Heaters

Eagleeye

Jan 3, 2018
Real Name
Jason Rigdon
You guys can re categorize as needed but was wanting to know what everyone’s using for heaters to keep vans warm without a garage. I have been using lasko ceramic heaters for 10 years now but am always looking for the next best thing. The plug starts to melt after a season of use so wanting options

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Is your van insulated? What size extension cord have you been using? Ive melted the plug ends too. But it was because of it continually running without a break. Non insulated and drafty. Maybe insulation will help if you havent already done that. Or possibly look into 240v 5000w garage heater. More power. Able to keep up with the cold. Will require running new circuit. But maybe worth it in long run.

Reactions: Allied

Eagleeye

Jan 3, 2018
Real Name
Jason Rigdon
It is not insulated and it’s been highs in the teens so i have had 2 running for days and finally got a couple busted pipe jobs so had to use machine and plugs were melted. I bought new extension cords and thought about new heaters again but wanted options. I have ran 2 20 watt breakers from my house to use the 2 different heaters but they are being ran from commercial extension cords. One is a 25 and the other a 50 and I think that’s where the melting comes from between that and running for days

OldCarpetVet

Premium VIP
Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
Get this.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Tough-Buddy-18000-BTU-Portable-Radiant-Propane-Heater/3011768

You'll never go back to electric again. It'll heat up 400 sq. ft. in no time. For a 400 sq. ft. cabin one propane tank on high will last only a mere 1 1/2 hours. But we're talking a little cargo van in comparison and you'll leave it on low. On low it should last 6 to 8 hours. Plus it holds two tanks.
Just know that I have NEVER used it to keep equipment warm in a van. Just a 400 sq. ft. cabin. You'll melt it works that good.
Good luck.

Eagleeye

Jan 3, 2018
Real Name
Jason Rigdon
I have one like that I use for fishing but I’d be afraid to leave that in the van without supervision while I’m sleeping. They definitely put out the heat and may work perfect but I’d never sleep being worried about something catching on fire lol

OldCarpetVet

Premium VIP
Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
I have one like that I use for fishing but I’d be afraid to leave that in the van without supervision while I’m sleeping. They definitely put out the heat and may work perfect but I’d never sleep being worried about something catching on fire lol
Simply make sure nothing flammable is within 3 feet of it and you'll be fine. Shuts off if it tips over as well. I would never recommend it if I didn't trust it. That said, if your van if stuffed to the max, then no. It's probably not a good idea.

Swani21

Oct 8, 2015
Real Name
Nick S.
Simply make sure nothing flammable is within 3 feet of it and you'll be fine. Shuts off if it tips over as well. I would never recommend it if I didn't trust it. That said, if your van if stuffed to the max, then no. It's probably not a good idea.
I have one that I bought the adapter hose to run regular propane tanks on. Great heater! I like to run a fan to help keep moisture down.

Reactions: OldCarpetVet

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
we use electrics that have an anti freeze setting, only heats the trucks to 40f so it saves a lot on electricity bill over the course of a winter. It gets the box truck which is not insulated at all up to temp pretty fast but our winters are rarely below 25-30 degrees.

If your in an area that see single digits or less you really gotta just have a heated shop, otherwise its too risky and a huge pain.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
@Travis Teague installed a RV furnace. He had a thread on here about it. I liked that idea. Runs on propane. Uses outside air for combustion and exhausts outside also. Safe to use permanent install. See what he says if he is still using it.

Ken Raddon

Jul 22, 2010
UT
Real Name
Ken Raddon
Business Location
United States
My old box truck had a propane heater installed permanently and ran off the belly tank. It was called something like ventless and boy did it cause condensation on everything. Used it one winter only. Went with a radiator looking liquid filled heater for the next 15 years and never had a problem.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Get this.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Tough-Buddy-18000-BTU-Portable-Radiant-Propane-Heater/3011768

You'll never go back to electric again. It'll heat up 400 sq. ft. in no time. For a 400 sq. ft. cabin one propane tank on high will last only a mere 1 1/2 hours. But we're talking a little cargo van in comparison and you'll leave it on low. On low it should last 6 to 8 hours. Plus it holds two tanks.
Just know that I have NEVER used it to keep equipment warm in a van. Just a 400 sq. ft. cabin. You'll melt it works that good.
Good luck.
Great little heater, we cook on it while fishing!
34836f8be0c3eaf4f5e38de3f4ef9cd8.jpg
20171208_115855.jpg

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
My old box truck had a propane heater installed permanently and ran off the belly tank. It was called something like ventless and boy did it cause condensation on everything. Used it one winter only. Went with a radiator looking liquid filled heater for the next 15 years and never had a problem.
Those radiator-lookin' guys are what we use here, if my mechanic has trucks that need "overnight hospital stays" in our warehouse. That back area gets COLD at night (truthfully, not much better than outside) and we don't want people's vans freezing when they're already damaged. Kinda adds insult to injury, lol...

snokingkyle

Oct 2, 2017
Real Name
Kyle Wood
Have you used their new ones? I’ve been using this (and an older model) for a few years and they haven’t given out on me once.

Lasko 751320 Ceramic Tower Heater with Remote Control