Heat exchanger leaking

Ronman 1

Jan 2, 2011
Pueblo, CO
My heat exchanger on my Prochem Performer 405 has developed a steady leak probably from freezing. I've pulled it and there is a small crack by the weld on the coil. Before I removed it I could clean for about 5 minutes before my truckmount started to work under a heavy load for about 5 seconds and shut down. My question is, will a leaking heat exchanger cause this? The water pressure does not drop on the guage. What else may cause the sudden heavy load that will shut the engine down. This also happens in muffler mode. I have not had it welded yet, but was curious if this is why it shuts down.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
I'm thinking the shutdown is not related to the heat exchanger leak. Which heat exchanger is it?

Are there any other symptoms that may be causing the shutdown? How hot is the solution getting? Is the engine possibly overheating? Check your oil level too.

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
You mentioned the machine being under load. Are you putting the load on the truck mount, or does it automatically put itself under load. That's how you made it sound, which made me think that you might have a clog in your blower, causing it to overheat

JDARNOLD

Jul 31, 2012
Real Name
Edward Arnold
Business Location
United States
My heat exchanger on my Prochem Performer 405 has developed a steady leak probably from freezing. I've pulled it and there is a small crack by the weld on the coil. Before I removed it I could clean for about 5 minutes before my truckmount started to work under a heavy load for about 5 seconds and shut down. My question is, will a leaking heat exchanger cause this? The water pressure does not drop on the guage. What else may cause the sudden heavy load that will shut the engine down. This also happens in muffler mode. I have not had it welded yet, but was curious if this is why it shuts down.

Thanks in advance for your help.

JDARNOLD

Jul 31, 2012
Real Name
Edward Arnold
Business Location
United States
You said that you had a freeze up. On the back of the hx there is a temp sensor that is for high temp shutdown take the wire off of it. Make sure its not touching any metal try running the unit, if it stays running the freeze got it also. Ice crushed the inside so it grounds to soon.

Ronman 1

Jan 2, 2011
Pueblo, CO
I'm thinking the shutdown is not related to the heat exchanger leak. Which heat exchanger is it?

Are there any other symptoms that may be causing the shutdown? How hot is the solution getting? Is the engine possibly overheating? Check your oil level too.
It's the large round cylinder heat exchanger. The oil was just changed a few weeks ago. Imediately after shutting down I hear boiling, but I can't tell where it's coming from. I can immediately restart it and it will run just fine for another 5 minutes or so before it bogs down and shuts down again. The gauges don't show the water is overheating. I've had sensors shut the TM down before, but not bog the engine down prior to killing the engine.

Ronman 1

Jan 2, 2011
Pueblo, CO
You mentioned the machine being under load. Are you putting the load on the truck mount, or does it automatically put itself under load. That's how you made it sound, which made me think that you might have a clog in your blower, causing it to overheat
The engine is being under load on its own. It will do it while I'm standing in front of it. I'm stumped. The service tech at interlink Supply said it was being caused by the leak, but I'm skeptical. Any other ideas?

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
The engine is being under load on its own. It will do it while I'm standing in front of it. I'm stumped. The service tech at interlink Supply said it was being caused by the leak, but I'm skeptical. Any other ideas?
It's time to start looking to see if there's a clog somewhere between your blower filter all the way to the blower heat exchanger.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
That one has the Nissan A-15 engine right? If you hear boiling I'm guessing it's the radiator. There is a sensor on the top backside of the engine that kills the machine if the engine gets too hot.

Is the heat exchanger leaking solution water or radiator water? Keep an eye on the radiator. Last thing you need is to fry the engine.

Reactions: JDARNOLD