Heavily worn commercial glue down carpet | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Heavily worn commercial glue down carpet

blubby07

Sep 2, 2011
ca
Real Name
Joshua Holt
Business Location
United States
Hey all I was hoping to get a little input on a job I recently did.
This is a large comercial space that had cubicles in it for 15 years and they tore out all the cubicles to put in new ones.
While they were out we cleaned the open space and for the life of me the ground in worn out spots where chairs have been at the desks would not clean up.
In my contract im coming back after the new cubicles are installed to reclean all exposed areas.
Needless to say they would like to see these worn areas a little less obvious as now with the new layout some of the badly worn spotsts are now in exposed areas.
I was thinking of encap on these worn spots but wanted to get others thoughts.
We cleaned with HWE and used blowers to expedite drying.
Thanks to all in advance
daylight_8785.JPG

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
If it's from chairs rolling over it the carpet itself is damaged. You can make it cleaner but you can't reverse the physical damage to the carpet. Tell them to invest in the plastic carpet protectors for under the chairs before they start wearing holes in the carpet.

I've got an account that is a pain to clean because the carpet isn't even glued to the floor where the chairs sit anymore.

Smtwn janitorial

Sep 21, 2016
Real Name
Matt ross
Did you use a crb or any aggitation the first time you cleaned? If you only used a wand or rotary you can sometimes aggitate some life back into those spots with a crb or op machine like an orbot.

Qwikdry

Dec 2, 2012
Real Name
Russell
Business Location
United States
i agree, if you didn't agitate you didn't get it as clean as it can be.

blubby07

Sep 2, 2011
ca
Real Name
Joshua Holt
Business Location
United States
I have cleaned the job now several times and have always used agitation.
Im wondering if just a dry cleaning/encap over some of those badly damaged spots might help lighten it up a bit.
I think where I went wrong was not telling them before they took out the old cubicles what they would now be looking at, I must admit I was a bit shocked myself with how worn some of these areas are!
Some are actually thread barren.
Thanks guys for your help and if anyone else wants to chime in please do.

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
I have cleaned the job now several times and have always used agitation.
Im wondering if just a dry cleaning/encap over some of those badly damaged spots might help lighten it up a bit.
I think where I went wrong was not telling them before they took out the old cubicles what they would now be looking at, I must admit I was a bit shocked myself with how worn some of these areas are!
Some are actually thread barren.
Thanks guys for your help and if anyone else wants to chime in please do.
People don't seem to realize just how badly office chairs can damage carpets, especially after 15 years!

Reactions: keep it clean

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
Tell them to just take a look at what the chairs do to VCT. After a few years you can't even seal them areas up anymore. Carpets don't have a snowballs chances in hell!

ratfool

Apr 22, 2016
Real Name
Marlene Slichter
Tell them to just take a look at what the chairs do to VCT. After a few years you can't even seal them areas up anymore. Carpets don't have a snowballs chances in hell!
Very true. I have VCT that is actually dipped where the chair rolled over it repeatedly. (Aka water will puddle). I agree I bet the carpet fibers are toast.

blubby07

Sep 2, 2011
ca
Real Name
Joshua Holt
Business Location
United States
Never ever over promise, or don't address issues just to get the job, be up front, if not the blame is on you.
No over promising here, as I said I've been regularly servicing the account for some time now. They recently decided to tear out the cubicles so they naturally had me clean for them. I think we were both surprised to see how badly damaged the carpet was once it was vacated.
Just seeing if there was anything more I could do.
I've been in the industry for 23 years now and know to underpromise and overachieve.

Reactions: Dafloorman

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Encap the following week for maximum appearance level.

LookNGood

Mar 17, 2014
Real Name
Joe P
Hey all I was hoping to get a little input on a job I recently did.
This is a large comercial space that had cubicles in it for 15 years and they tore out all the cubicles to put in new ones.
While they were out we cleaned the open space and for the life of me the ground in worn out spots where chairs have been at the desks would not clean up.
In my contract im coming back after the new cubicles are installed to reclean all exposed areas.
Needless to say they would like to see these worn areas a little less obvious as now with the new layout some of the badly worn spotsts are now in exposed areas.
I was thinking of encap on these worn spots but wanted to get others thoughts.
We cleaned with HWE and used blowers to expedite drying.
Thanks to all in advanceView attachment 72168
Pretty much 100% of office chairs and office chair set ups ruin carpet. The mats will only save the carpet if the mat and carpet is cleaned regularly. And even then the perimeter around the mat will be more heavily worn. Unfortunately this sounds like replacement would have been the proper suggestion.

ron Tabb

Sep 13, 2015
Real Name
Ron Tabb
I don't know what you charged. Or where you are located However what I would do is this..
I would offer to put the cost of the cleaning towards a new carpet.If they buy from youSell them carpet tiles. Make a profit on the material make a profit on the removal make a profit on the install and make future profits maintaining. LolSo easy to install.Let me know Ill give you my distributed number

Reactions: rob allen