Heat exchanger or propane

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Sep 17, 2018
Real Name
MATTHEW ROGERS
Been out of the carpet cleaning industry for several years so I’m a little out of the loop when it comes to recent truck mounts,etc. Owned a heat exchange truck mount when they first came out and it totally sucked. Couldn’t keep consistent heat and couldn’t get near the heat that a propane heated mount can. Most of the new mounts nowadays utilize heat exchangers. My question is, have they gotten better? Can they keep up with a propane heated mount? I’m starting my business by next spring and need to know what kind of mount I should buy.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Been out of the carpet cleaning industry for several years so I’m a little out of the loop when it comes to recent truck mounts,etc. Owned a heat exchange truck mount when they first came out and it totally sucked. Couldn’t keep consistent heat and couldn’t get near the heat that a propane heated mount can. Most of the new mounts nowadays utilize heat exchangers. My question is, have they gotten better? Can they keep up with a propane heated mount? I’m starting my business by next spring and need to know what kind of mount I should buy.
Heat exchanger units have improved drastically over the last 20 years. Of course the amount of heat you get is determined by the size of the machine. A small 16 horsepower air cooled engine is not producing as much heat as a 60 horsepower water cooled engine.

I’d say the bigger machines run comparable heat to a propane burner but propane will beat out the smaller machines. That being said I still prefer heat exchangers to propane even if I don’t have as much heat.

My next statement will sound like blasphemy to many and a lot will disagree but in my opinion heat is over rated.

smart n kleen

Smart N Kleen
Premium VIP
Mar 12, 2010
oregon
Real Name
Rick K
Business Location
United States
Heat exchanger units have improved drastically over the last 20 years. Of course the amount of heat you get is determined by the size of the machine. A small 16 horsepower air cooled engine is not producing as much heat as a 60 horsepower water cooled engine.

I’d say the bigger machines run comparable heat to a propane burner but propane will beat out the smaller machines. That being said I still prefer heat exchangers to propane even if I don’t have as much heat.

My next statement will sound like blasphemy to many and a lot will disagree but in my opinion heat is over rated.
I’d say I agree except on greasy restaurants.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
He didn’t. Hell means mans common grave. Just to let you know lol.
I was clearly jesting =)

I love having heat though, I don't care what anybody says, it helps clean up faster. Would you rather wash dishes with cold water or hot water?

JD5150

Oct 24, 2010
Real Name
JD S
Business Location
United States
Hot water helps cut grease, fats, oils and gum at a quicker rate. I use less prespray and spotting chemical with my diesel fired heater turned up to 210 to 220. I'm on the trigger to much with a high flow wand for heat exchange to keep up. Especially on tile. I never let go of the trigger on tile while cleaning at 1200 psi. I will run the biggest HX machine under 200 degrees on tile. Especially if i'm running two spinners or two wands/rotary's on carpet

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
Nothing beats fuel fired Heat I don't think you'll get a lot of argument about that. but he exchangers work just fine for the most part. Keep in mind there is no free lunch.

Sep 17, 2018
Real Name
MATTHEW ROGERS

Blasphemy!! Get away from me satan!! Ok, I really appreciate the feedback. I had an avenger 20 years ago and it was one of the worst mistakes I’ve ever made. Biggest piece of crap mount I’ve ever owned. I lived in Palm Springs at the time where its 150 thousand degrees in August and still only got warm water, forget about steam! Anyways, I relocated from the north Lake Tahoe/Reno area to Massachusetts a few years back and didn’t know that butler mounts are made here,so I’ve been looking at those but worry about the heat there able to put out being that they utilize heat exchangers. It’s so freakin cold out here that I’ve really considered buying another steamway powermatic because there kerosene heated. That was the last mount I owned before leaving the industry 8 years ago and absolutely loved the heat it consistently pumped out. I’m just trying to make the best decision because I’m on a shoe string budget. I’m so glad that truck Mount forums now exist and am now able to get so much feedback. Anymore suggestions about a good reliable mount with good heat and reliability is much appreciated because I only have the budget to buy a used mount until I get my business off the ground. Thank you so much!! Sorry for writing a book!!

Sep 17, 2018
Real Name
MATTHEW ROGERS
It’s a kick ass machine,however, I’m actually waiting till spring to startup and am just getting my ducks in a row and have a couple large commercial accounts I’m trying to land until then. I’m also working to get as much of a loan as I can before then so I’m not totally sure what my exact budget is going to be for a truck Mount. I do appreciate you letting me know. Thank you

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
For the record, saponification (the conversion of lipids to soap in the presence of alkaline substances) begins to occur at as little as 120 degrees F. If you're cleaning restaurants or kitchen areas, you'll benefit from water that's at least that hot because it liquifies the grease and allows the prespray to begin chemically changing the grease into soap.

Most lipids will saponify in the 120-180 degree range. I cannot think of any commonly-used oils or fats that would need anything higher than that range.

In other words, 240 degrees isn't necessary - but heat will certainly speed up the cleaning process in some situations.

I'd never clean a lasagna pan with cold water.

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
Blasphemy!! Get away from me satan!! Ok, I really appreciate the feedback. I had an avenger 20 years ago and it was one of the worst mistakes I’ve ever made. Biggest piece of crap mount I’ve ever owned. I lived in Palm Springs at the time where its 150 thousand degrees in August and still only got warm water, forget about steam! Anyways, I relocated from the north Lake Tahoe/Reno area to Massachusetts a few years back and didn’t know that butler mounts are made here,so I’ve been looking at those but worry about the heat there able to put out being that they utilize heat exchangers. It’s so freakin cold out here that I’ve really considered buying another steamway powermatic because there kerosene heated. That was the last mount I owned before leaving the industry 8 years ago and absolutely loved the heat it consistently pumped out. I’m just trying to make the best decision because I’m on a shoe string budget. I’m so glad that truck Mount forums now exist and am now able to get so much feedback. Anymore suggestions about a good reliable mount with good heat and reliability is much appreciated because I only have the budget to buy a used mount until I get my business off the ground. Thank you so much!! Sorry for writing a book!!
If your on a shoestring budget I couldn't say enough good about going with a Jag and getting a little giant you would be shocked with the cleaning performance. The average 2-hour dry times our customers couldn't be happier