Have franchises impacted your business negatively?

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Is ZeroRez or a similar large franchise in your area yet? If so have you been sued by them? How has it effected your business? Has any franchise set up in your area and impacted your business negatively or financially?

*I asked this because I get private messages by cleaners who have gotten sued by franchise's. (For example "no residue")

Jun 26, 2010
TX
Real Name
Eric O'Bryan
Business Location
United States
Wow, Would love to know the details of any suit against a competitor from ZeroRez. Difficult to imagine unless there was proof of slander.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Wow, Would love to know the details of any suit against a competitor from ZeroRez. Difficult to imagine unless there was proof of slander.
I'll see if I can dig up the letter.

Jun 26, 2010
TX
Real Name
Eric O'Bryan
Business Location
United States
We have a ZeroRez in my area and I get quite a bit of customer complaints about them. I always tell my customers “I’m so sorry to hear that” and say nothing further.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I feel like franchises help my business oddly enough, they charge more money and do lesser quality work. Therefore I charge more money and create loyal customers.
Reasons?

Profits first
Spread thin
Quality harder maintain with size
Employee issues spill over
Limited time and resources to do job right

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
Is ZeroRez or a similar large franchise in your area yet? If so have you been sued by them? How has it effected your business? Has any franchise set up in your area and impacted your business negatively or financially?

*I asked this because I get private messages by cleaners who have gotten sued by franchise's. (For example "no residue")
The opposite is true. I thrive because of them. I have about 200 cc's in my service area.( about 10 franchised). I won't derail your thread, so I wait for an opportunity to voice my opinion on reversed topic.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
The opposite is true. I thrive because of them. I have about 200 cc's in my service area.( about 10 franchised). I won't derail your thread, so I wait for an opportunity to voice my opinion on reversed topic.
No. Please do. Love to hear all perspectives

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
Reasons?

Profits first
Spread thin
Quality harder maintain with size
Employee issues spill over
Limited time and resources to do job right
I think what I meant to convey is what someone else said - I receive more customers because the franchises do poor work.

Oct 3, 2018
Real Name
Emerson Campbell
I worked at a ZeroRez for the past year before it closed down and for the most part customers loved us. Personally I feel like its a good/great product with very impressive results but the upper level corporate people and the call centers ruin the experience. I got more complaints about the experience booking the jobs than I did about my work or my pricing.

The point I'm trying to make is corporate franchises make things more difficult but will help get you more customers. Privately owned ones I've seen usually have a much better reputation because the owner is treating it like his own business and not just one small part.

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
Its still a bigger CC outfit with low paid employees trying to squeeze every cent of profit.

We have them here and they do 3 rooms/139$ which I consider to be pretty low for a market that easily supports a $200 minimum and .50cents+ psf

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States

Sued???!?!?!

Why would they sue us(or who ever it was)?

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
No. Please do. Love to hear all perspectives
Customers starting to realize( finally) that big name on the van won't guarantee great results. That's why they turning more often to small companies in hope to get their monies worth.
In recent weeks I've been"granted" a few customers who didn't even bother to call franchise crew for redo. Most recent one ended up having dry in their name. I learned that their crew didn't use shoe covers, use suggestive language, sexist comments towards female customer and were able to turn 2 quarter size pink lemonade stains to a 10" diameter purple-platinum color monsters. To make things worse, they refused to leave the house...
Stay humble, polite and professional...

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
I have to agree on a couple fronts.

Franchises have employees. Anyone that deals with customer service these days knows how difficult it is to get good employees. Then there is the training part and oversight part. In larger franchises this should be the smaller of the problems because they should have an organized, written training and followup program in place.

Even if the customer has a great experience with a well trained employee at a great price, the large franchises are still a benefit to us Owner Operators. THEY do all the expensive TV and mailer advertising for us. It only brings awareness of the need for carpet cleaning. Every time a there is a marketing push by Stanley Steemer in our area, I get more calls.

Its kinda like McDonalds. They pour huge amounts of money into picking the right location for their buildings. All that Burger King and all the rest have to do is find a location next to or near where McDonalds builds. Everybody wins