Heat exchanger

Jason Miller

Aug 16, 2015
Real Name
Jason Miller
I have a aftermarket kerosene heat exchanger on my TM anyway the other night halfway through the job I lost heat so I check the kerosene level it was really low but not dry, today I filled it up but I can't get my heat again. Did I fry it ?

Paul Selby

Apr 26, 2013
South Central........Tennessee
Real Name
Paul Selby
Business Location
United States
I have a aftermarket kerosene heat exchanger on my TM anyway the other night halfway through the job I lost heat so I check the kerosene level it was really low but not dry, today I filled it up but I can't get my heat again. Did I fry it ?

The fuel pump uses the fuel to lubricate itself. If it runs too long with bad flow, it will lock up. Take the fuel pump loose from whatever is driving it and try to spin it by hand. If it's doesn't spin, replace it.

You also need to make sure you prime the fuel before you start it up.

Reactions: Mike Krall

Jason Miller

Aug 16, 2015
Real Name
Jason Miller
The fuel pump uses the fuel to lubricate itself. If it runs too long with bad flow, it will lock up. Take the fuel pump loose from whatever is driving it and try to spin it by hand. If it's doesn't spin, replace it.

You also need to make sure you prime the fuel before you start it up.
So worse case scenario I just burned out the fuel pump ?

Jason Miller

Aug 16, 2015
Real Name
Jason Miller
Picture of the heat exchanger it's obviously a aftermarket. And I'm at the point were I would like to get rid of it as it's designed for pressure washing so basically what that means even with the heat on low I'm still always blowing seals in my wands due to the water being so damn hot and that is because the water doesn't move through near as fast as it would on a pressure wash system.
But I haven't felt like ripping it out and hooking up the stock exchanger as from what I gather those things can be costly and a pain to fix

Attachments

• 1450527383173.jpg
    1450527383173.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 250

Wec

Jul 31, 2012
Real Name
dustin denton
A flow switch made to work with lower water flow would help a lot and they are very easy to change out

The flow switch turns the burner off when there is no water moving through it and back on when you start using water again

There are a few people here that have plenty of experience with fuel bunners

And increasing the flow of your wand might help just by itself like going to a 8flow or even a 12 flow

The faster you run water through the heater the faster the thermostat will pick up the temperature and turn the fire off and on

Reactions: Omar and Ed Cruz

Jason Miller

Aug 16, 2015
Real Name
Jason Miller
A flow switch made to work with lower water flow would help a lot and they are very easy to change out

The flow switch turns the burner off when there is no water moving through it and back on when you start using water again

There are a few people here that have plenty of experience with fuel bunners

And increasing the flow of your wand might help just by itself like going to a 8flow or even a 12 flow

The faster you run water through the heater the faster the thermostat will pick up the temperature and turn the fire off and on
Gotcha thanks for the imput. I must say the heat that thing puts out is amazing for rat nasty

Reactions: Omar

aloha one

Scrub a DUB DUB!
Feb 17, 2009
California
Real Name
Dave Moonan
Business Location
United States
Can you give me a rough idea what the fuel pump looks like ? And how do I bleed it ?
Fuel pumps on TMs are the Lil black thangs that's about 4-5 x 4-5 " square..They go out..Go to any auto parts Store they'll have em on the shelf..2 Screws and its off..Quick Fix For detailed location..Follow your Fuel ilnes..They connect to the Carb or the engine on top.

Paul Selby

Apr 26, 2013
Real Name
Paul Selby
Business Location
United States
Can you give me a rough idea what the fuel pump looks like ? And how do I bleed it ?

It will look similar to this:
ImageUploadedByTMF Forums1450555133.430691.jpg

You should have two lines on your fuel tank. One is a inlet and the other an outlet.

Hopefully there is a primer bulb on the tank outlet hose:
ImageUploadedByTMF Forums1450555245.477811.jpg

Squeeze that until fuel flows back to the fuel tank from the other line.

aloha one

Scrub a DUB DUB!
Feb 17, 2009
California
Real Name
Dave Moonan
Business Location
United States
View attachment 57556

You should have two lines on your fuel tank. One is a inlet and the other an outlet.

View attachment 57557

LOL Alaways gotta One up Me hey Bro? jk..Anyways mine were Electric..No Squeeze er Thang! Good for an out Board tho..

Paul Selby

Apr 26, 2013
Real Name
Paul Selby
Business Location
United States
Fuel pumps on TMs are the Lil black thangs that's about 4-5 x 4-5 " square..They go out..Go to any auto parts Store they'll have em on the shelf..2 Screws and its off..Quick Fix For detailed location..Follow your Fuel ilnes..They connect to the Carb or the engine on top.

He's needing to work on a burner fuel pump Dave

Jason Miller

Aug 16, 2015
Real Name
Jason Miller
View attachment 57556

View attachment 57557

First picture I recognize that is on the exchanger but I don't think I have a pump to prime it however their is a glass thing almost looks like it's supposed to be a filter on the fuel line. So how do I prime it without the pump

Paul Selby

Apr 26, 2013
Real Name
Paul Selby
Business Location
United States
First picture I recognize that is on the exchanger but I don't think I have a pump to prime it however their is a glass thing almost looks like it's supposed to be a filter on the fuel line. So how do I prime it without the pump

Easiest way? Suck on the line till fuel is right at the end and plug it up.

Best way- go get a primer ball at Walmart and put it in line.
It's sold in the boat section