Have you ever owned another business? If so list them.

Discussion in 'Starting Your Business' started by rob allen, Sep 8, 2013.

1. rob allen

rob allen Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

Sep 5, 2007
    Male
    President
    Va.
    Ratings:
    +26,640 / 83 / -0
    How many business's have you owned?
    I have owned and still own a few. Just wondering if anyone else has. It can be Amway to Travel business to anything else. What was your experience with the other business? I'll start;

1) Flat broke started carpet cleaning company 1985-1992 with a Kirby shampooer and moved to Von Schraders (Dyna-Clean)
    2) Bought a "mailing/shipping" store. (Wish I would have kept it now since I sell a few items)
    3) I sold my carpet business in 1992. (Made a lot & took 3 years off. It was a 5 truck operation. If I hadn't sold it where would be double my size today,but would not be so diversified)
    4) Started,owned and sold vacuum store chain 1988-1991 (Jumped out market because of vacuums being sold cheap in dime stores)
    5) Started another carpet company late 1993-present (Drynclean)
    6) Started a termite & pest control company late 1993-present (Zap Pest Control)
    7) Started a water damage company (Flood-X) 2000-present
    8) Started TMF with my son in 2007
    9) Started a rug spa 2012-present
    10) Started Clean Informer magazine with my son. 2013-present

Who knows but I hear most men don't become extremely successful until there late 40's and 50's. I'm 53 and feel more focused than ever. I am always keeping my eyes open. About 15 years ago I invested in land in Wilmington NC. (A friend of mine is a land developer there and he said buy acres because it would skyrocket in value back then) Just about every penny profit I make I try to invest in real estate. (You will find real estate to be the best investments over time)

Over the last year and half I have been reading every marketing piece I can get my hands on and meeting with entrepreneurs who have broken through the glass ceiling,including but not limited to IBM former president,Howard Partridge,Joe Polish,Score,the former owner of Pioneer Eclipse,Liberty Tax franchise owner and Fritz Thompson who owns the carpet cleaning franchise PCS.

How about you? Have you ever owned another bushiness?

Rob

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. AJS Cleaning & Restoration

Jul 15, 2013
    Male
    Construction, Janitorial, Carpet Cleaning
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +180 / 0 / -0
    I think it's a good idea for guys who have owned/currently own another business to reply to a thread like that I think it may be helpful, especially for us newbies who are looking for someone who could help - for example my dad and I own a small handyman/construction company and Id be open to helping anyone who has questions in that field of work. That's why I say it would be helpful for us newbies, say a few guys here have air duct cleaning companies, marketing companies, and so on.. it would be nice to know who they are in case we need help - heck if I knew someone here does seo marketing I'd look into hiring them to help me out a bit!

Sent from my HTCONE using TMF Forums mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  3. 1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Staff Member Moderator Premium VIP

Mar 30, 2010
    Male
    texas
    Ratings:
    +18,621 / 84 / -0
    I think it would/could be a good thread to not only share how you succeeded but also past failures.

I had a painting and drywall repair business in the late 90's and if only lasted about 2 years because I was young, dumb, had no idea what I was doing business wise and I had no one to turn to for direction.

• Like Like x 3
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Troyster

Troyster Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2013
    Male
    Carpet, Upholstery, Tile & Grout Cleaner
    Terrace BC
    Ratings:
    +5,644 / 45 / -0
    Computer Repair Technician Business > you think carpet customers are cheap > think again! I hardly made enough bananas to survive!

• Like Like x 2
  5. rob allen

rob allen Administrator

Sep 5, 2007
    Male
    President
    Va.
    Ratings:
    +26,640 / 83 / -0
    Thanks. I just edited the title and poll. :)

• Like Like x 2
  6. GreenTechAgain

GreenTechAgain Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Owner/Operator
    Holiday, FL
    Ratings:
    +1,489 / 6 / -0
    Vending route.

Started with 2 machines that I bought on ebay on a whim. Within 2 years had 'bout 185 machines.

The money was great, but the customers sucked. You would not believe the way some people will break your balls over .75 cents.

An example, a big muckey-muck leaves a note that I have to go see him in his office. Sitting on his desk is a bag of chips. The bag was empty, but full of air and unless you shook it, you wouldn't know. Like I was trying to screw him. Unbelievable.

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. WillnDeb

WillnDeb Well-Known Member

May 11, 2011
    Ratings:
    +3,919 / 6 / -0
    About a million years ago I owned a Bonded Private Security company,,,,,insanity.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo Hacking my way though life, one room at a time.

Apr 25, 2011
    Male
    Owner/Operator
    San Pedro, Ca
    Ratings:
    +17,282 / 130 / -0
    Owned a strip club from 96 till 2000. Before that I cleaned carpets for myself till the early 80's.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. WillnDeb

WillnDeb Well-Known Member

May 11, 2011
    Ratings:
    +3,919 / 6 / -0
    The downfall of us all brother!:p

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  10. johnnygraham88

johnnygraham88 Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Owner/Operator
    MN
    Ratings:
    +326 / 2 / -0
    owned a tanning salon when i first moved to the states about 3 years ago....turned a nice profit then sold it in the slow season to buy a house, flipped that place and now am currently trying to flip this one.....i love real estate in the winter....keeps me busy and I enjoy how creative you can be remodeling a house....

• Like Like x 5
  11. jeffk734

jeffk734 Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Male
    Owner Operator
    MI
    Ratings:
    +549 / 15 / -0
    Great thread rob
    Currently own
    Servpro of Desrborn &
    Jkinginvestments LLC which is my real estate investment company.

• Like Like x 1
  12. bjones2004

bjones2004 Active Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Male
    Ratings:
    +435 / 5 / -0
    Real estate is the way to go if you research. That's what my family does. Right now we're trying to seal the deal on an apartment complex I clean at. Should clear about 45 a year until it's paid off. Then it should double.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TMF Forums mobile app

• Like Like x 3
  13. rob allen

rob allen Administrator

Sep 5, 2007
    Male
    President
    Va.
    Ratings:
    +26,640 / 83 / -0
    As a hobby I used to love to flip cars and motorcycles. I would look for rare but not too expensive sports cars and bikes. I have owned 7 Toyota Supras and have the largest Sticky thread on www.supraforums.com. But when the movie came out Fast & Furious the demand went up so much that they are hard to find. But I loved those cars.

The cool thing is you get to drive the cars for a Summer or so and then sell and make a lot profit. :)

Here is the thread if you want to see it;

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sh...pra-Roll-Call...NO-BS-No-Chat-No-More-No-Less...

I have the first one on there. Mine was the rarest Supra color sent to the US called RSP. Only 10 were sold here. To me it was the best car ever sold in the US. That's just me though. I find Japanese cars and motorcycles really hold their value well. I wonder why? Quality? ;)

14. bjones2004

bjones2004 Active Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Male
    Ratings:
    +435 / 5 / -0
    I've flipped a couple cars. Last one I did was a two door Tahoe. I live near a college town so these kids have their car tear up and they just sell them for cheap. I made 1500 of the Tahoe and drove it for a month. I've been looking for my next.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TMF Forums mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  15. Prosteam-sonomacounty

Premium VIP

Apr 23, 2013
    Male
    Windsor, California
    Ratings:
    +20,769 / 81 / -0
    Two ventures. Both horrible flops. First was a toxic waste watch dog group. We ended up in the news. Long story , not good. Second was a landscape business. Was coming together (sort of ) before we had to move from Sacramento.

16. johnnygraham88

Jan 28, 2012
    Owner/Operator
    MN
    Ratings:
    +326 / 2 / -0
    yes the place we live in and are working on now has been a lot of work and by the time im finished it would of taken us a year but 100% worth it.....im hoping to be our biggest ROI yet.....I would also love to own an apartment building....something I hope we will do in the next 10 years or so but not in MN

• Like Like x 1
  17. johnnygraham88

Jan 28, 2012
    Owner/Operator
    MN
    Ratings:
    +326 / 2 / -0
    I forgot to mention in my previous post....When living in england me and a buddy started importing US classics which he is still doing very well at but I moved to the states.....We imported a 1959 T-Bird and it was the nicest of its year in England that we knew of.....I am in the process of starting to do this again with a cousin back home but we are strictly going to export 95/66 mustangs and i want to import land rover defenders from the UK also....

• Like Like x 3
  18. Mikey34

Mikey34 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2011
    va
    Ratings:
    +1,093 / 45 / -0
    Well I guess I have more than 1 company, I have a construction biz too, general remodeling and handyman repairs, I make more from that than my carpet cleaning. I'm the only 1 though, I'm not a huge operation with tons of employees.

I also repair cars on the side, flipped a car and have a couple investment condos I bought fixed and rent out.

It's funny how we all have these little ways to make a buck....

• Like Like x 3
  19. Steve Toburen

Steve Toburen Strategies for Success

Jul 15, 2008
    Director of Training, Jon-Don's Strategies for Suc
    Santiago, Dominican Republic
    Ratings:
    +2,407 / 8 / -0
    Started with a little janitorial service way back in 1969 at the tender age of 16.

Over the years I owned a remodeling company, a chimney sweeping business, an auction service, a computer systems house and of course a four truck mount carpet cleaning/restoration business that I sold in 1991.

Steve

PS Honestly, I find most non-synergistic business "digressions" are non-productive. The old phrase "stick to your knitting" is just so true. (Your results may vary.)

• Like Like x 1
  20. AJS Cleaning & Restoration

Jul 15, 2013
    Male
    Construction, Janitorial, Carpet Cleaning
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +180 / 0 / -0
    That's my exact situation.. however I use subs for a lot of the construction/handyman work - weve got jobs scheduled for the next 2 months, however carpet cleaning.. if I get one call a week Im happy. Trying to work on that still.. good to know there's someone else who's in a similar situation..

Sent from my HTCONE using TMF Forums mobile app

• Like Like x 1