Heading Off the TRICLOSAN Panic

Discussion in 'Bio-Hazard, Crime Scene, Trauma, Cleanup Forum' started by Mama Fen, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Mama Fen

Mama Fen Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2012
    Female
    Supply/distribution
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +2,162 / 0 / -0
    Those of you who work with antimicrobials have probably already heard that the FDA is banning the sale of triclosan starting in September of this year.

Triclosan (Sarna, CareOne, Lexol, etc) is a member of the phenol family that has been abundantly used in hand soaps, antiseptic washes, and hand sanitizers for years.

Recently, the FDA decided that while the compound does not seem to pose any significant health risk when used as directed, it does not meet the standards to be GRAE, or Generally Regarded As Effective.

Since GRAS/GRAE ratings are tied together in any consumer-purchased products, any products containing triclosan will be yanked from shelves this fall.

Don't let your customers panic and think the're being poisoned, lol. It's not being pulled because it's dangerous, it's being pulled because they frankly don't see it having any positive effects. Casual use (especially incorrect use) can lead to microbial resistance, so the decision was made to just remove the temptation.

Be aware, benzalkonium chloride (used often in wipes and towelettes) will be coming under the gun within the next 1-3 years as well for the same reasons.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Mike Krall

Premium VIP

Apr 24, 2013
    Male
    New York
    Ratings:
    +8,288 / 15 / -0
    Wasn't there a case were bacteria actually grew within soap containing that chemical?

I've always steered my customers away from that stuff from the beginning. Most people don't even wash their hands long enough for it to be effective. "What do you mean I have to use warm water and get my hands wet for for than a micro second?"

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. LookNGood

LookNGood Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Male
    Ratings:
    +3,087 / 14 / -0
    I'm sure there was. In high school we grew several different bacterial cultures in several different hand soaps

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mama Fen

Mama Fen Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2012
    Female
    Supply/distribution
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +2,162 / 0 / -0
    Yes, most "customer-oriented" triclosan products only contain about .1 to .3% active ingredient, to keep them from being toxic or poisonous in case of accidental ingestion (read: little kid thinks it's juice and chugs it).

So it's such a small dose, it doesn't really have the contact time needed to actually kill anything.

Plus, exposure to air breaks triclosan down rapidly, so leaving a bar of antimicrobial soap out in the shower means the triclosan stopped working right around day 2.

• Like Like x 2