. Carpet can vary soo much. The good thing you have going for you here is theres no way that this is bigger than a 12' cut, 15' goods cost much more. (carpet rolls come in 12 or 15' rolls) I really really doubt it wold exceed 500. 200 -500 is my guess. Id think youd be better off paying out of pocket tan turning in a insurance claim personally. I just need to know exactly what it is to know.

*roflmao*

Did you just imply that rugs are simpler and easier to work with than carpet, and that you have to know SOOOOOOOOOOO much more about carpet than you do rugs? I'm not sure I understand the statement about how "Carpet can vary SOOOO much"....