Hello

Brady T

Mar 12, 2012
I am new to the site and new to the concept of carpet cleaning. I am interested in maybe purchasing my own portable unit for the time being to start off with, but I have no clue on how to begin. I worl full time so this would be a part-time venture and may lead to more. I would welcome any opinions, advice, information regarding the start-up of something like this. Thanks a bunch!!!

There is a lot of good information on this forum and others. Start with a lot of reading. Skip over the posts that are not helpful. You will soon be able to recognize what is banter and what is good info.

Clean a few carpets. Maybe you can ride along with a cleaner who is close enough to travel to but not so close as to be a competitor. Post your location and ask. If absolutely necessary, rent a machine and clean your own carpets. But one way or another get a feel for what is involved.

Attend some training at your local carpet cleaning equipment distributor. This is not a janitorial products distributor. I provide technical support for Interlink Supply. They have 72 locations around the USA. There are also some fine folks who are our competitors. Find one near you and attend an IICRC / Clean Trust class. If you need help in locating a good distributor, send me an email at [email protected]. Tell me where you are and I will check schedule of classes in your area.

Go to CleanWiki - Providing you safe and effective cleaning methods. Click on the "Technical Resources" tab at the very top and just left of center. It will open a menu with all types of training. Audio lectures, videos of jobs, free manuals, catalog, technical bulletins, magazine articles, Powerpoints and so much more.

Then decide where you want to be in 2 years and 5 years. Pick a market you want to work for. Do not try to be everything to everyone when you start out. You will go in circles. You can go for the small main street offices like doctors and lawyers and real estate, or go for apartment buildings when units turn over, over the high-end clients that like personal service and pay well. You may also go after the middle class home-owners. There is a lot more of this type of cleaning. Or maybe your market will be low price and high volume. But pick something and focus on that.

Try out different equipment at your local distributor after you have some idea of what is available and what you want to use it for. Some folks will come on here and tell you their idea of the "best" portable. But i may not be best for you. That would be like asking what is the best car, without knowing if mileage is important or speed or if you need to carry 5 kids around to soccer practice.