Help a new guy out! My truck froze | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Help a new guy out! My truck froze

TylerH

Jan 27, 2018
Real Name
tyler horn
Day two of having my butler and it was froze solid this morning used a oil heater last night didn’t keep it from freezing it’s a gmc box truck I do not have access to a garage I live in southwest Colorado any pointers on how to keep it warm would be much appreciated new to tmf not sure how all this works or if I am even posting in the right area thank you for your patience.

brian3180

Mar 7, 2010
Texas
Real Name
brian l
Business Location
United States
winterizing it would have been a good idea if you didn't have more than one heater and blankets. You don't necessarily need a garage. A cover helps a lot. Carport.

TylerH

Jan 27, 2018
Real Name
tyler horn
I only work on weekends right now. Is there a special way to winterize a butler?

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
Get that heater close to your TM pointing at it, and cover it all with a thick blanket to keep it insulated. You'd think by now someone would have come up with a system just for TM's to keep them from freezing.

It will also help to run RV Antifreeze through the system at the end of the day. That way the lines can't freeze. Frozen lines can lead to some of the most expensive repairs you've ever had to make.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
You can easily use a 5 gallon bucket with a 12v or 115v transfer pump and pump RV antifreeze through the system and not need to worry. Just protect wands, sprayers and chems by bringing them inside and drain fresh and waste tanks.

RV antifreeze can be reused, we add extra red food coloring so we can tell when it's mostly back into the bucket, then finish purging on the ground when you are going to put it back in service. Power consumption vs antifreeze price, I think antifreeze is likely more cost effective in your situation.

TylerH

Jan 27, 2018
Real Name
tyler horn
You can easily use a 5 gallon bucket with a 12v or 115v transfer pump and pump RV antifreeze through the system and not need to worry. Just protect wands, sprayers and chems by bringing them inside and drain fresh and waste tanks.

RV antifreeze can be reused, we add extra red food coloring so we can tell when it's mostly back into the bucket, then finish purging on the ground when you are going to put it back in service. Power consumption vs antifreeze price, I think antifreeze is likely more cost effective in your situation.
This won’t hurt the water softener?

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
I’ve never had a PTO sush as a butler but aren’t all the components under the “shell” which would prevent a heater from being effective? I’d put a heater in the van to protect the wands, hoses, chemicals, water softener, etc. and then winterize the unit with antifreeze.

I know the butler uses the van engine radiator for heat, I’m not sure if the lines running back and forth to the radiator are part of the vans cooling system with antifreeze in them or how it works. Winterizing will protect that too.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
In our box trucks we run two heaters. But now that it was froze you will have some issues. May have leaks now or stress cracks within next 90-180 days.

JustSomeDude

Dec 22, 2017
Real Name
Aaron Blaine
this is by far my biggest fear when purchasing a tm because I live in ny. I like robs idea with the two heaters just incase one fails the other will get you out of the woods. Also the thermometer inside the van so you can check it without having to go outside or open the doors to save heat. You can also insulate the interior of the van in the winter during the week when you are not using it and the reusable anti freeze is a great idea if all else fails especially if its going to be sitting for a week with only one heater in it.

JustSomeDude

Dec 22, 2017
Real Name
Aaron Blaine
they have delonghi ceramic heaters that are flat and you can hang or mount in the inside walls of the van. They have an anti freeze setting as well if you want to alternate them.

TLC CARPET CLEANING

Dec 3, 2010
vermont
Real Name
Leon Turmel
Business Location
United States
Butler has winterizing instructions in their owners/operator manual. If you follow those directions, and empty your fresh water tank if your not heating the box, you will be okay. Make sure to bring tools into a warm area also, if your not heating the box. RV antifreeze works the best. Sorry for your hard freeze up! Like rob said above, you can expect issues with the water system for freeze failure. Good luck!!

Reactions: rob allen

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States

Reactions: TLC CARPET CLEANING

Ken Raddon

Jul 22, 2010
UT
Real Name
Ken Raddon
Business Location
United States
Dang it, I fell for it again. Watched that to see her not him.

Nov 16, 2016
Real Name
Joe Adase
I winterize the system and use an oiled filled heater with thick blankets laying over the TM and hose reel creating a low ceiling with the heater in between. I also have a thermometer sensor located in front of the trailer so i know its good everywhere else. I check the temp right next to my bed everytime i get up to pee. 7° outside 49° inside the trailer.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I winterize the system and use an oiled filled heater with thick blankets laying over the TM and hose reel creating a low ceiling with the heater in between. I also have a thermometer sensor located in front of the trailer so i know its good everywhere else. I check the temp right next to my bed everytime i get up to pee. 7° outside 49° inside the trailer.
Might want add some Flomax.

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
Would an electric blanket work?
I'm in Florida so not an issue here!

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Maybe this is where that guys idea of the electric blanket will come in handy. Not the ones you sleep under. But the industrial ones for heating barrels and curing concrete in freezing temperatures. Maybe just cover the machine itself.

Other wise i wouldnt bother with the space heaters 1500w each. Get at least a 240v shop heater 5000w alone or go to propane fired heater. And insulate. If have not done it yet then insulate. And by propane i mean the rv furnace. It uses outside air as intake and exhaust through the wall. So far less condensation and safer to use.