Hazy tile ... | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Hazy tile ...

JDinAZ

Oct 26, 2018
Real Name
Josh DiGiovanni
My last two tile jobs have given me some trouble... after the tile dried there were certain areas that had a hazy finish on them.. I have not changed anything in my regimen .. Prespray with GM 2 scoops to a gallon, agitation and rinse with my hydro force...after the tile dried, I tried buffing the spots out... then rinsed again with hot water.. . then went in with an acid cleaner to wipe down the specific areas... which helped but I would love to prevent this from happening or understand why it’s happening so I’m not getting calls to go back out... I use cold water when mixing my GM and I also only do small
Sections so the GM is never drying ...
1C94AE5A-FFF7-4DED-BB3B-7A01917F8C70.jpeg

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Try cutting the Groutmaster to 1 -1.5 scoops per gallon and see if that helps. I’ve always used 3 scoops to a 2 gallon sprayer with great results. I’ll cut it down to 1 scoop per gallon (or less) on stone and lightly soiled jobs.

I also take a slightly damp clean mop to the tile as soon as I’m done with each area so the tile is dry within a minute or two. This may also help you out.

Reactions: JDinAZ

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
Three reason show up again and again as cause for hazy tile.
  • Solution dried on the floor. This can have residue from the powdered cleaning solution or it can be soil suspended in the water that was not removed or it can simply be minerals in hard water. Even if your steps are the same, the water you are using may be different. Were these two jobs in rural areas or different cities? Did you use softened water? Acid wipe can help but may not completely correct if the acid is in a solution with hard water.
  • Sealer haze. Grout lines should be sealed, but not ceramic tile. If the sealer intended for the grout lines gets on the tile, the tile will dry hazy. This can often be seen on the first cleaning after new construction or remodel. The contractors people do a sloppy job of sealing and get the seal everywhere.
  • Efflorescence - minerals, many of the same minerals found in hard water. Caused by moisture traveling through cementitious materials. Can be grout or concrete under the grout. The source of the moisture could be many things from a high water table to your cleaning solution and dozens of other possibilities. Could be a chapter of a book for all the possible causes and the cure.
You could start with my guide to Stone, Tile & Grout Maintenance available from Interlink Supply. Email Nancy Stoker for a copy - nstoker@interlinksupply.com

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
Its chemical residue for sure.
I use 2-3oz per gallon of GM.
Make sure you rinse thoroughly and don't trek back through any solution onto cleaned areas. Watch for footprints or dragged hoses.
Then as Todd said, a quick flat mop over the cleaned areas will help dry and even out the floor.

Reactions: jtsunbrite

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
My last two tile jobs have given me some trouble... after the tile dried there were certain areas that had a hazy finish on them.. I have not changed anything in my regimen .. Prespray with GM 2 scoops to a gallon, agitation and rinse with my hydro force...after the tile dried, I tried buffing the spots out... then rinsed again with hot water.. . then went in with an acid cleaner to wipe down the specific areas... which helped but I would love to prevent this from happening or understand why it’s happening so I’m not getting calls to go back out... I use cold water when mixing my GM and I also only do small
Sections so the GM is never drying ...
View attachment 86444
What an ugly tile layout lol

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
Its chemical residue for sure.
I use 2-3oz per gallon of GM.
Make sure you rinse thoroughly and don't trek back through any solution onto cleaned areas. Watch for footprints or dragged hoses.
Then as Todd said, a quick flat mop over the cleaned areas will help dry and even out the floor.
I agree reclean it and always rinse with a mop to even the appearance out.... good job

Joe cool

Jan 8, 2015
Real Name
Joe
Go over each area 3 or 4 times before you move on or just rinse the whole are a few times to be sure its chemical free .
Neutral cleaner on a flat mop right before it dries is a big help too .

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
do you have a portable or TM?????

also most of my grout haze clears up with an alcaline rinse!!!!!
not acid rinse for some odd reason.......