Heat exchanger diverter valve HELP

Mar 7, 2017
Real Name
Christian Cartier
Hi everyone . I recently had to get rid of my little giant heater because it popped under pressure so I bought a used heat exchanger. It’s hooked up and it produces really good heat but it has a valve to re-direct the exhaust gases to control the water temperature but I don’t have the things needed to control the valve. Can anybody help me out as to what I need to buy to make this work? The valve goes forward and backward and I was thinking of adjusting it manually to see what spot I get hot enough water but would like to do it the right way instead. Any help is greatly appreciated thankyou

Attachments

Swani21

Oct 8, 2015
Real Name
Nick S.
I may be wrong but I believe the diverter is either all the way open or all the way closed. Mine is run off vacuum lines.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
That diverter looks exactly like the one on my Boxxer, but I think it would be impossible for you to re-create everything you would need to make that work exactly like the Boxxer. When my actuator went out on me I had to open and close my diverter manually and I didn't have a problem with it. I think that's the only way you'll be able to use it. It would be a good idea to get something on there so you can at least monitor how hot it's actually getting so you don't blow your hoses. With a single heat exchange I doubt it's going to get too hot to be any real problem, but it needs to be checked for safety reasons. You won't really be able to control the temp too well, but I normally run my machine with my diverter on or off and my temp turned all the way up so my diverter stays closed most of the time, but opens at around 230 or 240 degrees to relieve some heat.

The Magician

Dec 2, 2008
Ohio
Real Name
Jimmy Nardella
With your diverter on, when you set your wand down and not flowing water you will over heat. Adjust and try to keep water flowing as much as you can.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I agree with above that you need some way to relieve the water temp when laying the wand down for even a short time. If you don't already have one you may need to get a bypass valve for your wand. @rob allen sells a kit to put on an existing wand if you need one.