Help buying first van

Diego-

Dec 22, 2020
Real Name
Diego Julio
Hello,
I am a complete newbie and trying to buy my first carpet cleaning van. I am currently looking at a 98 3500 Chevy van. It has a 4.7 CDS Hydramaster installed with 3300 hours on the machine and 150,000 on the van. I've talked to the seller and they are selling it because they updated to the newer CDS models. They claim it has been taken care of very well and it operates perfect. They want $7,500 and it includes the tanks, reels, vacuum hoses and solution line (plus van). I have read that the Hydramasters are extremely reliable. But what are the big downfalls that they have like Heat, wear and tear on the engine or CFM's? What would be the cost to transfer the truck mount to a new van? I have not seen it in person but in the pics it looks pretty good for a 98. Would you guys say this is a good deal (with the little info you guys have)?

Any advice you fine people give would be much appreciated!

Calgary Hog

Aug 4, 2018
Real Name
Tinnam
Why even bother for truck mount .. buy water otter usewater from boiker tank in basement with inline hose filter.
Use Mytee vaccum booster of flood hog on porch.
Or make your own extraction system. And put diesel fired burner.
I am running my setup for last 2 years and stress free

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
Why even bother for truck mount .. buy water otter usewater from boiker tank in basement with inline hose filter.
Use Mytee vaccum booster of flood hog on porch.
Or make your own extraction system. And put diesel fired burner.
I am running my setup for last 2 years and stress free
yes, thats what everyone should do.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
but really, there are too many variables to answer your question.

how much experience cleaning carpets do you have?
whats your business plan?
how much money do you have to start? Where is is allocated?
just to start....

But in any case, DONT rely on hours on the TM or pictures in the ad. Hour meters can be swapped out and pictures can be deceiving. Buying a good used TM is an art in itself.

Reactions: Calgary Hog