Health Risks and Chemistry | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Health Risks and Chemistry

Pegasus67

Nov 27, 2019
Real Name
Charles Schappel
Recently I was mixing my prespray Grand Slam from Matrix ( JonDon’s custom brand) and I noticed the consistency had changed (for the better). Curious, I read the label closely and noticed a warning that I don’t remember seeing before. : Using this product may expose user to 1,4-dioxane , which is none by the state of California to cause cancer.
Can anybody tell me more about this? And how can I protect myself and my customers from dangerous chemicals?
What other hazardous solutions are out there? Who makes products that are designed for low health risk?

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
Recently I was mixing my prespray Grand Slam from Matrix ( JonDon’s custom brand) and I noticed the consistency had changed (for the better). Curious, I read the label closely and noticed a warning that I don’t remember seeing before. : Using this product may expose user to 1,4-dioxane , which is none by the state of California to cause cancer.
Can anybody tell me more about this? And how can I protect myself and my customers from dangerous chemicals?
What other hazardous solutions are out there? Who makes products that are designed for low health risk?
2 things,
Firstly everything is a cancer risk in California
Secondly at end use dilution most products are considered safe.
After being rinsed out and further diluted they're even safer.

That said, be wise and wear gloves when mixing concentrates

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Sawing a piece if wood in half poses the same health risk according to that state. Everyones home is built 100% from possible cancerous materials according to prop 65. Touching any electrical cord poses possible exposure to lead known to the state of california to cause cancer. Its all blown out of proportion.

Pegasus67

Nov 27, 2019
Real Name
Charles Schappel
Sawing a piece if wood in half poses the same health risk according to that state. Everyones home is built 100% from possible cancerous materials according to prop 65. Touching any electrical cord poses possible exposure to lead known to the state of california to cause cancer. Its all blown out of proportion.
I found a you tube video on that specific chemical and they talked about concentrations that were numerically very small risk,which is probably the case here, however an accumulation in our water supply can have profound problems for a community. Therefore if there are comparable products without it, why not try them ?
Frankly I am suspicious about what we may be doing to ourselves from medicines that don’t filter out at the water treatment plant as well as pesticides on our foods ( many of those are banned in other countries) and of course the chemicals in consumer products. Could this be the reason our health care costs are double other countries?
Please cut me a little slack as I have an autistic son.

Smtwn janitorial

Sep 21, 2016
Real Name
Matt ross
I have cancer and I try to stay reasonable about my chemical intake. Most don't take even the most basic precautions of gloves or a respirator while mixing. Use correct pressure with your hydro force, correct jets, keep it close to the carpet. There are many many accusations about chemicals. Fewer truly established facts. Do what you can, but stay balanced in my opinion. Stress about chemicals and our health can ruin our quality of life much more than using some round up or pre spray. Again, just my opinion. Sorry about your son, I cannot imagine.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Grand Slam was my main pre-spray for a lot of years and I used many, many cases of it w/o a problem either to me or my customers. I think it still is Jondon's top sell or at least it has been for many years so they've literally sold tons of it. If any customer had more than a minor complaint I would have been looking high and low for a replacement. However, as time went on and carpets changed over the years I found it less than satisfactory for a lot of polys unless it was boosted with citrus. In some cases, it was an utter failure w/o being boosted. Jondon sells a LOT of pre-sprays and it is a headache to try and figure out which is best. Some I can tell you are almost totally useless while some others work quite well. I like to keep at least one container of enzyme handy and I've used several brands with good results including Klenz, Matrix, and one of @rob allen TMF products that worked very well too and I'm just about out of it right now. I don't think there is a significant health risk to Grand Slam unless you drink it, splash it in your eyes, or decide to take a bath in it. I would also highly recommend not using the higher dilution of it in your Hydroforce. I still use another knock off product which is the same as Grand Slam on some carpets, but usually, I only use about 16 oz. in a 1:4 Hydroforce and boost if needed. I agree with the above statement about California. They are stark, raving mad.

Reactions: keep it clean

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
I found a you tube video on that specific chemical and they talked about concentrations that were numerically very small risk,which is probably the case here, however an accumulation in our water supply can have profound problems for a community. Therefore if there are comparable products without it, why not try them ?
Frankly I am suspicious about what we may be doing to ourselves from medicines that don’t filter out at the water treatment plant as well as pesticides on our foods ( many of those are banned in other countries) and of course the chemicals in consumer products. Could this be the reason our health care costs are double other countries?
Please cut me a little slack as I have an autistic son.
Dont take what i said as picking on you. Im just saying take those warnings with a grain of salt. They put that label on everything.

Use common sense like wear gloves as what was already mentioned. A mask will do you good for mixing powders. And dont dump it. Send it to the treatment plant. Or better yet. Use a different chem.

*Check the sds sheets. They should all be available to you online to print out. Probably a good idea to put a copy in a binder on the truck. As osha will require it if you are ever approached by them.

Last edited:

StevenB.

Sep 29, 2012
Wheatland,Ca.
www.stevescarpetcare.com
Real Name
Steve Baker
Business Location
United States
Actually most of the warnings about cancer when you buy a home in California are centered around formaldehyde, solvents and adhesives that may have been used in the construction or materials to build your home. I used to be HCUD certified when I sold trailers I mean mobile homes.

Y'all bagging on my state pretty hard. I'm real happy out here, and as far as I know, I can order and use most any product you can. Yeah my state goes overboard on these things but really they offer them as disclaimers more than any sort of oppressive regulation.

My largest complaint about living here centers around fuel. We get over taxed and gouged by the refineries every year. We are severely restricted when it comes to generators, truck mount engines, lawn mowers and such. I was forced to buy a cordless mower because the gas powered mowers always needed to have the O rings in the carb replaced once or twice a year. Yeah I'm familiar with fuel stabilizers.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Actually most of the warnings about cancer when you buy a home in California are centered around formaldehyde, solvents and adhesives that may have been used in the construction or materials to build your home. I used to be HCUD certified when I sold trailers I mean mobile homes.

Y'all bagging on my state pretty hard. I'm real happy out here, and as far as I know, I can order and use most any product you can. Yeah my state goes overboard on these things but really they offer them as disclaimers more than any sort of oppressive regulation.

My largest complaint about living here centers around fuel. We get over taxed and gouged by the refineries every year. We are severely restricted when it comes to generators, truck mount engines, lawn mowers and such. I was forced to buy a cordless mower because the gas powered mowers always needed to have the O rings in the carb replaced once or twice a year. Yeah I'm familiar with fuel stabilizers.
I stopped using pump gas. And use canned gas for lawn equipment. I haven't had a problem since. No stabilizers needed. Its expensive though so i limit it to weed wacker, chainsaws, and mowers. Generator or larger would cost too much to feed at 20 a gal. I just leave a small amount of fuel in the tank at end of season. I used to drain them but found out i was drying out all the seals and gaskets that way.

Reactions: StevenB.

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
If you're worried about it, go green seal, many very good products out now that are green seal with a comparable cost. Keep in mind that just because it's green doesn't change the fact that it's a chemical. It still poses risks and you should be mindful and practice safe handling.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
I use the canned gas for my stihl chainsaw. It works great but is priced like race gas.
Lol yes it is. But it saves you money in repairs in long run. Plus that is a fine piece of equipment you dont want to be putting watered down gas in. Nothing worse then pulling that cord and no fire up.

Reactions: StevenB.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States

Its not the regulation. Its the overuse of warnings. Even something as simple as kids playsand has the warning label on it. It contains the same material as tile, thinset/grout, mortar, hardybacker. Cinder block, drywall, joint compound... then to the latex paint, romex, light switches, the 2x4's, the plywood, even the nails all have this warning we ignore. But because of its overuse we ignore it now completely.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States

I agree it should be more focused on real threats like formaldehyde which is still used in some things. Thankfully not carpet anymore.

Reactions: Robert86

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
The biggest 2 concerns with chemistry is the use and over use of products that were designed for outdoors not in. Second, we atomize sprays with Hydroforces and other sprayers. Then it’s superheated with Truckmounts.

Toxic chems+atomizing+heat=Lung, tissue and adverse health effects.

Pegasus67

Nov 27, 2019
Real Name
Charles Schappel
Thanks for all the replies. I think I’ll try some other presprays and see if there is something that I like as much. I am not going to go crazy and return what I got, but I will factor health into my choices going forward.

Reactions: Smtwn janitorial

Steven88

Banned
Jan 23, 2020
Real Name
Steven Edmond
Sure, thanks a lot. To choose the best lawnmower...See ya spammer

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom Forsythe

Mar 20, 2006
Salt lake City, UT
For perspective, coffee was on the prop 65 list for a few months. For the first time in my memory, Prop 65 revised themselves and took coffee off the prop 65 list.

Several trace ingredients sometimes need to be listed on the label depending on the amount in the formula. Once diluted out the level is probably close to the level of arsenic in drinking water. These trace ingredients are not intentionally added but can be traces leftover from chemical reactions. Several are highly volatile and will rapidly evaporate away during chemical formulation. A lot of green ingredients will have these traces listed.

In short, a good regulation did not know where to stop, so that these warnings are ignored. Many prop 65 chemicals should not be used. Over the years, we followed the lead of Prop 65 and found safer and functional substitutes.

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
For perspective, coffee was on the prop 65 list for a few months. For the first time in my memory, Prop 65 revised themselves and took coffee off the prop 65 list.

Several trace ingredients sometimes need to be listed on the label depending on the amount in the formula. Once diluted out the level is probably close to the level of arsenic in drinking water. These trace ingredients are not intentionally added but can be traces leftover from chemical reactions. Several are highly volatile and will rapidly evaporate away during chemical formulation. A lot of green ingredients will have these traces listed.

In short, a good regulation did not know where to stop, so that these warnings are ignored. Many prop 65 chemicals should not be used. Over the years, we followed the lead of Prop 65 and found safer and functional substitutes.
All the studies done around coffee are pretty skewed except a few of the more recent ones.

For a long time they kept changing whether it is good for you or not.

The problem is they were grouping ALL coffee drinkers together, that includes the people who go to starbucks and order a 1000 calorie, 90grams of sugar triple fudge macchiato with whip cream, and also anyone who at home even puts an entire tablespoon of sugar in their coffee.

All the studies on str8 black coffee show that it's a great antioxidant and possibly even helps prevent a lot of health issues.

Reactions: Robert86

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
All the studies on str8 black coffee show that it's a great antioxidant and possibly even helps prevent a lot of health issues.
Up to 4 cups per day. More than that starts to increase chances of various health issues. Everything in moderation.

Reactions: ACP